They Might Think You’re Mad if You Don’t Explain…

…and when you do clarify things, they’ll conclude that at least you aren’t alone in lunacy island; for some of your friends are as mad as you are… and perhaps just as dangerous.

Many of you have messaged me asking for a health update, so I figured a post was in order. The latest tests ruled out Crohn’s Disease and maybe even ulcerative colitis. The new prognosis is a stomach ulcer; or something a bit more serious. I don’t even want to write about it, until my doctors find concrete proof… for ‘tis a tad scary.

On the neuropathic pain front, the doctors want to try a new medicine. I’m always a bit resistant when it comes to medications (okay, a lot resistant), but only until I understand how they will affect me and if there aren’t more holistic alternatives. The other day, the neurologist and I had a long conversation. He is worried about the positioning of my spine and what it’s doing to one or two of my highest discs.

The good thing about the (possible) new spine findings is that it might be what causes me pain when I attempt to sit. So if the beast can be named, we might find a way to subdue it. And I might be able to reclaim the glory of sitting on a couch, at the table, and driving my car!

Of course, the process of finding out requires a lot of tests… and a lot of time at the hospital… and more medication. In the next few weeks, I’m scheduled for more MRIs, other stomach studies, additional ultrasounds, and visits with the orthopedic surgeon, podiatrist, ophthalmologist (long term treatment of the eye ulcer), chronic pain therapist, rehabilitation physical therapist…   

One of my doctors wanted to know how I’m handling “all of this issues going on at the same time.” He was concerned about the amount of emotional stress this kind of situation can cause in the life of someone so young. You see, my Wicked Luvs, most of my ailments seem to be common on individuals over sixty. He wanted to know if I was afraid of the possibility of hospitalization.

Anyway, I told him that I really wasn’t. That I would do what I must; and that I have a lot of support from family and friends. Then I started grinning… The grin might’ve brought up a tad of muffled laughter. The doctor wanted to know what was so funny. I told him that he probably wouldn’t understand. He insisted that he might.

“Try me,” he said.

So I told him. “A few days ago, during a rather uncomfortable (and ridiculously long) tummy study, a friend of mind said that if the doctors decided to keep me for an extended period of time, I should have my husband ‘bring in some of [my stepdaughter’s] action figures. Then put on a play, just eerie enough that [my doctors] will feel safer with [me] at home.’ And ever since, I can’t stop thinking about Igor Barbie,” I said.

The look on his face made me burst into hysterical laughter. I just couldn’t stop. I’m pretty sure that for at least the tiniest of moments, my doctor doubted my sanity. And that’s okay, my Wicked Luvs, because the only way to deal with all this nonsense is by grabbing the delicious madness within and laughing at it… until the baddies feel less scary.

And there you have part of the reasons behind the delay of Blooming Howls. I will tell you the other reasons soon… I’m glad to say that the latter are actually positive.

Read you soon, my Wicked Luvs. When this post goes live, I will be at another appointment.

everything is possible
“When Women Laugh”

32 comments:

  1. Let's all giggle hysterically !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second your wonderful motion! ♥

      Delete
  2. "They who hear not the music, think the dancers mad." Dance on, Magaly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't help this kind of deaf! ♥

      Delete
  3. Thank the Goddess for like minded friends! Have you ever tried an inversion table? You know, where you hang upside down. It has kept me from back surgery for a few years now. Worth the investment if it will work for you. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Without a little loving mad, we'd all be insanely sad and lonely, methinks.

      The Rehabilitation Therapy is full of choices (from inversion table to acupuncture), so well shall see how it works for my sexy bones! And one good thing to say about the VA is that if it works for what ails me, they will most likely buy it for me.

      Delete
  4. Maniacal laughter works in every situation, and Igor Barbie sounds like she's pretty bad ass. And I second the suggestion of inversion therapy (if it would work for you) for back problems ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She would have all kinds of wonderful stitching, wouldn't she? Yay! It seems the inversion therapy is very in. I hope it works for me. *fingers crossed*

      Delete
  5. In all that list of different doctors, no chiropractor. Have you ever considered chiropractic therapy especially for your spine? not just a bone cracker but someone versed in accupressure and kinesiology. A chiropractor of this kind was my main health care provider for many many years, still my first choice, and good chiropractic therapy can help all kinds of ailments. when the body is adjusted properly then the electrical system and adrenal system work at peak function.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried the chiropractor in the past, and the treatment offers some temporary relief. I've never tried "accupressure" or "knesiology." I will bring it up. By now, my doctors are pretty receptive to trying whatever works.

      Delete
    2. Kinesiology is a system of finding the 'kinks' in the system so that the adjustments are appropriate and the acupressure is finding the spots where the energies get stuck and applying pressure on them. And bodies have habits too. They get used to being stuck the longer they are stuck so part of it is learning how to break the bad habit and replace it with a new habit. Sometimes it's two steps forward and one step back but you have still gone forward. For instance, I grew up watching my father walk but he had polio as a child and so his gait was uneven because one leg was a little smaller than the other one. So I walk with a longer stride on one leg than the other which throws off the balance of my body which leads to...it's a cumulative system. Anyway, I have to remember to walk consciously now and then lengthening my stride with the other leg. I can always feel the stretch when I first so it. I'm not saying that I think I know more than you or your doctor about what you are going through and in fact I know very little about it so I hope you won't think me presumptuous. just didn't know if you had considered it.

