Dark and Bright of Nature, Doctor Witch

Shape,
boundaries between perceived realities
and dreamed living,
specie
cul-de-sac,
racial color coding
and inborn evil  
are man-crafted constructs
the spirit needs not.

“Oh, dear wolf, how I wanted my babe and love. But she… she said ‘There are rules separating those people from our kind. Look at his eyes; that shape; that slant that always searches for the path that starts and ends in disaster. Too dark, much too dark for the daughter I shaped from the bright in my soul.’ I so wanted my babe and the love—that bright-dark love—that helped my spirit dance a soul into my womb.”

Ripped.
Against her nature’s will,
bled and emptied
by the self-perceived brightness
believed to be of her kind;
soul and womb
(indivisible, by choice of her heart)
were sucked barren…
one deadened loved-chunk at a time.

“Oh, dear wolf, would you sing to your children of mine? Would your howls raise my babe in moonlit nights over this shoreline? Eat of me; my blood remembers the words. Feed on me; my flesh will tell the tale. Let my spirit join yours in the dark and bright of nature. Let us heal what has been diseased and half-killed. Would you sing to our children of me?”

Wolf bit into love
pained,
fed on soul-hope,
which tastes the same in all tongues—
rich, eternal, malleable, balanced, unstoppable.

To the Moon Mother,
wolf howled of healing,
of love and tomorrow,
of covenants between spirits.

The Moon shined natural approval
of all life of all love
and of wishes unmade.
“Be woman and man to creep in darkness,
be wolf—or not—to run in my bright,
be both to heal in-between,” said the Moon,
“to keep your word,
to guard all sacred,
to remind the spirit
of dead songs bled back to life
in the shoreline.”

Kept strong and fresh by choice,
the Covenant has survived time
and lack of belief.
Guards change with their seasons:
first wolf, then shaman, once a sandpiper, now Doctor Witch;
next season, the shapeshifter returns to mate and woods,
and a surfer shall guard the beach.



for Imaginary Garden with Real Toads (Open Link Monday - September 22, 2014)
and
for Magpie Tales 238

inspired (or beaten out of my Muse… who liked it *cough*) by my Wicked Darlings’ need to know more about the main character of The Superstitious Science of Werewolves

Red Riding Hood Grows Up, by Shlomi Nissim
via Pixdous

44 comments:

  1. In a word, wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, gracias, mi señor. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Yea for Doctor Witch. Shapeshifters are always such interesting company. (Is it bad that the Silver Surfer is the first surfer to pop to mind?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. You just never know what they will turn into. *cough*

      And don't feel bad about your mind pictures. I wonder if the surfer made it into the shore of my story because I've been watching X-Men reruns. ;-D

      Delete
  3. Oh Magaly, my heart is all a flutter with "bright, dark love". My dear your body my not always want to cooperate but your mind/muse is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Muse is quite the rebel, indeed!

      Delete
  4. Love it! You have a wonderful command of the language and the ability to put those wonderful thoughts on paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you, dear Gail. ;-)

      Delete
  5. That mind of yours is where the wild things are... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and the wild things are having a party! ;-D

      Delete
  6.   This story is a delightful fantasy, magical!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Savouring each delicious word. Souls and spirits combined and a magical enchanted moonlit shoreline. I want to visit to see true spirits run in the moonlight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful would that be! If we go (yes, "we") we might now want to come back...

      Delete
  8. <3 your writing is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you think so, dear faery girl. ;-)

      Delete
  9. What a delightful and dark piece. Here I have rediscovered magic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the discovery made you all warm and happy inside... and very curious, too. ;-)

      Delete
  10. What a marvel this is, Magaly! You have blended poetry and prose seamlessly together to bring us the tale behind the picture so very well. It is magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the blending dance was such a blessing, Kerry. Such a blessing indeed...

      Delete
  11. Your prose is poetry Magaly! Brilliant writing as always! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to like each other, don't they?

      Delete
  12. Your writing gets more and more powerful, Magaly. Your are walking among the archetypes - I can always tell - I get a like zap in my soul when something takes me into that realm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May the travels be filled with wonder and warmth!

      Delete
  13. what a magic world you've created Magalay!!...it's a delightful read...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked the form here, the prose paragraphs mingled in. I had thought of writing prose about an experience I had this morning but decided I don't like prose poems. The mixture I can try.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once upon a time (okay, a few years ago), I was not a fan of poetry. I didn't like the way it moved, the way people didn't talk to each other (I used to think), then I started writing my own stuff... and figured out I was just reading the wrong kind of poetry. Then I started reading other people's poetry, and realized that I was just trying to consume poetry through a throat made of prose. The moment I found my happy medium, for reading and writing poetry, everything was well... and better. Maybe mixing it up a bit will change things for you, too, Jim. ;-)

      Delete
  15. Esoteric and so incredibly poetic. I love this piece, it invokes imagery that is both incredibly rich and yet I can't quite grasp it all, it's like it slips through your fingers like an amazing dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richness that slips through the fingers like a amazing dream made of moving glass... I like what I read in your words. ;-)

      Delete
  16. Incredible prose, rich in images, and what really stood out for me were single thoughts, like cul-de-sac and ripped. It's images like that for me, which break open the depth of a poet's idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some words have such a strong hammering power, don't they?

      Delete
  17. Dream-like - or at least that's the way it reads to me. Sends chills up my spine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, feel and sort of in-between sense...

      Delete
  18. You surfed that one in beautifully, friend ...we are all made of the same stuff , being constantly recycled for no apparent purpose , wolves and maids ...i have made my peace with it , its ok ...rest easy. On the beach , youve earned it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This shall be the safest and coolest beach ever. By the way, I've been wondering how the Surfer Guard is doing. I wonder, wonder, wonder...

      Delete
  19. Deliciousness, just pure deliciousness

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very good! I love darkenss too and have wrote some poetry and flash fiction about it. Tasty and the wolf always knows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "...the wolf always knows," indeed.

      Delete
  21. Dark, bloody, and delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you read. ;-D ♥

      Delete