I Know the Looks

Magic happens everyday…

I usually walk home (a bit over 5 miles) after medical appointments that involve considerable muscular exercise, injections or cognitive behavioral work. I think I’ve convinced myself that the walk makes the former more effective; I have no idea where the belief came from… Anyway, yesterday, my first of three appointments was at two in the afternoon, so I knew that I was going to be done fairly late. Before heading to the hospital, I told a friend that I was grumpy because I would have to miss my usual walk.

“Why?” she said.

“You know that hospital is not in the best of neighborhoods,” I told her. “I wouldn’t mind being around there in the dark when I’m one hundred percent, but walking that area alone while half-numb and exhausted would be a little silly.”

“Didn’t think about that,” she said. “I have nothing after work. I could meet you in front of the hospital, walk with you down the hill and then take the train home.”

“You rocketh very mucho, my dearest.”

“Don’t you forget it. Call me when you’re about done. I’ll have The Professor drop me off.”

With an enormous grin on my face, I exchanged the flip-flops I was wearing for red knee-high boots—at the moment, boots are my best walking shoes.


When I walked out of my building, the summer heat slapped me with blazing hands. I arrived at the bus stop fanning myself. There were three people waiting for the bus, two women and a young man, and they looked at my boots and then frowned at each other. I leaned against the pole that holds the bus sign, began tapping my right-booted foot, did a little shoulder dance and by the time a grin filled my hot face the four of us were laughing at the top of our lungs. I love it when I help magic happen…


Lemon Jam and Red Knee-High Summer Boots
a poem for Magpie Tales 229

They saw oranges and grapefruit,
but not even one lemon.
They shook fists and raged for their due.

“Don’t you shout guilt in my face.”
The shopkeeper raised her chin towards the door.
“I did not put all the lemons in her basket.”

“No one should get so many lemons,”
said the hoariest of the shoppers.
“Who is this girl anyway?”

I walked into the shop and grinned—
I know the looks;
I get them 29 times a day.

“I’m she who wears knee-high boots in Midsummer,
collects memorable headscarves
and lusts after sensible messenger bags;

boots to walk steady over pain-pits,
scarves to cover for a shoulder that won’t do my hair,
a messenger bag across my breasts
to distribute the weight
charmingly.

I’m she, who took all the lemons
the Universe pushed into her eyeballs
and squeezed them, and sweetened
the sour little bastards
into a palatable dancing jam.”

I tapped the tip of my red knee-high booted foot,
did a little shoulder jig
and adjusted my headscarf
before offering sweet lemon jam
out of my strappy messenger bag.

The shoppers shook heads to my treat,
but the tremor in their smiles spoke of almost knowing
the taste of my lemons before the jam.

I grinned before walking out of the shop—
I know the looks;
I get them 28 times a day.


38 comments:

  1. Magical, Tart, Sweet, and of course 100% Magaly!!! You wear your boots with pride my friend and keep making magic happen where ever you go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neon Smile, Red Knee High boots and a Pole! Seriously? Sounds like your 100% to me!
    Lovely friend, to meet you, but your getUp d leant help the stroll home saucy witch! xoxoDebi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it sounds like it should go on someone's resume. ;-D

      Delete
  3. Grapefruit make lovely jam as well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I wan to add an extra line that says, "I came to get the grapefruits, too." ;-D

      Delete
  4. Mmmmmmm lemon jam and knee-high boots :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly what I've been saying... and toast, I've been saying toast, too. ;-)

      Delete
  5. I hope your therapy session was productive. I love boots of all kind. I never owned a pair of red ones. They sound lovely!
    You are magick!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red boots are great therapy for the soul. ;-D

      Delete
  6. I don't know what would be the nicest, eating your lemon jam or seeing you in Re Knee-High Summer Boots. Can I do both? . . . lol
    Loved the concept and delivery . . . :) ~ Eddie

    ReplyDelete
  7. If people were frowning at my footwear, I think my default setting would be to go into solitary amused/defiant mode, but you won them over with your charm. You're a charm superhero! Charm Woman! In red knee-high boots!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all do the glare-bare-teeth-take-a-step-back bit. It's for survival. I think I was just feeling extra sassy, lol! And those young adults looked too young to give up on. Does that make sense?

