Poesy, the Pain Chasing Monster… and Dead Woman’s Crossing

I’m spending this week getting my body ready for several procedures coming my way—don’t ask; no, really, don’t; I am certain that you don’t want to know; I wish I didn’t have to know. Anyway, let’s just say that this won’t be one of my favorite (or most comfortable of) weeks.

My body is exhausted… but as “The Superstitious Science of Werewolves” and “Dark and Bright of Nature, Doctor Witch” and all the editing I’ve done these last few days might suggest, my soul and Muse are full of energy. I’m grateful for that gift. And for the encouragement I keep on receiving from my Piano Man and from you, my Wicked Luvs. I’m a hot, strong, intelligent (and tremendously modest Aries) woman, but I doubt my strength would be enough if I were to lose the energy I get from all of you.

A former colleague recently asked me, “Why don’t you take a long break from writing? I know you love creating your stories, but you won’t heal if you don’t rest.”

One of my dearest friends answered the question better than I ever could. She said, “He obviously doesn’t know you. The doctors and some rest might be able to heal your flesh and bones, but storytelling is the only thing that keeps your soul in good health.”

Typing her words, just now, filled my eyes with happy tears. It is so incredibly pleasing to have one person who knows me; and realizing that I have so many other persons who take the time to check up on me, who understand the difference between resting my body and letting my Self whither, well, my Wicked Luvs… that’s magic.

So thank you for the energy, for the laughs, for the cyber-hugs and for all the magic you bring into my life every time you say, “I love that story, Magaly! Can I please have more?”


Yesterday, the magic and the love and the soul-fuel that keeps my heart dancing and that inspires the Muse to birth the next story or poem came into my home in the shape of a precious little doll. Her name is Poesy, and I’ll quote her creatrix, the Mistress of Little Gothic Horrors, to say that “her monster-y mission is to chase away [my] pain.”

My darkest and sweetest Emma, the pain that keeps on trying to steal my mobility, my smiles and my time will never dare to confront the healing wonder of Poesy’s creepilicious button eyes, um…eye. I thank you from the bottom of my wicked witchy writer’s heart.

Now, let me tell you that dearest Poesy didn’t take long to claim every bit of this house as her own. She tried to climb my bridal tree… but her armless situation kind of got in the way and she chose to settle on top of a journal and some Gorey books…
She spent some time grinning with AlmaMia Cienfuegos
Stood imperiously with The Bloody Bride and Señor Boneheadless…
Joined Throg and other members of the local frog resistance…
Schemed mayhem with Rocket Raccoon and Cuckoo, the get-well-monkey…
Poesy also claimed a sizable chunk of my Friends-Are-the-Best-Medicine board…
She’s also ready for Witches in Fiction 2014… Yep, the monster-y girl moves fast.
Wait! 
I’m not done yet. Remember the “Dead Woman’s Crossing” bit in the title? Of course you do; dead women aren’t all that easy to do away with. Well, I challenged Hedgewitch, a mind dazzling word-weaver, to write a poem set on a carnival or circus during the Autumn Equinox. She accepted, and spelled a thing of mysterious beauty. So fly over to the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, to read of “Love, Death and Carnivals,” a delicious equinox treat.


And I had to share this picture of the Equinox outside my window.
I wish that the perfect dance between light and dark finds you happy, my Luvs. ;-)

44 comments:

  1. All the people who'd have died long ago if it weren't for storytelling (yours and mine)... your friends should be glad you haven't taken a break yet. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. People do seem to insist that 'rest' mean one thing. However, if your mind isn't at rest, your body won't follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, & I hope those procedures do good!

      Delete
    2. One of these days society will become very clever and realized that, 1) The same things have different meaning for different people, 2) The body can't "rest" independently from the spirit...

      I'm crossing my fingers for those procedures, too!

      Delete
  3. I love Poesy--she is just the thing for a witch to cuddle up to, because goddess forbid you have some goopy fluffy bunny instead or something. I hope all goes well with you this week, Magaly-- you never cease to amaze me with your energy and positivity. Thanks so much for the challenge you gave me,which completely swallowed me up and gave me an almost out of body travel experience to the nineteen hundreds, when life was just as difficult and just as full of unexpected magic as it is today. And don't forget writing is like an apple, the gift of Eve, and a little a day keeps the doctor away. ;_)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! How I love how a symbol of knowledge keeps the doctor away!

      I'm so happy you got to do a bit of time traveling. That's always the best. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Forgot to tell you, I dreamed about "Dead Woman's Crossing." It was quite intense...

      Delete
  4. My wish is that the medical profession show you as much concern and attention , that all these kind heart do.
    Oh Emma! Truly shattered joy, posy is splendid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So mote it be, Debi! And yes, yes, yes about Poesy. She is quite the star! She's staring at me, right now...

      Delete
  5. You are going to have to move to a bigger apartment to make room for all your lodgers lol Will be keeping you in my thoughts while you are being poked and prodded by the men in green. :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! You know, I was thinking about that as I took the Faerie Mummy out of her sleeping place. I need to get some shelves for these ladies and gents, or a second apartment. It's so nice to see them around all the time.

      You had to say "poked", didn't you?

      Delete
  6. Be well, Magaly. I'm sending my strongest healing thoughts from the African continent to see you through the trials ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Kerry! ♥

      Delete
  7. Write to your hearts content. If your mind is rested your body will follow. Sending out all the healing wishes your way that I can. Love the new addition to your household. Poesy definitely fits right in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Red socks! Red socks! And slippers to boot.

