Baring My Teeth while Growling Motivational Curses

Tomorrow, I start to exercise regularly… after the longest hiatus I’ve ever taken.

I know I will have to take it very, very, very slowly; my body won’t be forgiving if I don’t. I just hope my mind (and my ego) can remember that little detail when the Marine no-pain-no-gain attitude that lives in my flesh and bones insists on yelling, “One more, dammit! I know you have one more in you!! Don’t give the prick the satisfaction!!!”

“Don’t give the prick the satisfaction” was my favorite boosting mantra for a very long time. I needed those words back then *so thank you, Gunnery Sergeant Highway*. But no more; I’m old enough to know that I’m the only person I need to satisfy, and being a prick to my own delicious self sounds painful and uncomfortable.

I will start with modified versions of my Daily Thirteen. My physical therapists and I have been working on techniques to protect my shoulder, my hip, my lower back and the damaged nerve in my left flank, which has been driving me half-mad for almost two years. There has been a lot of trial and error: some of the modifications work wonderfully… others make me cry auntie in under less than 6 seconds. The latter are placed in the to-be forgotten (for now) box of exorcised exercise demons.  

In the past, when I took a mildly lengthy break, my body would regain its familiar shape and strength after 13 or so weeks of regular exercise—muscle memory and all. After almost 24 months, I’m sure my muscles can barely remember why we used to growl and scream motivational curses while doing flutter kicks and monkey f*ckers.

My legs are soft. My core needs a map to find strong, defined muscles. I haven’t seen my endurance in ages. But that’s okay; I have the same will and a wiser soul. The three of us can do this. Because we have to: I need my tummy and upper back strong again, so that they can help support my lower back and shoulder. And because we want to: I enjoy the feeling of shapely legs supporting my ginormous head, almost as much as I delight in a challenge that makes me bare my teeth while growling self-encouraging curses.

So… my Wicked Luvs, what have you and your sexy-self been up to? 

41 comments:

  1. Cheering for you, as always - but no motivational sayings from me! Just maybe a "move your ass, but in a gentle, loving way," and "I'll be here at the finish line with a daiquiri for you!"

    As for me, the last year has not been kind to my body. So this year, I'm being extra kind (and kicking my own ass in the process). Yoga to start, then back to the gym in February. Everything is sore already. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I'm doing feels a lot like yoga. I'm using a scarf for stability. We shall reach that finish line together!

      Delete
  2. Love your picture! Be kind to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too will be heading back to the gym on Monday, I'm sure there will be some moaning, groaning, and bearing of teeth, but we must fight through and show our bodies who's the boss!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll be a groaning chorus. ;-D

      Delete
  4. I shall be kicking your butt and then handing you a comfy cushion to rest on if you over do things :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't expect any less from you, m'love. We both know I can be quite ridiculous when it comes to exercising. *sigh* ♥♥♥

      Delete
  5. I shall be kicking your butt and then handing you a comfy cushion to rest on if you over do things :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am on the exact same boat as you! Hey roomy! I have always failed in taking it slow. But now the pain is too much to deal so i have to learn how to do that. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while to learn, and it still pisses me off. Our bodies just remember better days... We need to remind them that if we are to have any future days at all, we better take care of ourselves! Good luck to you, too!

      Delete
  7. It takes time, but you'll be back to a level of fitness that makes you feel strong and proud soon. I'll make a deal with you - I'll push to get stronger but not use pain as proof of some sort of superwoman status if you promise to do the same. Deal?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are such an inspiration! You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the manifestation of the energy I get from awesome people!

      Delete
  9. I know how much this means to you. What is means to your friends is that our Magaly is coming back. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I'm low-crawling back, but it isn't about speed. ;-D

      Delete
  10. If you wish to be as old and wise ( giggle!) as ME! slow and steady , keep the course! xoDebi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...slow and steady is going to be exercising with me. Promise. ;-D

      Delete
  11. "Motivational cursing" -- oh, I like that concept!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I confess that I stole the phrase from one of my characters? I know; I'm terrible, stealing from characters who haven't been even shared. *hehehe*

      Delete
  12. darling girl. I should like to remind you that I love turtles so very much, so if I were to give you any words of wisdom they would be, slow and steady wins the race. Turtle it my dear. Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be turtles all the way, my beloved Oma! Promise. ♥

      Delete
  13. Such an (uncannily) timely post and message for me. I attempted some exercise last week, and only succeeded in aggravating my stomach issues and making myself sick. After a little disappointment and self-pity, I will try again this week, only, as you say, "very, very, very slowly". Best wishes for your teeth baring and growling, lovely! ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My tummy is what makes me take it very, very, very slow... The muscular aches I can deal with--I know it's just my body telling me that those bits haven't been used in a while. But the first time, my stomach hurt so much that (get ready for TMI) I thought I had to go to the bathroom. Anyway, I'm noticed that if I do certain exercises while lying on my back, my tummy doesn't bother me. So yep, lots of modifications... and growling. ;-D

      Delete
  14. Good luck! The longer it takes, the more satisfying the results 😉

    ReplyDelete
  15. Best of luck to you, my friend.

    After a few months of hibernation, myself, I am slowly starting to get the motivation back to pay attention to fitness. I'm accepting that I have enough Bear Medicine in me that mid-November to mid-January are the "nope, not doing it" months.

    Here's to kicking butt and looking fighting fit (for both of us) this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You can do it! (Gently and patiently with yourself.) I shall use you as my motivational example as I must begin the climb back to fitness as well. You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall motivate each other. Deal? (I stole the last question from Rommy) *cough*.

      Delete
  17. My trip to the PT for my shoulder exercises has been delayed due to bronchitis. Came on so suddenly I had no chance to get my defenses up. So here I am at 2:20 in the am catching up on my blogging. Beats listening to myself try to sleep in between horrendous coughing spasms and wheezing breathing. Definitely calling doctor again in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if every blogger does this... The good and old just catching up with blogging when everything else hurts or feels torturous. It's almost therapeutic, isn't it? Hope your lungs feel better soon, dear Gail! ♥

      Delete
  18. Stronger, fitter every day, bit by bit, BTW you look determined Ms Wicked, I wouldn't want to be the excercise ball that stands in the way of you and your bench presses ;) 'you can do it, I believe in you' xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bench presses just rolled their eyes. LOL!

      Delete
  19. You are so cute! I love you! Please, don't over do it! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall not overdo it. Promise. ♥

      Delete