The Graveyard Book, Froggy Shakers, Healing Eyeballs and an M48 Hawk

My laptop keeps heating up and crashing. I’ve been very responsible about backing up my work, and I have a Netbook for emergencies… but the situation is still annoying. And my cheap frugal wallet keeps sneering at the upcoming expense. Yesterday, I went to see the ear, nose and throat doctor right after the second computer crash of the day. So I was already mildly pissed off when the physician informed me that he had to cauterize the inside of my nose, in order to treat a recurrent nosebleed issue.

Have you ever experienced the joy of getting one of your nostrils seared? I hope not. Even if I don’t like you, I still hope you haven’t dealt with that burn. The procedure left the bit between my nose and left cheekbone twitching in retaliation. Or maybe it was outraged on behalf of the eyeball right above it, which felt like it was about to melt out of its socket.

Yep, most of yesterday sucked royally. You’re probably thinking, Poor witchy woman! What a horrid day you had!! But nope; my day ended fantabulously!!!

How? Well, I also saw my ophthalmologist. He told me that my eyeball was healing, so I could stop dilating it twice a day. If you’ve never kept one of your eyes dilated for an extended period of time, you might not understand my current state of bliss. Eye pain is quite terrible, but in my case the real torture is the extreme discomfort caused by blurry vision, sensitivity to light and the headaches. The news that I was going to be able to read—even if just for a few minutes—without having to hold the book five inches in front of my face made my day. Scorched nostrils and traitorous laptops be damned!

I messaged my Piano Man as soon as I found out about the no more dilation bit. I might have been giggling too loud while I was typing the text because everyone around me kept on staring. Then again, it could have been all the cotton plugging my nose… Anyhoo, I went home ready to celebrate the return of my regular-sized pupil; to rejoice because my eyeball is no longer inflamed; and to do a little dance for the retreat of the white spot that has been clouding my vision for way too long. And I did dance. I also shrieked with delight when my Piano Man got home carrying gifts.

He gifted me the first volume of The Graveyard Book graphic novel. My mother-in-law sent me a pair of froggy salt and pepper shakers (I can’t look at them without giggling like a loon). And a musician, who works with my Piano Man, sent me an M48 Apocalypse Tactical Axe. Neil Gaiman yum for my reading pleasure, frogs to spice up my day and a sexy tomahawk to make my inner warrior bang her chest and roar! Yep. Life is good… even with an eyeball that refuses to pull its weight.

Of course you can have a closer look, my Luvs. Here is my new toy… No, thats not blood:

And here is the winner of the name the Pirate Girl giveaway (contest?): Petoskeystone. I just LOVE the name Boadicea. Can you guess what her nickname is going to be?

43 comments:

  1. YAY on the eye!!! Jealous of The Graveyard Book, your froggies are to cute, you allways get bad ass gifts don't you? A Tomahawk is so cool!!! Congrats Petoskeystone!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be on a football state of mind! Only that can justify that whirlpool of emotions. ;-)

      Delete
    2. LOL I was, and sadly the hubs team won :-(

      Delete
  2. Congratulations to Petoskeystone. Boadicea is a freakin' awesome name! I'm so glad there's good news about the eye and that it continues to heal. However, I am fascinated, in a rather creepy way, about the nose cauterising. Umm..what did it smell like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The doctor sprayed my nostrils with a numbing substance first. That smelled disgustingly medicinal. The actual scent of the burning didn't register, now that I think about it....

      Delete
    2. I have to admit to some disappointment. I'm happy there was some anaesthesia, but feel this was a chance to learn something deeply personal, like, 'what would I smell like, cooked'?'

      Delete
  3. Ouch! My eyes are watering just at the thought of the nostril cauterizing torture! :( I am, however, thrilled to hear that your naughty eyeball is starting to behave! :D I just received 'The Graveyard Book' graphic novel in the mail! *ecstatic happy dancing*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything feels perfect after holding my graphic bookish present. Hehehe!

      Delete
  4. Oh, that all sounds dreadful, but I'm so glad your day turned out wonderfully.
    Congratulations to Petoskeystone. I love the name Boadicea too, it's a perfect, Celtic name :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite gross... But waking up to no nosebleed is kind of awesome, lol!

      And yes, the name rocks!

      Delete
  5. Jealous about the Graveyard Book! I'll bet the illustrations are awesome. Boadicea is fierce name! Perfect for a determined pirate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It smells fantastic! The book, not the name. ;-D

      Delete
  6. Great name! So sorry about the nose. I have had mine packed clear into my sinuses, but no cauterizing. Yikes! Would love to know what kind musician has access to THAT kind of axe?! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A classical musician with heavy metal in his soul? Hehehe!

      Delete
  7. So glad to hear that your eye is healing! The ophthalmologist dilates my eyes a couple times a year so I know the discomfort and headaches that come from light exposure afterwards. I have to wear these big wraparound sunglasses to stay comfortable on the way home and once there, keep the rooms darkened for the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked quite classy walking around with an umbrella 24/7!

