What Blooms and Howls in My Word Garden and the Strokes of SunshineShelle

“That corpse you planted last year in your garden,
Has it begun to sprout? Will it bloom this year?”
~ Unreal City, in The Waste Land, by T.S. Eliot

In “To Know Them All the Way to the Bone,” I told you about the process behind the creation of the Blooming Howls inspired blade. Now I want to share a bit about the cover art, brought to life by Michelle Kennedy (AKA SunshineShelle artiste extraordinaire).

Shelle and I work well together. Okay, “well” might not be quite enough to describe the way our Muses communicate. This is how it goes: I send Shelle—who, by the way, lives thousands of miles from moi—a scene from the story I want on the cover; I include the full story (or most of it) for her to read; I describe poses, general shapes, moods… and then ask Shelle to use her skill-full magic with colors, contrast and everything else I have no clue about when it comes to painting.

I remember telling Shelle that the “girls are terrified, but they still find comfort in each other;” that the mood was to “be bleak, but promising;” that the consequences of the girls’ behavior have left them howling and buried, but there is hope for blooming.

The first sketch Shelle sent me contained all those feelings. I never told her what colors to use—I’m not a painter. But the moment I saw the contrast between sky and soil, between gray skin and bright blooms… I smiled like a glee-full lunatic, showed the art to my Piano Man, and emailed Shelle to tell her that she was painting goddess of them all.   

I’m sure that not every single person will see every single detail I wanted portrayed on the cover. But I’m certain that everyone who sees it will feel a lot of what Shelle and I wanted to share. And that is what matters; for art—words or paint—is all about emotions, isn’t it?

Blooming Howls is a collection of “word-seeds: characters, conflicts and plots sowing inside my Muse, blooming on my tongue, waiting to be howled through my fingertips and birthed into complete stories.”

When you read the table of contents, I’m sure you’ll notice a title or three, which you’ve seen before. This means that I’ve extended, added to, or concluded the telling of that particular adventure. If you’ve read any of the tales before, read it again; for there will be beginnings, tones, points of view, structures, endings and even new characters surprises.

Those of you who have emailing me with loving messages and give us our Lum death threats might be happy to know that “The Worst Faery in New York” is in this collection. Same goes for Regina, dearest Darlene, some new characters you’ll probably love and at least one youll certainly despise. 

Which of my characters are you most curious to know more about, my Luvs? Why…

Blooming Howls, by Magaly Guerrero
to be released on October 31st
unless the writer is eaten by something hungry and with great taste
or can’t get up after today’s medical visit…
which wouldn’t taste great at all

29 comments:

  1. Kassia, because she inspires.
    AlmaMia, because she delights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AlmaMia is a bit upset with me right now... I shall have to spoil her for a while... until she stops pouting.

      Delete
  2. Writer & Cover('s) Artist are in perfect cynic ! I know this may come as a shock, but I have been know to judge a "book"? by its coverings! You and Your extremely talented Artist lure me everytime and have not fooled me.
    Looking forward to your next literary lesson ( dictionary in hand) ! Bee Safe wicked love!
    xoDebi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both. I'm sure I've missed more than a great story, just because the cover deters me. And the same goes about picking up a story with a stunning cover, just to be annoyed by it. But when the cover/tale balance is reached... I'm in heaven!

      Delete
    2. Ding! Ding! You win! xo

      Delete
  3. I would love to read a "when she was young" story of Mamabuela, I'm sure she changed the world with one deed.
    I love your collaborations with Shelle, they never fail to ignite beauty in word and art xoxo Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you been talking to AlmaMia lately? Maybe that's what has her pouting--she, too, wants a Mamabuela tale. ;-)

      I'm also quite enchanted by what Shelle and I can do together. In my happiest dreams, Shelle and I publish a graphic novel together. One day...

      Delete
  4. I agree with Linda on a prequel with Mamabuela the main attraction. You and Shelle have found the Muse in one another! Such a great collaboration, and one I hope continues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Yes. And yes! (unless she escapes my ropes).

      Delete
  5. All the best for your book launch, Magaly. I can't think of a better date of publication.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all your characters so I can't pick just one that I want to know more about but I do know one thing for the past few minutes I have been singing "Lum, Lum, Lum, Lum" over and over LOL so maybe Lum wants me to know more about him :-)

    I'll be super Happy when Friday get here, I' looking forward to reading this collection!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall go to my medical appointment singing, "Lum, Lum, Lum, Lum," lol!

      Delete
  7. Absolutely adore Shelle's work too. She has the most uniquely ethereal style (and likes to get drunk and party too)
    Have been wondering what is happening to Luna in the Pre Chaos stories?*hopes I remembered her name right..it's been a while* :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not saying anything. Nothing at all. I can keep a secret. Of course I can. *eyes nearly popping out of her face* Oh my gods, yes, Luna and Leo's tale will be in this collection in the shape of a novella. Thank goodness you forced me to tell you. I hate keeping this kind of juice secret. ;-D

      Delete
  8. WTF! Anger ball pit girl is roaring - did someone send you death threats?! I cannot stand a fellow woman receiving threats on-line (or IRL, obviously). I stand with you, always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Anger ball pit girl is roaring." I must say that in context one day... while shaking my fist at the sky.

      Delete
  9. SunshineShelle is indeed gifted as it is so hard to envision what an author has in mind! She did a wonderful job with the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a seriously cool cover!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This artwork is spellbinding. You and Shelle work beyond well together. I adore Almamia because I hope my younglings grow up with half her gumption. I agree with Oma Linda, though. We need a glimpse into Mamabuelas history. Your rabid fans await...:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness I just made the mistake of reading this comment aloud! Now AlmaMia won't shut up. I mean, someone needs to teach this girl something about humility. Not me though, I'm quite terrible at it, too. ;-D

      I suspect Mamabuela will get her time pretty soon... ♥

      Delete
  12. So exciting, I am just adoring the cover! And the concept of word-seeds, amazing thought!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! What a powerful cover. Your friend Shelle is totally gifted. It may or may not suit your story - I'll take your word that it does, but it really stands alone as a fabulous painting! Congrats, Magaly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, once the stories are you, maybe you can gather your own evidence. ;-D

      Delete
  14. I am flattered (to infinity and beyond) by your post, thank you Ms Wicked, mind melding with you has released (or at least done deep tissue massage) and bought my muse back for some dark Inspired play... I actually think it is creative writers who paint the best pictures, characters, situations, fluid images, like seeds in fertile minds, these images writers create, character with the ability to anchor in another's mind, find their way back, nurtured and 're' birthed, in another dimension, that fluid fleeting visual dream created by the writer stamps it's energy print in the minds of others... Thank you for the opportunity to visualise Ms Wicked and produce an interpretation for you cover, and big thanks for all of the lovely comments by your followers (totally blushing) xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right back at you. Really. Just inverse the Magaly-Shelle pronouns and it will be exactly how I feel. *giggles*

      Delete