If a Faery and an Assassin Fall in Love, Where Shall They Live?

My current eyeball issues have my Muse (and a bunch of my friends) thinking about pirates. Yes, pirates. So I wasn’t surprised when a young teenaged pirate wandered into one of the thirteen stories I’m writing for Blooming Howls—the short story collection I’m publishing next month.

The pirate girl is daring and ferocious. She is also resourceful, which explains how she has been able to survive as one of the thousands of homeless souls in New York. As my Muse followed the pirate girl around The City, trying to figure out how she got her eye patch, what she did for food, how she managed to hold on to hope… the part of my mind that is always thinking about every character I’ve ever created wandered head first into a realization: I have no idea where some of the characters of my short stories actually live.

I stopped writing about the pirate girl’s day to day adventures, and began to search for a home for her… and for many of my characters who as of right now seem to reside in limbo (i.e. Lum, Emma and Regina, Darlene, the women from Touched through Blood and Dust…). The home hunting lasted some time… And I’m not sure how it happened, but by the end of my exploration Lum and Darlene were together. Yes, that kind of together.

So the story of the pirate girl—whom, by the way, is yet to be named—morphed into a tale of beings who come from different worlds, but live in the same city. I can’t wait to see how they’ll help or hinder each other. I’m psyched about exploring how our favorite bad faery and our questionably insane assassin fall for each other… And my curiosity, when it comes to where they’ll build a home for their newly found love, has turned into a living thing. 

This image is from Bad Fairies: The Real Reasons for the Bad Stuff That Happens in Life, a cute and sometimes hysterical wee book, by Fay Langmore. It made me roar more than once, and you know I’m all about sharing the yum. If you want it, end your comment about this post with a name for the pirate girl. If I like your choice best, I’ll send Bad Fairies your way *giggles*. You can choose a name for the pirate girl, even if you don’t want the book. I will select a winner on Friday, September 5th.

25 comments:

  1. Your wonderful characters all live together and play together in your head, so why shouldn't they in writing?

    The Pirate Girl's name should be Sunflower, which also follows the Sun with one big eye. I imagine she has a passion for Sunflower seeds, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes perfect sense. A huge house full of... oh goodness, never mind. If some of my characters were neighbors they would probably devour each other!

      Yay for sunny names!

      Delete
  2. I see Lum and Darlene living at the top of a tall but old building, a lot of time spent on rooftops. Darlene is known to be erm...houseproud? and Lum seems to like to be fashionable and design conscious, they are probably a good match, especially if they have the same taste in shoes, they could share, or would that cause arguments? Can't wait too read their story.

    Pirate girl I'm curious about, I associate pirates with either the high seas or air ships so what is one doing in the city? I'll think about names in my sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darlene does appreciate her tidiness, doesn't she? And yes, Lum has a very specif sense of style. I'm dying to see how this will translate!

      I'm curious to see what names your sleep will produce. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Boadicea is badass. Or Tallulah if she's a red head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Both of these names tell a story all by themselves!

      Delete
    2. For me, Boadicea says 'don't fuck with me' while Tallulah says ' go ahead. that way I won't be bored for 7 seconds'.

      Delete
  4. I look forward to this tale as I love your feisty female characters,. Your wild swashbuckelette must be Mangoletta. Silver. xoDebi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mangoletta sounds bright, musical and so very earthy!

      Delete
  5. Ouuu a lovely pirate girl! I think she should be named Penelope! I sometimes feel as though my love and I are from two different worlds, meeting in the same place. It's kind of difficult, and kind of beautiful all at once!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautifully difficult might keep some of us quite interested... ;-)

      Delete
  6. Love the idea of Lum and Darlene being together; can't wait to read what you wicked mind comes up with.

    The irst name I thought of for your Pirate girl has already been said so the second name that comes to mind is Marisol, hope you like it, and I hope your feeling better today!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those two will probably rock the world!

      Marisol is a stunning name. Love the brightness of it.

      I'm not feeling worse, today. And I've come to translate that as feeling better!

      Delete
  7. The Morrigan or Maeve! Can hardly wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maeve makes me think of Harry Dresden!

      Delete
  8. What an interesting idea. Now I am starting to think about what if your characters lived in a share house and had crazy times, ha ha. They can't invite that vampire girl or she'll just bite them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone needs a little nibble ever now and then. Ha!

      Delete
  9. My suggestions are Polyphema (after Polyphemus of of the Odyssey fame), Iris, Circe, and Ybel

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I was naming a pirate her last name would probably be Waverider and her first name would be something hard and edgy on the tongue. Which I would need to think about -so for now my suggestion is just for a last name. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can certainly picture a pirate girl named Waverider... she wears a lot of blues and grays... and yes, she is rather sharp. ;-)

      Delete
  11. I do hope your eye is much better today dear Magaly <3

    I think something like Raven Blackwater or Scarlet Silverblade are fine pirate names ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Francie are hot with the last names. I do love Blackwater!

      My eye is better. I might be celebrating too much, but I can't help myself, lol!

      Delete
  12. Darn it, this is the give-away I missed!
    I can't wait to read the story ;o)
    Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be more. Lots more.

      Much love, my Stacy. ♥

      Delete