Experimenting with Infusions

New York City is hot. I’m not just talking about my natural luscious hotness or the vapors that emanate from all the modesty I do not possess. Nope, I’m referring to the weather. Last week danced between high 80s and low 90s and… I freaking LOVE it!

I know, I know, my Wicked Luvs, most people hate it when it gets this hot. But high temperatures make me think of afternoons in my Dominican Republic, so I welcome the blazing heat with a smile on my face. And with some refreshing infusions…

No, loving the heat doesn’t keep me from dehydrating as much as the next person. And if you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you already know about my hate-hate relationship with drinking water. The damn liquid doesn’t taste like anything.

I’ve tried several ways to make my water less unappetizing. Some experiments tasted like watery yuck, but my latest efforts yielded yumminess. Here are two favorites:

The middle one has fresh orange leaves (my own plants *giggles-cackles*). And those two pretties flanking the orange leave infusion contain 1/3 of a pineapple core each. They taste like paradise touched water and made it drinkable just for me. 

And for you, too, if you like; just add three orange leaves or a few strips of pineapple core to 8 ounces of boiling water. Let it rest uncapped for a bit. After the water cools some, cap it and stick it in the fridge. I let mine steep overnight, and then sip, yum, sip! 

Last week, I shared an easy Homemade Mango Ice Cream recipe with my Facebook friends. Here it is for those of you who don’t surf the waves of the book of faces:
1 large ripe mango (peeled and seeded)
1/2 cup of evaporated milk
1/4 cup of water
1/4 tsp. of vanilla
1 tbs. of brown sugar

Blend ingredients together for 113 seconds (Hey, it’s my recipe!). Pour the mixture in a freezer safe container(s), and just wait for the yum (3-5 hrs. if using a jar). You can substitute the evaporated milk for your preferred type of milk.

What yummy things do you like to concoct during hot weather, my Wicked Luvs?

Oh, and here are those two yummy giver of delicious leaves. They are such treasures. ;-)

25 comments:

  1. I has an orange tree!!! My youngest spit some pips into a cup of mud when he was 2...and they all grew! Being a hater of the thin chemical enriched substance myself I may have to give this a try :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My oranges trees also came from oranges I ate. I didn't think they were going to sprout--I got the oranges at the grocery store and you know those aren't the freshest of fruit. But they did, and the leaves taste yummy!

      Make sure you don't bruise the leaves (or the infusion will taste a bit bitter). I've combined it with cherry or ginger or three drops of lime juice and yum!

      Delete
    2. Oh, by itself, the infused water tastes like orange blossoms in your mouth. ;-)

      Delete
  2. What a great way to use up leftover pineapple cores!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly! And the same can be done with the peel. I just give it a good scrub before peeling it, and put all the peels in a pitcher with hot water and let it steep. Delicious. ;-D

      Delete
  3. I infuse water with strawberries and hibiscus over night and i adore the bloody redness of it all! I also drink cold teas everyday. My favorite is hibiscus,rosehip and mint with either blackcurrant juice or ocean spray'scranberry light. As you figured out i love red teas in the Summer. And i also love the heat as well. I love the Sun on my skin even on the hottest of greek noons.
    And i love you my dear Magaly. I am so sorry you suffer from chronic pain. I know the challenge and the frustration too well. This past two years i finally learned why dr House was such a ray of sunshine.
    I hope you heal completely and never feel pain again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm closing my eyes and thinking about that pretty red water...

      The pain is behaving itself (a bit). When it gets really bad I try to keep myself busy by doing things with my hands (hence all the experimentation, cooking and such). It will get better And yes, I totally get poor grumpy Dr. House!

      Much love. ♥

      Delete
  4. Ok I have not tried infusing my water yet, but with all this yumminess I think I'm gonna have to try it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do let me know what you try!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely idea that is! I got to try that one day.
    Here (where we got no Orange Trees and hardly any eatable fresh pineapples at the stores) I mostly put mint meaves in my water along with a few slices of various citrus fruits. I guess any herb would do just fine if ones up to it.
    thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Herbs make the yummiest infused waters. My favorite is lemon balm!

      Delete
  6. Oh! You know, I have an orange tree or two, and summer temperatures that get a trifle warm. I usually drink my water as tea, (part of my cultural heritage) but I think I'll give the orange leaf a try. Have you tried water with bubbles in. Perrier is nice. You want a hot weather recipe? There's that banana ice cream that's suddenly all over the web. (Freeze banana. Whizz banana. Eat banana. Yes, it's that easy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like fizzy water very much. Sometimes I think that I'm just making excuses not to drink any water. It is very difficult to try to catch myself at trying to fool myself... See? It's that confusing.

      Delete
  7. Show Off! An orange tree as well! The only thing GREEN here is my envy for your gorgous plantation!
    I am still dazzling the crew with the MANGO! experience , so one trick at a time!
    Thank you for sharing your kitchen delights! xoDebi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My "plantation" LOL!

      I'm so glad that boys are loving their mango experience. It's just sooo yummy, isn't it?

      Delete
  8. I love the dry California heat, but this heat with humidity about kills me!

    I'm a BIG water drinker and love it! My summertime love is cold unsweetened ice tea with lemon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The humidity in New York is lethal, too.

      One of these days I will grow up, give up my sugar addiction, and drink grownup ice tea... Nah!

      Delete
  9. I am happy to drink water on it's own, although the pineapple water does sound nice. I can't stand humidity! I get all sweaty and feel awful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pineapple makes everything much yummier. ;-D

      Delete
  10. The flavoured water sounds delicious, as does the icecream :)

    Amber and I grew an orange tree in a giant pot in our kitchen, from a pip. It had the longest thorns on it, and its leaves had the most gorgeous smell. After about five years it got much too big for the house and so we transferred it to the garden. Sadly the morning frost took hold of it and the tree was no more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just telling my Piano Man that I better prune our little trees (the avocado one, too) with abandon, or they will take over the apartment!

      Delete
  11. Oh okay, now that I am from the Dominican Republic I guess I'll have to learn to love hot steamy weather? I'll try, Magaly, I really will - but if I winp out and start claiming Siberia as my place of birth I hope you'll forgive me! hahahahaha Nice cooool recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you were actually born in Constanza, the only part of the Dominican Republic where I've actually seen frost. It's quite up there. ;-D

      Delete
  12. I have to admit, I love water! My mom says I drink too much of it! LOL!
    Saying that, I love these ideas! I am sharing with mom because she hates water!
    Thanks for all the recipes ;o)
    When, I am really hot, it's water, a cold shower, and some chocolate dipped vanilla ice cream ;o)
    Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNEW I liked your mother for all kinds of different reasons! Mmm, chocolate dipped ice cream sounds really good right now. Yum!

      Delete