Eyeball-Glint and Too Much Teeth

I was challenged to a fiction battle. And the Muse began sharpening her ax and staring at me before the challenger was done saying the words… So I thought it would be best to accept.

I’ve been talking to her—to my dear Muse—suggesting that perhaps we should try to write a tale whose theme resembles the motifs contained within “No Power in the ‘Verse Can Stop this Leo,” which is the story that inspired the challenge… But whenever I bring up the issue, the Muse just cocks her head to one side, nods slowly and grins at me while showing a rather unnerving amount of teeth and eyeball-glint.

If that wasn’t odd enough, many characters have submitted requests (and threats), where they detail why making them the protagonists in the challenge would be healthier for my dreams, nightmares and for my breathing. The latest message was from Darlene… I haven’t opened it yet. I mean, I love the girl and all—I birthed her, didn’t I?—still, she makes me a bit nervous.

I just wanted you guys to know what I’ve been up to: attending an indecent number of medical appointments, editing a short story collection scheduled to be published this October, writing poetry, plotting a tale for the Fiction Battle… I’ve also been trying to figure out why Drusilla sent me a letter that only says, “Hope the deciding is going well, Lady Magaly. Is your eye healing? If not… ” I guess she ran out of ink because she didn’t finish the sentence. Oh, little Drusilla also included this picture:
Girly Rude, by Dottie Gleason

Anyway, I haven’t decided what to write about yet. And the battle stories must be published on October 2nd. Who do you think I should write about, and why? Any particular character you’ve been craving to read or run away from? ♥

33 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You terrible, terrible woman!

      Delete
  2. Your creatures are so beguiling, Magaly. Frightening, but beguiling all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All your characters are wild, could you not have a party for all of them to attend, though you may want to get plastic dinning ware in case things get out of hand. I have to admit at the moment my current favourite is Lum, but little Drusilla is cute (and a little scary). I'd also like to learn more about the Bloody Duchess and how she travels underground with her black and red cloak absorbing the dirt when she resurfaces. I get the feeling she's very environmentally friendly, she doesn't seem to like concrete. Maybe the Bloody Duchess could be friends with Lum?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bloody Duchess, Brew and the rest of the gang have been asking (not so patiently) for page time. And the thought of them and and Lum together? May the gods help that world!

      Delete
  4. Whichever character mostly closely resembles a painted candy skull & the 2 inspiration posts I tagged you in on FB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All stories need a bit of Crypto...

      Delete
    2. Poor Cryptos, they really do need someone (besides the writers of Grimm) to bring their myths to life.

      Delete
    3. Well, you got my Muse all interested and stuff. And after reading this article (http://www.tor.com/blogs/2010/06/cryptomythology-imaginary-myths-for-a-modern-life) I flew to this site (http://lostmyths.net/) and now I'm pretty sure I'm in Lost Myths lust. It's all your fault! So THANK you. ♥

      Delete
  5. As you know I'm rather fond of the characters from "Thorn In Red"; but I'm sure what ever character(s) you choose to write about will be wicked marvelous in that will Rocketh Very Mucho!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did I know you'd ask for Thorn in Red? Did you bite one of the Van Dykes? ;-D

      Delete
    2. I'm not a biter, no matter what anyone says :-)

      Delete
    3. "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." Hahaha!

      Delete
  6. I love that your Muse carries a well honed axe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a creepy (and armed to the teeth) one. ;-D

      Delete
  7. Can your muse call them together in a torrent of inspired fictional fabulousness, ala 'Fables' (have you read those graphic novels) methinks it would provide a interesting layering/montage/interaction of characters for a short tale... hey what can I say, Libran, I never pick one favourite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I just had a literary paroxysms!

      Wait until your read. ;-D

      Delete
    2. Had to come back and giggle *hehehe*

      Delete
  8. Ooooooo, a fiction battle -- is that like a Wizards' Duel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but with tales and without robes. Well, never mind, some people wear the robes, too. ;-D

      Delete
  9. I'm glad to read that your muse(s) are writing to you. And that you are reading the responses. I'm absolutely positive that they will tell you in no uncertain terms what you want to know! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Muse and her minions (I think I'm one of the latter) aren't known for their shyness, lol!

      Delete
  10. Write about which ever character is most itching to be heard. Maybe stop thinking and start writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my characters are pretty loud. Hence I schedule my writing. This bunch won't get their turn until next week sometime... I'm currently working on something to be published elsewhere. I think the characters are just a tad jealous. I write every single day. And when I'm doing something else--almost everything else--I'm also thinking about writing. ;-)

      Delete
  11. Your writing process is fascinating! Good luck, Magaly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear, my mother didn't sew black buttons into your eyes did she? She is a bit of a pain about it, tried to do it to Coraline and to me, her real daughter. Sorry about that.

    I haven't been reading your blog and stories for as long as some of the others so I am not sure who you should write about but I am sure whatever you do will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She hasn't yet, but I think she seriously considering it. I might go the Coraline road, if you don't mind. I kind of like my eyeballs.

      Yay for "awesome!"

      Delete
  13. Ohhh I know how it is. I'm a partner first, a student second, an athlete third and what little chunk is left of me at the end of the day gets split amongst witch, friend, artist, housekeeper, daughter and lady who is trying to keep herself sane. There's just no time or energy for my muse to be answered these days. Hopefully my little characters won't abandon me completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness for the strength (and imagination) that allow us to juggle so many roles. And I doubt your muse will ever abandon you... ever if you try to kick her out... so don't get any ideas. ;-D

      Delete
  14. Anything your muse can bless us with, will be such a gift right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You say the sweetest things. *teehee*

      Delete