    I was thinking, why not compose into an audio recorder, that way you can write hands free? Look ma, no hands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, that first line sounds like the title to a story... I'm thinking Steampunk. ;-D

      I use the audio recorder every now and then, but it isn't the same. I will use it permanently if I have no other choice, but I really hope I don't have to.

      Delete
  9. Poesy is adorable! May her magic help lessen your pain. Hugs, Magaly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I laughed out loud at the mind picture of armless Poesy trying to climb your bridal tree! :D Thank you so much for this lovely post and the adorable shots of Poesy making herself completely at home. ❤ I'm so sorry that you've got a hellish week of procedures ahead of you, but your little monster is tenacious when it comes to fulfilling her duty and you'll find her relentlessly optimistic. ;)

    I ADORE the view from your window! I saw the first episode of season two of 'Sleepy Hollow' last night, and now all the aerial establishing shots make me think of you. The style of homes and the foliage look just like your photo. *dreamy sigh*

    Oh and by the way, "creatrix" is now my favourite word! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for Poesy and Drusilla to have an adventure together (must contact Holly). Just imagine the kind of mayhem those two would concoct!

      The body has been kind of a pain lately, but I trust things will get better. I have Poesy, don't I? And she is unstoppable. ♥

      I'm not saying anything (hm... I think I just did, lol), but someone might have stopped by Sleepy Hollow and gotten something powerful and scented to send across the world. ;-D

      Yay for new favorite words!

      Delete
    2. Eeeeeeeep! You went to Sleepy Hollow?!!! ❤ ❤ ❤

      Delete
    3. Yep. And then I went to the post office. :-D

      Delete
    4. Don't get too excited though. It isn't much, lol!

      Delete
  11. I love Poesy ;o) I am so happy Poesy is with you! Keep feeling our love and healing prayers for you Magaly!
    The picture from outside your window is gorgeous!
    Love you xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the prayers, Stacy Love! I've been thinking about you, too. And sending curses to mean wasps and opportunistic allergy. I hope you are well and painting your massive amount of commissions to come!

      You are loved right back. ♥

      Delete
  12. I have a friend thatbis a professional storyteller. She works with the New Mexico Corrections and various battered women groups. I have witnessed the healing ability of her stories. You are such a storyteller. The healing goes both ways, to the reader and to you as writer. So, write on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Storytelling can take our minds and souls to places our bodies will no longer go (because of physical or emotional reasons). And yes, the healing goes both ways. The storyteller is the driver and the reader the passenger... and there comes a time when readers take the wheel for a bit, and this makes the journey so very interesting.

      I shall write on!

      Delete
  13. Poesy is too precious. What a darling little creature. I am sending you strength as you get poked and prodded . Keep writing, darling witch. The world needs your stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'll experience some very strange giggling moments. I just know it. Yep, I can just see it: me being examined, and remembering that you and Gina sent me energy for when I was getting poked and prodded, lol!

      Delete
  14. Poesy is bloody gorgeous, and her name is perfect! Emma is a marvel with a sewing machine!

    What a naughty minx she is though (Poesy, not Emma), getting up to all kinds of 'can't keep still for a second' mischief!

    The view from your window is breathtaking. I do love Autumn. It makes me glow on the inside. (glowing on the outside would just be odd)

    Enjoy the rest of your week dear Magaly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I just heard Poesy cackle when I read that she "is bloody gorgeous." Yes, that busy, healing, minxy girl can read minds, too.

      (I'm pretty sure "minxy" is not a word.... but it sounds sooo cool. ;-D

      Delete
  15. Darling Magaly, I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. It sounds like your life has just been going in and out of the hospital for at least a month. I'm really glad you have your muse to keep your spirits up, but I can feel your body's exhaustion from all the way over here. Please take care of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always make sure to take my breaks in between. I have a Piano Man who is worse than a psychotic nurse. Maybe that's why I love him so much, lol!

      Delete
  16. Poesy has to be good medicine, she is really keeping your soul well and your muses on fire! So glad your friend has sent her to you! I am thinking of you during this time of medical tests. Na biodhbhur cridhe fo thrioblaid. (Let not your heart be troubled in the Gaelic language)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall remind my heart that smiling always feels better than worrying. ;-)

      Thanks so much for the good thoughts... ♥

      Delete
  17. See, I'd offer something encouraging about how you should keep writing and never stop, but let's be honest, it's not really as if you could stop writing, is it? The desire will always there, and the Muse will always have "just one more idea", won't she? Instead, I'll wish you well through the medical maze you're dealing with and offer the hope that your writing keeps you as busy as it keeps us entertained. Love the picture. It screams Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      And yay, for screaming Halloween pictures. ;-D

      Delete
  18. I have to agree about the writing thing! It can be hard work but it makes life more magical, and the good vibes we get from those who read it help too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aside from being sorry about the Procedures, what a wonderful romp this post is, with the wonderful photos of your new one eyed girl in all the various spots...I love the glimpses of the eclectic art in your home, it looks like a fun place! Yes, I agree with your friend who knows you mist write to keep your soul happy. The body will mend itself...........Hedgewitch's response to your challenge was mind-blowing. It truly blew me away. Great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun and rather colorful, lol!

      Yes, Hedgewitch's response is certainly magical.

      Delete