To Know Them All the Way to the Bone

I always write characters I enjoy reading. Some fill me with unease (Soledad Cienfuegos, in AlmaMia Cienfuegos and Other Stories); others bring disturbingly wild grins to my face (Kassia Van Dyke, in Thorn in Red); and every now and again, characters like the twins and the witch who inspired the title of the upcoming Blooming Howls short story collection make me want to write and talk about them until I get to know their wants all the way to the bone.

My loving and incredibly patient Piano Man, my closest friends and probably everyone who reads this blog often enough, already know that my characters are my children. I take time to learn what they need, love, like, hate… And deep inside me, in the place where I carry my tales to term, I keep a thought-formed treasure chest full of symbolic bits that speak of my characters personalities, motivations, fears, desires… and of the relationship between them and my storytelling of their lives.

The Blooming Howls Inspired Blade is a tangible representation of all the above.
Eliora and I spent considerable amounts of time selecting the specific components of this blade. I had planned to tell what item represented what story in the collection, but I think that would steal something from your reading experience. Instead, I will share some of the general correspondence/meaning behind each element. After October 31st, you can read the short collection and make your own connections.  

Amber - Deep witchery skills

Purple - Power, Intuition, Ambition, Healing, Protection, Occult Wisdom

Black - Ward negativity, The Universe, Night, Truth, Remove discord

Silver - Lunar Magic, Meditation, Psychic development, Success, Balance

Amethyst – Calming, Cognitive perception, Creativity, Dream, Temperance

Citrine – Banish nightmares, Clarity, Courage, May exacerbate aggressiveness

Moonstone – Lunar female energy, Deflects negativity, Diffuses aural energy

Charms, Etc.: Tree of Life, Skull, Book, Bone, Cat, Daisy, Hammer, Dagger, Frog, Pewter placard stamped “WITCH”… 

Metal parts and jewelry findings are silvertone or Tibetan Silver

Eight-inch double-bevel-edged, stainless steel blade; the hilt is spiral-wrapped in black suede and silvery chain, ending in a ring that holds a trio of chain charm cascades.

Follow this link to enter The Blooming Howls Inspired Blade Giveaway, and this other link for an additionally fun entry.

Question for you, my Luvs: do you enjoy seeing this part of the writing process? If the answer is yes, would you care to tell me why? If it’s no, what’s wrong with you! I mean *cough, cough, cough*, do tell me why not. While you think and tell me all about it, I shall be spending an hour or three with the youngest member of “The Eyed Guild.” She’s quite special. Then again, every parent says that about her children… ;-) 

21 comments:

  1. Yes I very much love this part of your process and the reason why is because it's fun to look inside your mind and see where a story comes from and how it made the the twist and turns it did to become the yumminess you make it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall add Maker of Yumminess to my resume. ;-D

      Delete
  2. I love getting a glimpse behind the curtain. ^_^
    These little glimpses seem to add another layer to the story that's being told, without actually changing the story itself. I also feel like getting to see bits and pieces of a writer's process allow the reader to get to know the authors they love & adore. ^__~

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *does a little wild dance of agreement* I feel the same way. The more I write about my characters' outside the stories, the closer I get to know them. Also, the things you guys say about them show me parts of their personalities that I sometimes have overlooked. It's like seeing your children play baseball with other kids at the park and telling yourself, "My goodness, I had no idea she could bat so well!" It makes them real... And I like that. ;-)

      Delete
  3. "If it’s no, what’s wrong with you! I mean *cough, cough, cough*, do tell me why not."

    I really must learn to stop sipping my coffee whilst reading your posts. The number of times I nearly choke laughing. :D

    I absolutely enjoy seeing this part of the writing process!!! The story becomes part of a larger universe, which I think is fun. Although you're a big tease because now you've got me pondering about the meaning behind charms like bone, skull, dagger, daisy, cat... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But keyboards love coffee. I know mine does... after all this exposure, lol.

      I will only "tease" for a bit. Just imagine the great conversations we'll have after you've read the stories and we discuss the charms. ;-D

      Delete
  4. I would love this.. she is magickal and mysterious.. She has much to teach us.. wonderful piece I would love to call my own..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loooove seeing this part of the writing process! Treating characters like your babies, your children, your creations; and then nurturing every aspect of them is one of the things that makes your writing so incredible. There is care there, and tons of it. Who doesn't want to read work by someone who gives a crap about what they are writing, in a major way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! If we don't give a damn about our creations, why should anyone else care?

      Delete
  6. I love seeing the writing process as it always fascinates me how artists, whether writers or paintings, go about creating. We all do it differently and some are utterly fascinating.

    Love the athame, it is so well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because we all do it in different ways is one of the reasons why I enjoy blogging about writing and reading what others share about their art; we get the chance to learn so much from each other!

      Delete
  7. The backstory is a character's history. It places them in context & puts their feet on the ground, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words rocketh very mucho, my friend!

      Delete
  8. Yes, I like to see it. Partly it's to see common ground, the things we writers do that is the same deep experience for all of us. The other is to see things that are completely different, a head-tilting moment when I go..."Huh?". Art is unique to the artist and the process of creation is unique to that artist and it's fascinating to see how it happens for someone else. That's one of the wonderful things about the Internet. We can show this stuff, share this stuff, make friends and share joys on a global scale.

    (I kinda went off on a tangent there. Never ridden a tangent before. It's surprisingly comfortable)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your tangents. I can totally see why you like to ride them. ;-D

      Delete
  9. These glimpses 'behind the scenes' are a perfectly wonderful way of getting to know our beloved author, and climb, if only for short time, into her wondrous mind. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel awfully like I have been privvy and exposed to something personal and secret about character (and writer) when I get juicy tit bits (Ms Wicked not those tit bits), so yep I like that extra dimension,... Let me explain, Eliora's blade creation is perfect visually, and I can fantasise it's weight in my hand, but to realise every trinket, stone, charm has been carefully chosen with consideration to what it represents, gives it a 'forth' dimension, so to with the creation of a character, why are they like that, where did they come from, what birthed them into our world? Love the background, fleshy... Fleshy is good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep on saying "fleshy" aloud and giggling. Yes, my level of maturity goes that deep.

      Delete
    2. And yes, to everything you said. ♥

      Delete