      Delete
    3. I share this kind of post because I believe that if two heads think better than one, then a bunch of heads must eventually find a solution. I love informed guidance. I have never researched Kinesiology or acupressure before. But know I will read on both, so that I can communicate what I mean to my doctors--you know how that works.

      I see the physical therapist (who is quite holistic minded) in a couple of weeks. I will definitely bring it up.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Oh my!!!!!! I would love to have seen the doctor's face. It's odd how "regular" folks have difficulty dealing with whimsy and wit in it's refined and perfected forms. I always love it when shocking behavior is someone's norm or at least their line of defense. Great job Ms. M. (laughing as I type).
    Glad you gave us some info on your conditions.......what's that song, I love the condition your condition is in. xoxo Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oma Linda, I think you and I (and a few people around here *cough*) are stuck in a permanent teenager state of humor. It's the reason why we get along so well with the youngsters: we know how to make ourselves laugh, even when others don't get it! ♥

      Delete
  7. Bwahahaha.......can't wait to read "Igor Barbie and the Mad Professor" :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's going to make you roar.

      Delete
  8. I hope diagnosis comes soon and with an an solution too! Lots and lots of love!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! This is getting old. ♥

      Delete
  9. My very most favorite quote from the great Robin Williams..."You are only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it."

    Thanks for the update, I was wondering. I really hope something holistic(ish) works, that would be awesome!

    You mentioned up there in comment about teenaged sense of humor...I tell people all the time that my inner child is a 15 year old boy. Some people look at me funny, but a wonderful few get it.

    Keep rockin the mad giggles, pretty lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giggling like a 15-year-old boy mad with delight. ;-D

      Delete
  10. I love your sense of humour, it definitely helps make things better to look on the lighter side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When things look grim, a bit of humor will certainly make the soul grin. ♥

      Delete
  11. You have such an amazing attitude! I never get an ounce of dread or self-pity from these posts. You just swallow, say what's next, and put your metaphorical boxing gloves on. I applaud you and can only hope to learn from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Self-pity never helped anyone to do anything productive; kick her in the chin and move on, that's what I say.

      In all seriousness, though, I think we can't survive if we spend too much time wallowing in the bad things--the sadness will eat us alive. Paddle forward and hope for better things. I've always noticed that most things, better things are just a few dance steps ahead. ;-)

      Delete
  12. Magaly, I am sending you strength. You've already got so much, but one can never have too much in reserve. You will get through this, and you will perhaps shake the "normals" up a bit and broaden their horizons. I feel sorry for people who don't daydream on a regular basis. They are limiting their own world by not pulling the madness that lives within all human animals up and doing the watoosie with it. While they poke and prod and treat you, you're the one possibly curing them...of being boring, unimaginative, and too sane. Keep grinning At the insanity and dancing with the pain, dear Witch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I can't stop thinking about doing the watoosie while wearing a black pointy hat, lol!

      Thank you so much for the strength, my beloved Sarah. I think I can do all this--laugh when things are hard, dream when things are worse--because of the energy I get from hearts like yours! ♥

      Delete
  13. "…and when you do clarify things, they’ll conclude that at least you aren’t alone in lunacy island; for some of your friends are as mad as you are… and perhaps just as dangerous." Oh I LOVE this!

    Now to the rest. Sometimes the naming of what is wrong is a good thing. You can look it up, dissect it and learn how to handle it. I loved how the doctor said that most of your ailments were common in individuals over the age of 60. He's right. I have many of the same ailments you do and I'm over sixty. I find it amazing that someone as young and vibrant like you handle this with such grace, wit and power. I could not have done it at your age.

    My thoughts are with you- gail x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone who knew me since I was born used to say that I was born 40-years-old. She was very wise, so I guess now my soul is 77. It seems the universe was preparing me for what it knew would come. Some days are more difficult than others, but all days are full of friends and love and things that make life a good thing even if something is pinching the tummy.

      Thanks so much for keeping me in your thoughts.It means the world to me! ♥

      Delete
  14. Thank you so much for the update, dear soul. It can't be easy, handing this stuff out, over and over, especially as you crave answers as much as we do, and with greater urgency. I hope you get some kind of diagnosis, soon. Just knowing the enemy can make it easier to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are here with you Magaly! You will conquer this! When I read about them saying, that these issues you have, should be in someone in their 60's, it made me think of when I was sick! They said what happened to me, should be in someone, that was in their 70's! Keep kicking ass girl! And, I don't blame you asking about the medications! I still have my prescription written down, just incase my pain ever came back. Do you want to know what they gave me?? xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time things get too tough, I think about the crow on your window while you were sick. I can do this!

      I will certainly be interested in knowing. Email me when you get a chance. I know you've been extra busy.

      Delete