Small Big Steps towards Focused Healing of Flesh, Bone and Spirit

2014 has been an eventful year. My Piano Man and I tied the knot and did the deed, I published Blooming Howls… and during the last five months, I’ve spent more time in hospitals and around physicians than I’ve done so in the last ten years of my life.

The last item on the list is undeniably crappy, but some of the side effects of dealing with an illness (or three) can be blessings under the garb of jaw-clenching pain. Being acutely sick has revealed friendships and strengths I didn’t know were mine to claim; it has mellowed my wild inner-fires, turned them into balanced flames that keep my soul fueled and paddling forward, as I bare my teeth in an I-can-and-will-do-this grin.

I won’t even list the number of projects I’ve had to reschedule or postpone indefinitely due to my health. But I will say that what happened is not such a bad thing. I am still alive, the projects in question—or a modification of them—will be achieved eventually. Life happens when it does. We can dwell on the things we couldn’t do exactly as we planned them until our hearts shrivel… or we can look at what we have in hand, and embrace nature while we live the life available to us.

I’m a witchy woman. I choose to bloom, to flourish, to blossom, to rekindle… and all those other lively verbs that remind my flesh and soul that I’m one with fire, earth, water and air.

I suspect next year will lean towards tough. But I’m a Marine, aren’t I? My kind battles tough at dawn and has it eating out of its hand by dusk. And, yes, our modesty is legendary *cough, cough, cough*. Someone intelligent and extremely attractive once looked into the mirror, and said to me, “All great realities begin as a dream. Dream true, witchy woman, for your reality depends on the power and focus you feed into your dreams.”

She has never failed me on purpose, so I believe her and always will. In 2015 I will continue to dream true and craft my own realities. I know I can no longer approach life and living in the same way I did when my muscles and bones were nimble, daring and strong. But at 37-years-old, my brain has accrued many tools that will get me to where I need and want to go, if I walk my path taking focused small big steps.

I hope you continue to walk with me, my Wicked Luvs. Our journey might be slightly slow, bumpy and unpredictable, at times, but I promise you that it will never be dull.


Health, Happiness and Blessings, my Luvs…
and 
great socks; everyone deserves amazing socks.

38 comments:

  1. You are a beautiful soul. Have a great night, and may you thrive in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm definitely slow, VERY bumpy and extremely unpredictable...so I'll be right there with you ...you can even borrow my stick :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall walk hand-in-hand... and sometimes fly together, too!

      Delete
  3. New Year's blessings to you, Magaly and wishes for your good health inn 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Francie. I wish you the same plus a bit more. ;-)

      Delete
  4. You will rise above it all, a Phoenix flaming the charts piled high upon medical floors, soaring in ways that were unimagined before the roadblock challenges became known. This, I hold to be true for I have seen your heart and the courage and invention that lives there! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year.

    I have much confidence in your ability to overcome and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *does a little dance*

      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  6. Nothing can stand in your way and live.

    By the way, this morning I realized I cannot imagine you taking orders. Just saying. That must have been an interesting experience (for the Marines).

    And have you ever met Mariam Kobras (via FB, for example)? I met her om Twitter when she had just started writing her first novel, out of the blue - stories about love and music and big life experiences, hardly my piece of cake, but beautifully written - and through chemotherapy, steroids, pain and trouble she has published several books and won a handful of awards. All just because she thought she would enjoy doing so. Her, and you, are among my secret superhero inspirations.

    (Do I see your head swelling or is that just a superwide grin?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to get a neck-brace, or a body-brace... the rest of me might not be able to support the weight of my heat. ;-D

      Delete
  7. Wishing you, the Piano Man, and the Princess a very happy and healthy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Ellie. The same to you and yours.

      Delete
  8. Wishing you a year full of giggles & grins :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We LOVE giggles around these parts. And we fee on grins. ;-)

      Delete
  9. Wishing you and yours a wonderful New Year! May next year be better for all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sending you the same with a few extra hugs!

      Delete
  10. Dream true.....I like the sound of that. It resonates someplace deep in me too. xoxo to you and those you love in the coming New Year. xoxo Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall make a lot of things true together, my Oma Linda. Especially our health. We need to work on that, or kick it a bit! ♥

      Delete
  11. 2014 has been such a roller coaster ride of incredible highs and lows for you! I really admire the grace, strength and optimism you've shown under such pressure. You're wonderful, Magaly, and I hope 2015 brings all the joy you so richly deserve! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Emma. I hope the same changes for you. May our tummy find their way towards normalcy! ♥

      Delete
  12. I agree, everyone deserves amazing socks!

    Happy New Year to yourself and your family. I hope 2015 brings you health and happiness. <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. All the very best to you in 2015, Magaly. You will be in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year to you, the Piano Man and the Little Princess. I hope that 2015 brings nothing but good health and good things your way -- be it so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May all your hopes come true!

      Delete
  15. I hope 2015 brings you a boatload of healing and happiness, Magaly. The tough times come and sometimes they stay awhile, but once you get through them you know you have done something worth doing--preaching to the choir, I know as this is kind of what you just said. ;_) Regardless, thank you for the brightness you bring with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good things should be repeated until they are strong enough to happen again and again! I hope 2015 gives you everything you need and a few extras you didn't know you wanted. ;-D

      Delete
  16. I want those socks ;o)
    Great post Magaly ;o)
    You inspire me! I will always continue to walk with you ;o)
    Happy New Year ;o) Good health, happiness, abundance, and lots of love ;o) xoxox
    (Come by my blog when you can!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you, my beloved Stacy, always fill my life with great dreams. *wink, wink*

      Delete
  17. Sometime the hardest journeys make the best stories. Here's hoping for interesting, but survivable times with great stories to tell at the end, while wearing the biggest grin you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This reminds me of something B.R. Marsten (The Narrator) said. He reminded me that having so much going on--the good and bad--made me the protagonist of my own story. Let's imagine that in the end, we'll ride into the sunset... in our case, walk happily into a Japanese market that serves the best tea and freshest fruits. ;-D

      Delete
  18. You are such a beautiful strong soul! One thing 2014 did was finding YOU through Stacy! I had no idea we were on such a similar path with health and pain. Too bad we don't live closer, we could carpool to appointments!

    I love what you were told in the mirror. That is one I need to remember. I was so close to giving up on everything in December, feeling like I had some curse on me. Taking a longer look, I realized I had cursed myself and was living a life of all the labels I was accruing or others were putting on me. Not any more!

    I will be thinking good thoughts and healing for you my friend. You have been a blessing in my life Magaly. I am finding the inner me that I had buried so deeply when I was a child.

    I hope to return the blessings that you have brought to me. You are such an awesome woman...oh and I want those socks too! Big SOFT loving hugs to you! Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just discussing pain and giving up with a friend--we met at the neurologist waiting room, lol! She was feeling extra low, today, after having made plans to go out with family but not being able to it. Her family was kind and brought the party to her. She told me she felt guilty, I told her to stop and be grateful for what she can do. It is easy to find ourselves cursing everything--especially on bad days--but if we wait, we can usually see a bit of light in all the darkness... or better yet, remember that the darkness if full of healing energy.

      We shall do this thing together, Robin. And we shall thrive! ♥

      Delete
  19. You are amazing! So inspiring to me!

    ReplyDelete