Hair, Teeth, Poe

It writhes! – it writhes! – with mortal pangs
The mimes become its food,
And the seraphs sob at vermin fangs
In human gore imbued.
~ from “The Conqueror Worm,” in “Ligeia,” by Edgar Allan Poe

We met at a wake.
Mourning shrouded,
everyone in attendance looked…
unattractive;
everyone but her.

I approached her in a daze—
hands trembling,
eyes ensnared by the raven-black
of her naturally-curling tresses,
heart taken by her serene countenance.

Throat clearing gone unacknowledged
filled me with mortal pangs.
I leaned forward,
placing my face as close as propriety allowed.
“Your mane has taken my heart,” I said.

Her ear was frigid to my words.
Unrequired love spooks easily.
Fueled by rejection, I turned to flee.
Then I saw the tremor upon the lips…
a dry line of pearly white.

I hugged her,
kissed the cotton in her mouth;
and before three pallbearers
(who obviously knew nothing about love)
could pull me out of my beloved’s casket,
my teeth bit into her hair
and I swallowed without chewing.
Laughter grew out of my mouth.

Every tongue bellowed, “Mad man!”

I roared louder—mirth fed
by the feeling of her hair coiling rings inside me,
increasing my love forevermore.

***
Shared to celebrate the anniversary of the birth of Edgar Allan Poe, a story crafter who remains darkly inspiring forevermore. “Happy Birthday (from this side of the grave), dearest Poe,” Quoth the Raven (and the wicked witchy writer) “yummily creepy, nevermore!”
Originally published at the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, on 9/9/2014

Victorian Mori Mourning Skull Woven Hair Ring

37 comments:

  1. Dear, sweet wonderful Poe. As Morticia said, "Poe does have a way with whimsy.". As do you, dear soul. As do you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Poe and I love you! This was dark and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, such a deliciously dark post! I love it <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wild and quite dark. I wonder what drove him to behave so. Nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His bleeding heart, I'm sure. ;-D

      Delete
  5. Poe would have loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. deliously dark............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love double d's *cough*

      Delete
  7. Appropriate homage to the great man! Freaky and I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freaky is quite loved around these parts.

      Delete
  8. Oh, I still remember this one! Deliciously creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Ring! Now that is intriguing!...which heartbreaKers hair might that be? Sullen Nevermore old boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "intriguing" is certainly a word for it...

      Delete
  10. I do love Poe.

    You madly followed him. Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully dark and appropriate Magaly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you think so.
      Thanks for flying by;
      you've been missed. ;-)

      Delete
  12. Oh yes, Victorian hair jewelry. Have seen a lot of it in museums here in Canada. Creepy. Very appropriate photo and poem for Poe's birthday today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm... I've never seen any face-to-face (face-to-displaying glass?). Anyhoo, I might have to go out searching this spring...

      Delete
  13. Drawn in though I didn't want to be. Very creepy!!!! So happy b-day to Poe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poe tends to creep up and get you...

      Delete
  14. I absolutely adore Edgar Allan Poe. His stuff is so full of dark pleasures. I like him because he keeps everything real. That and I like exploring the darker sides of people's minds once in a while. If I wasn't a poet I certainly would have been a psychologist. Your poem here is definitely reminiscent of that dark theme that Poe uses. I liked the emotional twists and turns you put into this Maggie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The man has a way to get into people's hearts... And sometimes, he comes out still holding the beats.

      Delete
  15. Ligeia is one of my favorite Poe stories! And I loved your poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine, too! I shall reread it on my way to the hospital today. Maybe read some quotes to my nurses when I get there... and grin.

      Delete
  16. What can I say? Soooooooo Poe-worthy!!! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the poem! Want the ring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspected you might!

      Delete
    2. ...maybe you can weave one. *wink, wink*

      Delete
  18. I needs me some more POE!!! Is there a complete collection book type thingy? This was totally delicious!! :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a blast writing this one, so I'm sure there will be more. ;-D

      Delete