Eclectic Sisterly Bridal Bouquet and Handfasting Cord

I will start this entry by saying that “I solemnly swear I’m up to no g…” Wait, that’s a different kind of witchy tale. I just wanted to say that I will write a post about the handfasting preparations and the handfasting day… As soon as I get all the pictures from the dear friends who were so kind to capture our rite of passage into marriage. This post is about my eclectically witchy bridal bouquet and handfasting cord.

Military service and blogging have left me with great friends all over the USA and around the world. If I had been able to do it, I would have probably teleported every single one of them to my side on the day my Piano Man and I wedded each other. But plane rides are rather steep, teleportation is science fiction (as far as I know) and our apartment would have been too small to lodge all the love… So I went with the next best thing: I got charms, necklaces, stones, strings and dolls from several of the ladies who I would have loved to share the day with. And we crafted the bridal bouquet and handfasting cord with those wonderful bits of sisterly magic.

The handfasting cord is made from a string I got from Shelle, a few hairs from an AlmaMia doll made by Rhissanna and red and black hemp chosen by my Piano Man and me.
The wee table on the right was at the center of the handfasting ritual. It held the cord, the rings, the bouquet (everyone held hands while the rite took place), and the hat box with something we made for our guests sat underneath it. The Bloody Bride came from the UK to represent Gina, and the necklace around the table is from Stacy; the rest of the charms and necklaces came from OmaLinda, Debi, Kestril Trueseeker, Mina, Winter Moon, Lorelei, Ms Misantropia, Sarah, BookGirl, Diandra; the two crabapples are from the tree under whose shade my Piano Man and I proposed to each other and the branch is a piece of driftwood we found during our honeymoon. The bottle comes from our local thrift shop.
Every time the charms clinked, I thought about Gina’s witchy cackles, of Lorelei’s soothing words, of Oma Linda’s wisdom, of Rhissanna’s quick mind (which is always in the gutter *grins*), of Ms Misantropia’s unique spunk… of souls and personalities who have been walking this path with me and who have taught me so many things I wasn’t aware I needed to know.
 
The Bloody Bride made the 13th attendant of our handfasting, but the room was full of happy souls. It was the best getting-wedded ritual my Piano Man and I could have ever wished for… Our cord and bouquet made it perfect.

Yep, I totally rocked the hula hoop while my hand was tied to my Piano Man’s. In the wise words of the Little Princess, “Magaly is magic.”

41 comments:

  1. Yes she is <3 :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're just saying that because you know I caught most of it from you. *CWS*

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Magaly and Pianoman!
    I am very honored to have been included in your hand-fasting ritual in some small way, and yes I would have loved to be there with you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch. The pendant you sent me (What, a year ago?) was the perfect shade of black, silver and sparkly for the bouquet. I thought it spoke of all the bits of you I really love (purple is in there somewhere ;-).

      Delete
  3. The bouquet is awesome,beautiful and unique - just like the bride who held it :) Wise words from the Little Princess...........I am SO SO happy for you both and for the fact that the day was exactly how you wanted and you got to share it with those who love you for who you are :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am also both honored and delighted that my holey stone took part in your Ritual - I hope you felt some of the energy from it ;)

      Delete
    2. It was a pure delight. I couldn't stop grinning the whole time, neither could my Piano Man or the guests... it was grins all around.

      And yes, I felt all the energy of your stone! ♥

      Delete
  4. Limber young thing aren't you! I love the photo with you both smiling into each other's souls and the Little Princess off to side Hola Hopping in fushia ! xoxoxoDebi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Limber Witchy Writer, that's what they call me. Okay, no one calls me that, but they should. ;-D The Little Princess was a total start. Just wait until you see her dance. She was the life of the party!

      Delete
  5. This has me grinning from ear to ear, I love how very intimate and YOU even the smallest details of your handfasting were. I'm so happy for you two, the love and happiness is radiating from the screen!

    And a wedding post can and should start with "I solemnly swear I'm up to no good..." ;) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for making the witchy mommy grin! It was intimate and so very ours, Danni. I kept on telling my Piano Man, "This is better than I even imagined." It seemed that even the things we didn't plan came out as if we had done so. Yep, perfect day.