      Delete
  8. Poor Magaly, you patiently present yourself for torture, don't you? So great that you have The Piano Man to sooth you.

    Boadicea is SO perfect. A nickname? Booty, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is quite the soother, isn't he?

      "Booty"! That mind of yours, lol!

      Delete
  9. I am sorry that your day started out so icky but I am thankful it came with many blessings as well. I love the frogs! I hope your eye returns to normal soon. Please keep us updated to let us know how it goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yea! Your eye is healing :) :) :) Hopefully, it won't tear up too much when you go laptop shopping ;) Oh, & yea for choosing That Name. Whatever nickname is chosen, had best with said with a great deal of respect. Do you think that the Gaiman graphic novel would make a nice gift for an 8 or 6 year old?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect my eye will be quite upset whenever I look at the prices, lol!

      I think you will like her nickname, too. I will let it be a surprise.

      I haven't finished the graphic novel yet. The art is quite graphic when it comes to blood, and the concepts are very dark and some of them very complex... I think 8 or 6 might be a tad young.

      Delete
  11. ...Wait, you have a...hatchet..?! I love it! It's my favorite role playing weapon.

    Now here's the unexpected or possible annoying part: Yes. Yes, I have had the inside of my nose seared. And I know about all the nerve endings and blood vessels there, and even with Lidocaine it hurts like hell.
    I have over-active and swollen sinuses and 5 years ago they burned off some of my mucus membrane creases deep inside my nose. But really my septum is enlarged and needs to be shaved down. Woot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You see? We can even write some quite horrible things together, lol!

      And yes, I have a hatchet! And a few mildly ginormous blades. ;-D

      Delete
    2. I had an ENT say that I needed the same as Ms M. All he had to say was 'we will have to stuff your nose with guaze, which will probably dry in & itch.... No the hell thank you!

      Delete
    3. I'm beginning to wonder if ENT doctors are just closeted medieval torturers...

      Delete
  12. I am sorry about your nose and your computer!
    I remember once, my mom had a growth on the side of her neck. The doctor was like, I will fix that. Freezes her, gets a large knife out, cuts it out and sizzles it afterwards, with some kind of wand. Done in like minutes! Smelt like roast beef cooking! LOL! I made my mom laugh ;o)
    Love you my friend and congrats to Petoskeysyone ;o)
    But, I am so happy about your eyeball ;o)
    Love your treasures you got! You deserve them SO MUCH!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You tell the Crow Mom that she's my heroine. I would have given a lot to have seen her laugh... and to have seen the doctor's face!

      Delete
  13. They say(?) write what you know, chalk this up to research! No seriously, enough already, you get married then start to fall apart? lololol Love your practice axe!
    Congratulations Petoskeysyome! xoxoDebi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told my Piano Man the same thing, lol!

      Delete
  14. I am so glad all the problems are leaving however slow that may seem it is good. Hubby had some horrific nose bleeds this past summer and they packed his nose. He said it hurt like Hades.

    I might go through some eye dilation if I knew all those gifts were coming to me.

    Heal well and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why anything that has to do with the eyes and the nose is sooo very painful. And goodness, we are left looking so freakishly goodfy!

      And yes on the dilation for presents, lol!

      Delete
  15. I loved the Graveyard Book and can't wait to get the graphic novel! Glad your eye is doing better as dilation is a royal pain. Let's hope the nosebleed situation also resolves itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The art is so pretty! So many of the characters look exactly the way I imagined them, and I always love when that happens.

      Thanks for the healing wishes!

      Delete
  16. My laptop is doing the same thing....must be catching. Sorry about your nose...makes me shiver thinking of it. Yikes. But I am glad that you eye is getting better.....Yay.
    And as to the name...it is glorious, very hearty and bold....just like a pirate should be.
    Be well dear one.....Oma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A laptop crashing pandemic! Zombies are next. *sigh*

      It seems that everything is getter better... slowly. I'm happy for that.

      P.S. You've been in my mind lately...

      Delete
  17. Yay that's so great sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. There is a Graveyard Book graphic novel? Hyperventilates!

    Glad your eye is healing! I bet you looked a sight with a dilated eye and cotton up your nose, giggling at your phone, I love how you can see the funniness in everything!

    I am a bit worried about you having that Tomohawk- probably a good thing you didn't get given it BEFORE the mean man burned your nose? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *deep breaths, deep breaths* Better? Good! The art is yummy!!!

      Have I told you that your handling of imagery makes giggle?

      Delete
  19. Oh god that sounds horrible the nose cauterizing! GAW! In happier commentating the tomahawk and The Graveyard Book are amazing gifts and I am very jealous. Inform me of how the book is! Neil Gaiman is obviously a wonderful gift to us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall tell you all about The Graveyard Book graphic novel. I'm enjoying it a few pages at a time... I want to savor the yum.

      Oh, and I promise not to tell you anything about the nose torture. ;-D

      Delete