      I shall add "Charm Woman" to my resume. ;-D

      Delete
  8. Lemon toe-tapping jam to quell the heat of sexy knee high boots! Sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My gawd, you're a wonderful poet, Magaly. You have the gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just made me giggle. Which is a wonderful thing, since I just pulled something under my right arm and giggling and sneezing (and breathing) kind of hurts, lol!

      Delete
  10. Ahahaha reminds me so much of me. I worked at the hospital doing office work one summer and always dressed how I saw fit; one particular day wearing black tights and a black dress. A lady at the bus stop who I did not know gives me one look in her bermuda shorts and birkenstocks and says "Aren't you hot in tights?" ha! Some people have no style :P As Miss Stevie Nicks says "And the summer became the fall.
    I was not ready for the winter. It makes no difference at all, 'Cause I wear boots all summer long."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reminding me of this song!

      Delete
  11. I have to admit I have very bland taste when it comes to shoes. I own a pair of original style converse, black flip flops and a pair of black flats and that it is. Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always thought Converse to be super cool. ;-)

      Delete
  12. Walking shoes, I have a small suggestion. When I was really having serious issues on this treadmill, I went out and bought myself a pair of Sketchers with memory foam in them. Best decision I ever made. My feet thanked me profusely and my hip stopped objecting so loudly to my walking. It still objects of course, it's just a little less whiny.

    I own probably......6 pairs of shoes. Three of them are different types of tennis shoes including the aforementioned Sketchers, 1 is a pair of moderately feminine looking sandals and one is a pair of calf high grey suede boots for special occasions. The last pair are a good set of hiking boots. Which my feet detest.

    I wish I had your fearless charisma. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My feet are too skinny (and really long) so most of my shoes have to be special ordered.

      Delete
    2. "Fearless Charisma" sounds like a reality show, lol!

      Delete
  13. How could a Magaly dance fail to make anyone smile! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!
      You must be confusing the Magaly dance with the Stacy Happy Dance. No one does a happy dance like our crow goddess. ;-D

      Delete
    2. LOL! You are too cute ;o) One of these days, I am going to tape myself!

      Delete
  14. I love boots...I lust after boots. Boots get me hot. I don't care that it's summer time, if I can find a way to wear boots I will when I'm up North. Red boots just sound luscious and delightful. I love that instead of getting annoyed wit the looks people were giving, you spread joy. I will take a page from the Magaly book. Grinning at the mental image of shoulder dances that summon laughter and craving lemon now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm grinning right back at you!

      Delete
  15. Make me number 29 ! Your Magic is strong right now, for sure ...
    Have you met my mate at the well of galabes ? He is a neo platonic dude for sure
    All the best
    Kuta '

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you can feel the magic. I just stopped by The Well of Galabes and suspect that I will be stopping by againg. ;-)

      Delete
    2. "again," that is, lol!

      Delete
  16. I'd wait two days till the 28th but only if I had gotten here two comments ago, to be the 28th. Mr. K has that claim, but when you consider your replied within replies, I could argue that maybe 13 more would come in within two days, then I'd be 28th on the 28th and I'd write an entire devotion to the import of 28. Something like too and ate or Tue the 8th, or with two you get eight rolls, or something. I could say I waited two days, one for each heel on blue suede shoes, but then it wouldn't make sense that your boots were meant for walking on my blue suede shoes, because the rule, please don't walk on....whatever you do, don't step on, for heaven's sake, for the love of Jehova, never step on my blue sued....but that is nowhere

    So I'll just make lemon aid and call it a day. Then I'll have a Live Lemon Aid Concert for two. On the 28th.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Señor Winston Riley, you are such a riot!

      Delete
    2. dance. what i want to do
      is dance

      Delete
  17. You rock Magaly! I want a pair of those boots! I have always wanted a pair of red boots to the knee ;o) Then we could both roll our shoulders together ;o) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world might not be ready for you and I in red boots and smiling down the road. It might get overwhelmed by all the happy, happy, happy. ;-)

      Delete