      And I knew you would understand the importance of the beginning, lol!

      Delete
  6. You can see from that photo how much in love you two are! Congrats to you and the Piano Man -- may you make beautiful witchy music together forever! Looking forward to see more pictures of the big day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we had been any happier, we would have probably explode. Which would have ruined that wonderful dress, huh? We shall make "witchy music" and dance!

      Happy Canada Day!

      Delete
  7. You (plural) are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have such great eyes! ;-D

      Delete
  8. Oh! Oh, how wonderful! What a full circle of magic and joy for your handfasting. I am deeply touched and honoured to be included in this love-feast and I hope the strands held strong. Many Blessings to you and your Piano-Man and why the hell are you posting on your blog on your Honeymoon? We've seen him. We know you have better things to do. Go draw a bath and mix up a jug of margaritas...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, we did the honeymoon thing, my dear love; in January. We wanted to make sure everything was serviceable *hehehe*. Still, we've been doing lots of "better things." *cough*

      Delete
  9. Congratulations! I wish you a happy and magickal life!!! I KNEW YOU D BE BREATH TAKING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sooo much, GreekWitch! The day was even more magical than we thought it would be!

      Delete
  10. My mom and I are sitting here crying and we have the biggest smiles on our faces ;o) We are so happy for you and your piano man ;o) My mom loves your smile ;o) We both love your dress ;o) We love everything ;o) Can't wait to see more pictures ;o) I feel so blessed to have been apart of your wedding ;o) Big Hugs, and many blessings ;o) Doing my happy dance ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always welcome happy tears and when they come with a Stacy happy dance, well, they are like rainy faerie kisses. I can't wait to share pictures, too.

      P.S., I hope you gave Mama Crow many, many, many hugs for me. It's not everyday a young soul turns 75!

      Delete
  11. So many lovely shinies, all reflecting & refracting love + joy :) I have never been able to hula hoop---no matter how many hands I have free ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it well! They glowed happy, happy, happy... Every time I looked at them, I grinned. And, oh goodness, there are just some things we can't do. I cannot snap my fingers. I've tried. But nothing works. Guess I'll hula and you'll snap. ;-D

      Delete
  12. If a blog post could ever radiate happiness and joy, this is definitely one giving out that in spades! It looks like it was such a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May all the glow bathe your soul and ours for a long, long, long time!

      Delete
  13. Much happiness to you and your Piano Man, Magaly! The picture of the two of you is radiant with joy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Little Princess is a smart smart girl

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely to see all the mementos of friends and your husband and your life together! Your wedding looks simple and full of joy! How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something to be said about doing certain things exactly like we want. This was perfect for us.

      Delete
  16. You look so happy and so beautiful Magaly! Best of all possible wishes for you and your husband!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *giggles at the word husband*

      Delete
  17. More tears for you today, happiness tears. Congratulations! 1 Million times. You look radiant and so does he! You are magic. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could have probably powered a city, maybe even a city and a half with those happy grins. *hehehe* Such a happy day. I shall tell the Little Princess she is right.

      Oh, and happy tears are still welcomed!

      Delete
  18. Hooray hooray, woo hoo woo hoo! I'm so happy for you and beyond pleased to have been represented by the hag stone necklace. I love your bouquet and all it's jungly jangly beautiful loving bits. The bloody bride is so beautiful, and your smile is radiant. Many congratulations to your family and you, my Witchy Sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your hag stone necklace brought all kinds of light and waves to my bouquet. I thought of you and of the things I want for you... and I hoped hard! ♥

      Delete
  19. Celebrating with an exquisite 90 year-old dress, and a Hula Hoop - Pure Magaly <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me so well, my Lori!

      Delete
  20. I love the gorgeous bouquet and doll, and what a perfect idea for the band with which to bind your hands. I adore your dress. You look absolutely beautiful and so happy.

    Congratulations to you both <3

    I can't hula with a hoop, but you look like a pro ;)

    (this is so much better than typing messages on my phone)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd love this dress. I even told my Piano Man that much when his parents gave it to us. It was so perfect for the day: slick silk under rough silk and all kinds of ventilation. Yum!

      So glad your computer is back in order!

      Delete