Eyes, Legs, Gut

…two screws in my back,
a young man in a wheelchair
was saying.

I didn’t get screwed like you did,
but they got my eyeball,
said another baby-faced guy,
his grin reaching one eye…
then the other.

The wheelchaired young man,
quizzical look brightening his face,
leaned closer to his companion.
Ah! I see it.
They gave you any fun eyes?
A buddy of mine got shot in the back of the head—
everyone thought he was off
to guard the pearly gates;
heck, knowing him, I thought
he would probably be made
a badass usher at hell’s doors—anyway,
the lucky fuck only got a popped eyeball
and a bald spot.
They gave him a regular eye;
an ocular prosthesis, they call it.
It looks really real—brown like his other one,
but shinier, like yours looks.
They gave him an 8-ball, too;
his fun eye, he calls it.
And an eyeball with an EGA
that looks badass.

I must’ve been staring at the man on wheels,
from where I stood
at the threshold of my GI doctor’s waiting room,
because he looked at me,
raised eyebrow at the ready,
and said,
You look too whole
to be in this place.
What did they get you for?

A bad gut feeling, I told him with a smile.

Shit! he said, shaking his head.

Yeah, I agreed, before heading to the nurse’s station.

I was checking in with the nurse,
my back to the man who walks on wheels,
when I heard him say,
See that girl,
with fine legs up to her neck,
she got shot in the gut,
and they couldn’t fix her right,
so they gave her that fine butt
and a blood-pumping smile to make up for it.

The nurse and I shrugged at the same time,
and I thought,
“When in doubt, whip it out”, Devil Dog.
Then I turned around,
set my sights on the wheelchaired guy’s widen eyes,
smacked my thigh hard,
and shot him my wickedest smile.


***
Note: Yesterday, after a hospital visit, my dear friend, Sarah, shared the image below with me. I looked at it and burst into tears and smiles. Mellie Moss, the artist who created this symbolic bit of beauty, described it as, “A quick little ‘get well soon’ sketch for a friend. (Normally I wouldn’t include a grenade in a ‘get well soon’ sketch but it was pertinent in this case.)” Her art and intent has touched me. Sarah’s gesture warmed my heart and made my soul dance (she didn’t know it, but yesterday was rough on me, and the sight of a grenade upcycled into a daisy flower vase smoothed my day back to pure awesome).

“Get Well Soon”, by Mellie Moss

37 comments:

  1. I couldn't imagine a more perfect sketch for you. Thank goodness for the small kindnesses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a jewel, isn't it? Healing with personality. ;-)

      Delete
  2. What an amazing "glimpse of life" poem, a survival grin and a get well son card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "a survival grin"; I like that!

      Delete
  3. A lot of thought went into that sketch! A lot of heart went into those words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw these people every time I took Dad to VA. You have painted a truthful word picture with great talent and your friend sent the perfect card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy that you saw them, for must people seem not to see them all...

      Delete
  5. Oh my....I have a shudder running from toe to scalp....*teary eyes too*. That sketch is perfection XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only fair. Crying alone is such a bother... ;-) ♥

      Delete
  6. The too real humor bonds the survivors and the art seals the deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "...to real humor"; I like how that sounds.

      Delete
  7. I am BEYOND honored that you like the sketch and this poem is....amazing! Thank you for what you did and what you do. xoxo Mellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the sketch, Melissa. You've created something with all sorts of life, a piece of life that speaks to so many. Thank you! ♥

      Delete
  8. Darling Witchy Marine, I couldn't believe it when I saw this piece by Melissa Moss on the self taught artist feed. It was "so you". The Universe was sending you a "feel better" message I guess. Hugs,, love, and daisy-filled grenades, dear one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your soul sees so much, my beloved Sexy Sister Sarah... And I'm so happy that I'm under your soul's eye. ♥

      Delete
  9. Gods! How your friends know and love you :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a lucky witchy woman, aren't I? Surrounded by friends who aren't only good looking, but also perceptive and giving. *giggles* ♥

      Delete
  10. Yeah! Keep on booty slappin'!

    ReplyDelete
  11. absolutely beautiful!. I know u will frame that piece of art.. the love in it is oozing... love that badass poem..there's strength in those we don;t expect to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you know? I will totally ask Melissa if it's okay to frame it. ;-D

      Delete
  12. You are loved, uniquely and widely Ms Wicked... love the artwork that accompanies this tale of survival and sass :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've made me smile from the inside out, my Shelle. ♥

      Delete
    2. I keep on thinking of being "loved, uniquely and widely" and grinning. *hehehe*

      Delete
  13. I'm sorry that yesterday was so rough 😣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all good now! And guess what? I had a certain wine-red afghan with me, which made the "rough" way more bearable. ♥♥

      Delete
  14. Got about five lines in and thought it sounded like a VA hospital... Yep.

    Gotta love the way those Devil Dogs growl.
    I mean that sincerely, by the way.
    What do Marines say that means something like, "you go girl"? Insert that *here.*

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the poem and drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful words from a talented lady, and the drawing also speaks a thousand words. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That drawing can tell all kinds of tales, indeed!

      Delete
  17. Interesting image. Being the age I am it made me think of flower children putting daisies in the business end of rifles during the social unrest of the 60s. (♪♪Where have all the flowers gone...♪♪) Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life happens in wondrous circles, doesn't it? I think our world would be so much better, so different, if those with the power to make the change happen weren't so adept at ignoring history.

      Now I have an image of a rifle shooting wild flowers. Thank you for the thoughts... and right back at you. ♥

      Delete
  18. Your words and that sketch touched my heart! Love you my friend and keeping on slapping ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The slapping shall never stop! ♥

      Delete