Grab Pain Gently by the Horns, Write it, Paint it, Sculpt it, Craft…

Small victories are wondrous things to behold… They are made of the energy that keep us paddling forward, with our teeth bared in resolute grins and our fists ready for whatever might come next!

Those of you who know Oma Linda, headmistress and soul of Olde Baggs ‘n Stuft Shirts, know that she has been dealing with many health issues. During our last exchange, Oma wasn’t sure if 2015 would Celebrate Oz, a blog party she has hosted for four years. I was saddened by this (and a tad worried). Not because we wouldn’t be partying in Oz, but because the postponing of an event she loves so much might’ve meant that my Oma was too tired to bare her teeth at the charging beast.

Anyone who lives with a chronic condition understands that there are some things we must give up or modify, if we want to keep them in our lives: running might morph into elaborate stretching; writing 1,300 words of fiction a day might turn into penning a short poem and feeling beyond ecstatic if one’s tired brain delivers 500 useful words… Those kinds of changes are to be expected and never dwelled upon (much). Life happens and we must happen with it (and evolve).

However, when our maladies force us to give up the wonderful bits we do in order to make our hearts giggle and cackle in delight (i.e. Celebrate Oz for Oma Linda and Witches in Fiction for me), then the things that ail us have probably taken too much out of us… chunks big enough to truly worry those who love us.

Well, I don’t have to worry about my beloved Oma Linda having been engulfed too tightly by the bull of pain, for she has taken the bastard gently by the horns and is reshaping the energy it puts out into the glorious Shadow of Oz, something we can Celebrate with her.

A few days ago, my wicked Oma Linda said that her word for 2015 was “acceptance”. I told her “I chose an acceptance/patience hybrid” word to rule my year. Accepting what life throws our way doesn’t we aren’t fighting. On the contrary, it signifies we’ve grown enough to understand when we need to embrace the not so pleasant bits, and wait patiently until we can kick unpleasantness in the teeth (mayhap gently) and craft it into something we can love and our souls can feed on.

If you haven’t joined Oma Linda’s Celebrate Oz 2015 yet, fly over there and hold hands with many daring souls as we embrace the Shadow of Oz: “…go dark, go wild, go underground, go whichever way you choose. Tell us how the books or movies gave you a scare or a fright. Or maybe the shadow inspired you to tell of another part of Oz that the sun has not quite touched. Write, paint, draw, construct, design…” Do those artful things you like and love, which tell those who know you that your heart is alive and kicking.  

http://lindaomasoldebaggsnstuftshirts.blogspot.com/2015/01/were-you-thinking-of-celebrate-oz.html
artwork, by SunshineShelle

29 comments:

  1. Two things popped into my head almost immediately! Guess I will be participating this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray. I suspect it will be super-fun. How cool that you thought of two things, for I have two possibilities in mind, too. They both involve adding to existing storylines, so I suspect they will both make you happy. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Often, you take my breath away and bring me to tears. This is one of those times. Thanks for your generous posting of the "fun" to come. But more than that, thank you for your love. Smooches and Squoozes, Oma Linda
    I think this year will be the best yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She who gives love, much love shall receive... I'm very excited about Celebrate Oz, this year. I love the theme and I adore what it represents for you. ♥

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry that Oma Linda has been struggling with health issues. It's wonderful that she feels up to hosting Shadow of Oz and I hope all the shadowy Oz goodness aids her mind, body and spirit further. I'm feeling a tad ridiculous at the moment because in the last couple of days I've managed to take a tumble down the stairs and slam my thumb in a door... I'm aching from head to toe, but when I saw the theme of this year's Celebrate Oz, and Shelle's fabulous artwork, I broke out in a grin. Something fun to work towards! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope nothing too horrid happened as a result of your tumble! Falling is such a scary thing... And you need to have a talk with that door, how dare it slams your thumb? I hope the aches are going away. I'm sooo very happy for that grin. Can't wait to see what shadowy posts we all come up with. ;-D

      Delete
  4. I am heading there right this instant. I hope you are feeling better. Lots and lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling better! How cool is that? Today, I'll even exercise. *giggles*

      Delete
  5. Oh. That looks fun. I love the Oz books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice to see your touch in the party!

      Delete
  6. I'm always sad to hear of someone suffering with health issues.
    I hope all is well soon, for both Oma Linda and your lovely self.

    I love SunshineShelle's artwork, and Shadow of Oz sounds like the perfect gathering of cackling creativeness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll be better soon. If not we'll make the best of things. Don't feel bad.

      And I LOVE "cackling creativity"!

      Delete
  7. Great post I needed to read. I hope Oma Linda's year will be a good one filled with as many giggles and laughs possible. I'm in on Shadow of Oz! I've found that if I have something to look forward to and to do, helps the pain. I'm excited for April and I need to go grab that badge! Big hugs to you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see you Oz work. Motivation (with a clear deadline) is one of the reasons I join blog parties! And the fun, of course ;-)

      Delete
  8. I am in Magaly ;o) You and Oma Linda rock ;o) Great post girl ;o) Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Let the crows dance. ;-D

      Delete
  9. Oh by the way, there is a package on the way ;o) I forgot to put a card in, but you know who's it's from and you know I love you ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let the Magaly dance. *hehehe*

      Delete
    2. You are loved, too. Lots. ♥

      Delete
  10. To quote a magnificent sage(probably) "Never give in...never surrender..!" Craft the scumminess into oblivion! As you cn guess I am already signed up over at Oma's :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that Galaxy Quest! And I adore the idea of crafting the scumminess into oblivion. We shall dance with it, too. ;-D

      Delete
  11. I'm hoping to join in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be sooo good to see you there, Snowy! ♥

      Delete
  12. So glad the tradition lives on! The days are getting longer, Magaly, the light is coming back. Things are getting better, so shine on, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is coming back indeed. We shall soon be human again!

      Delete
  13. I am happy to hear that Oma Linda is able to celebrate Oz! I wish I were more creative in the written department. I will enjoy reading and seeing everyone else's submissions though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are super-creative. It doesn't have to be a story. I'm still in love with your Tiffany Aching guest post. And believe me, I'm not the only one. It's one of the posts that gets read the most. There are so many social issues going on in Oz (and not just the original, but think Wicked, too... and others). There is politics, discrimination, religious madness... all kinds of yumminess to discuss and debate. *wink, wink*

      Delete