Nightmares Can’t Fly, but Vultures…

It’s official. My blackout poetry writing skills suck mildly rotten toes. And I’m pretty sure that I’m suffering of SOBC (Severe Over-Blacking Compulsion). You see, my Wicked Luvs, the poem I meant to write was supposed to read:
A nightmare crashed
into a vulture,
was carried off
into a broken window
of dark clouds

adrift and furious,
in a light boat

the bird is
waiting to dream 

Nevertheless, I can’t be trusted with a black marker… I’m not sure how it happened; not really. I mean, I had circled all the words. There I was, at my neurologist’s waiting room—reading (rather loudly) about nightmares, vultures, dark clouds and adrift fury (and perhaps grinning a lot at the twitchy looks I was getting from the reception nurse). Anyhoo… somehow, the gluttonous marker devoured some of the words I needed for my first EVER blackout poem. Here is the post-marker-chomping result:
A nightmare
crashed
into a vulture

adrift and furious

waiting to dream

I was a bit annoyed. I liked the first poem, and my SOBC robbed me of it. But after a while, I said: “It’s your first one, witchy woman. Give yourself a break or three.” That lifted my mood high enough to read the poem with fresh eyes (and without glaring at it). 

The second, third, fifth… readings showed me something new: the missing words give the salvaged poem an air of ambiguity, which I find quite delightful. Without the words consumed by the marker, it is impossible to tell who is “adrift and furious” and “waiting to dream”. I like that. I like it a lot. The thought of a nightmare waiting to dream brings all sorts of interesting images, questions and story ideas to my Muse’s head.

Also, I didn’t miss the fact that this situation is a bit of a Freudian mirror when compared to my current health issues. I remember what my body was capable of doing before my bones and muscles began to weaken. The recalling saddens me, at times… But I’ve never fallen so deep into the dumps of blackness to miss the gifts: being in pain sucks fully rotten toes, but my troubles remind me of just how strong my witchy soul and I can be when we must be. And that, my Wicked Luvs, is worth a lot.

my first EVER black out poem
yep, there is room for improvement 
a whole lot of room *cough*

43 comments:

  1. Oh, and strong you are, Witchy-One. I really like your "first EVER black out poem". Just keep a leash on that gluttonous marker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I make a wild belt with the leash? I think I'm gonna... *hehehe*

      Delete
  2. Aw...the marker was bored at the drs. office, that's all! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, enjoyed the over zealous marker poem the best! Glad you were playing twitchy with the reception crew. You probably made their day! Love your strength and your determination to make art through the pain. You are always in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something magical about the things we do when our hands are guided my the eyes of the soul. Chaos is a great place for rebirth and 13th chances.

      Delete
  4. Can I be controversial and say I like the second version that happened by accident better than the one which was originally in your head. It might have fewer words but it speaks louder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can be controversial together. And it seems that Sharon is swinging the say way. The second allows for more freedom of thought, and I really love that. ♥

      Delete
  5. Umm, I'm gonna jump on that bandwagon and join the crew who think the second one, after the over zealous black marker got it's teeth into play, is better. Blackout poems always bring out the best of the underlying train of thought... <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This might be an exercise on control for me. Letting things go (a bit, we can't get crazy either *hehehe*) can render wonderful results. So we shall let the marker exercise its creativity.

      Delete
  6. I'll join in with the others and say I like the "openness" of the second markered verse. I think that sometimes the accidental is much more purposeful than we even know. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the expression "markered verse" way better than the existing name for the practice. Blackout Poetry sounds like we don't want the other words, and that isn't true, we just want to use them now. Markered Verse (or poetry) makes me feel like wall the words on the page are important, but the ones markered hold a higher status at the moment.

      Delete
    2. And I agree with your "openness" statement, dear Oma. ♥

      Delete
  7. How about...candle wax over the words you want and a paint wash over the whole thing? Protect those words! Maybe the sweet, sweet aroma of the sharpie got to you, so you scribbled away in a Coleridgian haze?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it! I forgot to "Beware! Beware!" and "Weave a circle round" my selected words "thrice". That "milk of Paradise" they spike the sharpies with is mighty potent when sniffed, it seems. *cough*

      Delete
    2. Let me get my dulcimer. I'm already wearing "fast thick pants"

      Delete
  8. I think it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little poem that could! ;-D

      Delete
  9. the intended version was good, but I think I like the unintended version better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are no coincidences.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The mysterious magic of blackout poetry is the fact that there is no right or wrong way of going about it. I think you did a magnificent job creating both images that you had in mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The first poem is so beautiful! But there are no accidents... the economy of words and missing information in the second are spine-tingly! I love it!!! Fortune favours the brave marker! ;)

    Thanks to your inspiration, I made a "first EVER black out poem" the other day too. I might share it on one of the upcoming blog parties.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both sound good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The more black the better, loving the 'finished' work, that marker knew what it was doing ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The marker looks very intelligent.

      Delete
  15. I really like them both, though they do different things.
    Lovely, Magaly.

    The marker could have been reflecting the inevitable dark mood one gets from sitting in doctors' offices. Or is that just me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good visit. But you are right; visits to the doctor are seldom a joyful experience. Maybe the marker was in a bad moot. ;-D

      Delete
  16. Two very good poems, but yes the ambiguity of the second speaks to me. LOL, it's like Bob Ross's happy little accidents that he turns into a tree in one of his paintings - just go with it and feel the awesomeness of the spare quality of the final words. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now if I could only have his hair... *grin*

      Delete
  17. Chiming in without reading the other comments (yet).

    I like both poems, but love the second.

    The first version makes me think it is occurring on cliffs with branches where intrepid humans can scale up to see the mysteries unfold. They can see all of the detail and little is left for the imagination to fill-in.

    The second is very airy and away from prying eyes. It can be observed from afar, taking place in the visible unknown. The details areambiguous, leaving room for the personal to fill in that empty space transforming it into a powerful, more meaningfull piece.

    -apologies for any typos, sent from my phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She lives!

      I completely agree. The second poem lets the reader deeper into the words. I like that.

      Delete
  18. You just can't sit still very long! You do make me laugh!
    I like how this looks, and the poem is wonderful! But my dear petulant girl, the blacking out is permanent , you can't manipulate it any further!
    Before you fling your marker, maybe try a RED one, that may calm you! xoDebi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I circled the words before blacking out the rest... But somehow, I blacked out words that were circled and red. Very weird, I know...

      Delete
  19. How fun, should make a black out poetry party, but with something like newspaper articles or something silly like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Newspaper Blackout Poetry is very in right now. I can't stand the feel of newspaper on my skin (fingers), so books will have to do. Yes, I know how strange that sounds... *sigh*.

      Delete
    2. It would be really cool to have a blackout poetry party where everyone created poetry using the same text as a base!

      Delete
  20. This delicious. It makes my eyes taste red hot cinnamon and dark bitter chocolate

    ReplyDelete