Lost in Gender

After delighting in “Aiming High”, a reader told me that she was “confused because [she] couldn’t tell what was going on with [Luminous]. Is Lum a man or a woman? Does the character’s gender even matter to the story, or [was she] driving [her]self crazy for no reason?”  

My full answer might spoil some surprises for those who haven’t read the tales of Lum and Darlene, so I’ll just share the first sentence of my reply to her: “Gender matters a whole lot.”

Gender and sexuality have been at the center of Luminous’ tale from the beginning. When the character first burst out of my head, shoe at the ready, I believed his story was going to be pure humor, “sex and warring.” Then Lum ran into Darlene, and the way they acted towards each other made me look deeper into his background…

You see, my Wicked Luvs, I already knew about Darlene and her ways, so as you might be imagining, I was a tad worried about Lum’s safety. After some time looking into the full-blown mythology that is our Luminous’ backstory, I’m no longer concerned about his wellbeing around Darlene. Nope; not even one bit. And yes, I’m planning to share the mythology in question with you… most likely in the shape of a short story, right before publishing a novella (or full-length novel) set in the world of Lum and Darlene. 
  
Haven’t read their story yet? Fly up to my link bar, click on the Fiction tab, and scrawl down to the Lum and Darlene heading.

Oh, to him, who screamed “AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH. Yet another cliff-hanger”, this part of the adventure will conclude soon, with “G.G.’s Rekindling Spark”.

Read on, my Wicked Luvs. I’ll write… always.        

“Duality is polarity, or the alternating cycles of rhythm and harmony which is all good.” ~ Heline

29 comments:

  1. We get so hung up on gender, don't we? I love this series, Magaly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Debra; worse, we get hung up in our perception of other people's gender. No one can really tell. Not until spending enough time with the person in question or finding out from the person herself or himself. And knowing specifics shouldn't bee such a big deal.

      Delete
  2. I like the switcheroo that happens with the moon. It should be mandatory phasing until the age of 25. Walk a mile in another's stilettos, so to speak! 👠

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I really like the word "switcheroo?. ;D

      Delete
  3. I love your writings, dear Magaly!

    I haven't been able to finish Blooming Howls, I'm having Kindle issues :(

    I'll get there, eventually!

    Have a perfect weekend ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's that mean Kindle doing to my dear Yvonne? ;-)

      Delete
  4. Gender matters most to the person in question, I hope. Here's my take on it: http://susanspoetry.blogspot.com/2015/01/found-nature.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should hope so, too, Susan.

      Delete
    2. "Without foot binding into other
      Gendered shoes."

      This says it all, Susan. Wow.

      Delete
  5. You are a joy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great you have invoked another song to play all day in my teeny tiny head....Bowie...Rebel,Rebel...." Your mum wonders if your a boy or a girl, your face is a mess....lalalal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *must listen to "Rebel, Rebel"

      Delete
  7. I would put my rant about fairy stories here. But I won't. I'll be nice. I'll just point out that to the receiver of the tale, the gender of the Hero doesn't matter. The story matters. Always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I agree with all this (especially with the bit about you being "nice" we'll all know you're bad to the bone). I think gender, as any other element in a story, matters as much as it affects the tale's plot. Like you said, "The story matters. Always." So if the story spins around gender and gender perceptions, then "Gender matters a whole lot", methinks.

      Delete
  8. LOL, you already know my opinion on such matters. It's cool to see an author I respect work with them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost added "Poker Night" as an example of a tale where gender matters quite a bit, but I figured that spoiling the tale for those who haven't read it yet would be kind of terrible. So... I'm leaving the character in question for my next post on gender, sexuality, perceptions and role expectations. *wink, wink*

      Delete
  9. Have to work backwards and read missed posts! With visitors and now pretty much 24/7 to catch up on work looks like I won't get back to my art desk for a bit, I feel like an addict missing... Well.... A hit of 'making marks' on surfaces... Is there such a thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm certain that there has to be such a thing, there must. If not, why are there so many people who can't leave without it, right?

      Take care of your company, have fun, and then make some marks for us to delight in. ;-D

      Delete
  10. Working with a mind-image of Lum and Darlene hanging off a cliff, under the disapproving gaze of G.G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I can't get rid of the image of people hanging off cliffs *cough*...

      Delete
  11. I've missed parts of this story, so I think I'll go back and start it all from the beginning and savour it properly! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one of the problems with web serials... I like them. I like them a lot, but the fact that we don't always have time to read every single post written by every single one of our friends means that we'll miss things. And sometimes going back to reread everything isn't an option.

      Once I bring all the currently "open" mini-series to a satisfying conclusion, I don't think I will write pieces this closely dependent of each other. I will continue to write tales set in the same worlds, but they should stand alone. I think it will make things easier on everyone.

      Delete
  12. I love your words! I love you ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You darling crow woman you! ♥

      Delete
  13. I love Lum and his genderbending ways, I need to read more about Lum and Darlene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His ways have kept me quite interested, too!

      Delete