There Are Certain Little Things a Doctor Should Never Say to a Patient

First, I should probably comment on my cyber-home’s new look. I needed to keep my brain busy for a bit, in order to avoid doing something I would most likely regret later.

I tried rereading my favorite quotes from Gabriel García Márquez’s Collected Stories, while listening to The Witch with No Name, by Kim Harrison. It wasn’t enough; my brain needed more busy, if I was to stay away from breaking my word. So I added playing with my blog’s layout to the preceding list, and that seemed to do the trick. I hope all this brightness doesn’t make your eyes go into shock. If it does, let me know. Seriously. My Piano Man was speaking of seizures. (Next morning edit: I changed the colors of the blog back. My eyes kept on trying to flee their sockets every time I looked at the terribly bright, um… brightness).

Anyway, my hospital visit went well. One of the appointments stretched a tad longer than usual, so I had to reschedule with my chronic pain management therapist; which was okay, since my pain has been behaving these last few days. After I got home, I received a call from one of the doctors I didn’t see today. I felt a little anxious. It’s hard to keep your nerves of steel, when a physician calls you after hours… especially, if said physician recently ordered tons of lab work on you.

“Hi, ma’am,” I said, sounding way chirpier than I felt. “What’s going on?”

She explained that the pathologist sent her results for a culture that had been incubating for about six weeks. “It’s nothing we can’t work with,” she said, telling me what they found [I will share the specifics with you after all the doctors are sure, my Wicked Luvs; promise]. “It’s an uncommon thing to find in someone as healthy as you, but not impossible.”

“All right,” I said. “I guess I’ll hold back on ordering that exquisite crimson urn I saw on Flash Your Ash Dot Com.”

We both laughed; and my heart was light and genuinely chirpy… Then the doctor added, “Don’t go googling X until we know more about your specific case. X is not pretty. I would hate for you to scare yourself for no good reason.”

My bright chirp went poof.

I haven’t researched X on Google or elsewhere. And I won’t do it until after I meet with my doctor tomorrow. I promised and my word means the world to me. But I’m as uneasy as an ant that has been looking, back and forth, between the hot sun and a boy with a magnifying glass… and this ant knows what that terrible boy has done to dozens of its friends.

There are certain little things a doctor should never say to a patient. Or at least, the physician should be very careful with his or her phraseology. 


Update (Nov 26th, at 8:28pm): earlier today, I was tested for the condition the doctors and I had feared the most. The results came back negative. One more round of tests has been ordered, and although I still don’t have a clear diagnosis, at least I know of one more thing my body is not afflicted by. One small miracle at a time, right?

This was on a table, in my podiatrist’s waiting room. I guess everyone is relating information in questionable ways. I feel your pain, J’adore Dior. I sure hope you have some bandaids… and good healthcare … a hefty cash contribution to The Church couldn’t hurt *giggles*.

28 comments:

  1. Hope everything turns out right! Don't let the physicians worry you out of your mind. And yes, the brightness is extremely... bright. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Double agreement. I had to change the colors back. I thought my eyes would self-defenestrate out of my head.

      Delete
  2. Hoping all turns out well. I know how anxious it can be when awaiting news. Sending hugs and prayers.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waiting is the hardest part. I hope all goes well today, my girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sucketh very mucho. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

      Delete
  4. Hoping everything gets cleared up soon. I don't know how you are being so disciplined. They would have had to shut off my internet access and taken my phone. Not long ago I saw the ending of one of the Indian Jones movies where the bad girl Nazi kept saying she wanted to know as her body disintegrated. I took it for a lesson very pointedly aimed at me. LOL And, remember just because a person is a doctor it doesn't mean that can't be a dork. I know, my brother in law is a surgeon.Sending you love and hugs and good mojo energy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I want to write about melting spies!

      You are right; sometimes it's so easy to forget that they, too, are human.

      I will keep that in mind... then I'll write about melting people. ;-)

      Delete
  5. since she doesn't want you to scare yourself needlessly, I think you should assume it's not as bad as the internet will tell you it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. I think I'm just so frustrated about all these things that every now and then rationality takes a back seat. I just had a bunch of tests. Waiting to have more... Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  6. Focus on the "person as healthy as you" and "uncommon" parts.
    You are truly one of a kind and if there is something to be beat down, or sent packing,
    you are the person to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those words. I NEEDED them!

      Delete
  7. I hate when doctors call especially after hours. My stomach always does the sudden drop routine and the sour bile automatically appears in my mouth. But do concentrate on the positive and stay away from internet diagnosis. I made the mistake of watching a video on knee replacement surgery before I had mine done. Can we say too much information? And gruesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be quite unnerving; not knowing is just as anxiety producing. I guess the whole thing is just difficult to deal with.

      Delete
  8. Sending positive energy your way .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Receiving and sending you hugs. ♥

      Delete
  9. Sending healing thought, prayers and many many hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pending is the worst of all possible places to be. All my prayers are with you that the answers will not be worrisome when they come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I can't believe I still have hair on my head.

      Delete
  11. Whatever that possible affliction was, I am so happy it's negative. And when it does get solved eventually, I pray it will be something that doesn't induce dread so much upon googling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I just realized that I didn't share what the thing was. Guess I should that, huh? LOL!

      And yes, I join my wishes to yours.

      Delete
  12. Good luck with the diagnostic process, it's truly the first step to healing. Sounds like they're taking you seriously, which is important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My doctors are great; truly great. They have been working so hard on this. That, and all the emotional support I get, is one of the that keeps me paddling forward.

      Delete
  13. Well my money was on Leprosy....doesn't seem to get any press lately...was I even close? *if you ain't telling we has to guess* :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew if someone would figured out what was wrong, it would be you. It was quite a shock to realized it was not leprosy. I mean, I had already contacted the Lazarine Society for the Undead and Other Things that Go Rotting in the Dark. I was excited about meeting Igorina. But nope, no leprosy or miraculous raising from the dead. Life (and death *cough*) is sooo unfair. ;-D

      Delete