A Spark Layered with a Dark Lining of Danger

The circle of birth, living and death (and storytelling) is fueled by events that happen when they must. The birth of a child changes a family’s entire world; a life lived happily and productively leaves a mark in the heart of the world; and the death of people who touch souls take something precious away from the world they leave behind.

All this is true when it comes to storytelling: a birthing spark, a living conflict, the death of something important nearly always mark new beginnings and/or vital shifts. Often, the world of a story (and the hand of a storyteller) is set in motion by a single seemingly trivial event.

Today, the not-trivial-at-all event in question was a review of Thorn in Red, by B R Marsten (aka The Narrator). Here is some of what he had to say about the twists and plots that define the world of Mattalina Thorn and Bran Van Dyke:

“A clever story woven together with strings from Fairy Tales… Magaly Guerrero builds her world with a careful hand, the foundation beneath the make-believe crafted by believable characters caught in a world of the unbelievable.

The author leads you gently through the prose, letting you find the hidden bits and secret paths on your own… [T]he entire tale is layered with a dark lining of danger. The magic in the tale works as it should and Guerrero avoids over explanation or clunky exposition in favor of pace and action.

…Stories and the importance of Stories serve as the lamp light for the roads traveled.”

Why was this review so important to me as a writer? Well, there is the obvious reason: reviews have the power to rock my witchy writer world. And then there is the chaos trying to pass for my life these last couple of months. When you have 3-5 medical appointments every week for who knows how long, you (and by “you” I mean “moi”) must twist and rearrange your life in ways that make sense to the main plot.

This is what my writing scheduled looked like before the medical tornado: continue working on AlmaMia’s novel, two short stories due to two different magazines in May and June, a story collection for Kindle in the summer and another collection in the fall. The May story went out (miracle!) and the June story was given a new deadline (miracle!); I’m currently working on selecting stories from the former summer and fall collections, and turning them into a manageable hybrid that I plan to publish in October.

Cannibalizing collections that took months to structure is no easy task. It’s like taking a sculpture, which the artist had already declared amazing, and melting it to make something different… which the artist will want to declare amazing, too.

But that’s all right, my Wicked Luvs, for this sculptor of worlds knows that my tireless fingertips, my creative soul, my yummily twisted brain (and my nonexistent sense of modesty) will take tales that were amazing for summer and fall, and shape them into a fantastic collection that was always meant to be perfect for October.

There is a lot of work to be had, but the delicious spark given by B R Marsten’s review of Thorn in Red serves to remind me and the Muse that when it comes to storytelling “work” is just another word for “fun”.

I’m off to make battle with the medical tornado, but when I get back… 
Oh, my Darling Luvs, we’ll have deliciously wicked words.

If you haven’t read Thorn in Red, grab a copy from Amazon. 
And if you have, share the spark… write a review. ;-)
http://www.amazon.com/Thorn-Red-Magaly-Guerrero-ebook/dp/B00HGEPC56

20 comments:

  1. *wave* Every word true. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When bits and pieces of writing from other days morph themselves in a new relationship, what is created is fresh and new. Magaly, your writing is one of only a few that I can revisit many times and each liaison shows me something I had not seen before. "Thorn in Red" is especially rich with latent surprises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May you always find a surprise that makes your heart dance...

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the great review! Well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The boy can write, as I said and he's managed to craft a wonderfully articulate piece that says all the things that I would have said, if only I had the words. You deserve every bit of this and your magical little story will continue to leave ripples of pleasure everywhere it touches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From now on, I shall tell everyone, I "leave ripples of pleasure everywhere." Then I will giggle and say, "One of my stories, too."

      Delete
  5. My new laptop is sitting in my car, finally - and thereby I will very soon be reading and reviewing Alma Mia :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review and I can't wait for those wicked words ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes life gets in the way of writing, but our imaginations make us who we are and we must never give up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can write without living, so I guess it's all good. ;-)

      Delete
  8. Oh I has read and reviewed..though my words aren't nearly as pretty as Narrators :D Loved every bit of it :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your review is plenty pretty and full of heart-yumminess. I loved every bit of it, too! ;-D ♥

      Delete
  9. Oh Magaly - what wonderful words! It just doesn't get much better than that! I am so proud of you. Is there a ritual that you do when a story has come to fruition?????? I was just reading Lois 's Mid Life Fibres blog about how she and her husband buried the placenta at night after the birth of each of their 4 children and started to think maybe i should be developing a ritual when I finish a picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a series of little rituals. For instance, when a piece of writing is not working for me I write the title on a piece of paper and add it to a honey jar I keep.

      Delete
  10. Magaly, you are ON FIRE. Of course, "cherry-picking" through one's broader work is hard, but look at the dividends! Good on you, seeing it through the birthing of an entire book. As much as I hate Amazon (they are in collusion with UPS and the drone thingies to shut down our Post Office), I will gladly purchase a Kindle. Also, is it available in "real" book form? If so, I'd pay more for that, as I have a hard time focusing on the computer for a long time at a sitting. (Medication and Mental stuff) Please email me about this question? It's (read it as one word, I'm trying to fool the robots!) sharp little pencil AT gmail dot com. Thanks, hon, and all the congratulations you can stand! Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *glows a bit with the fire*

      Off to send you an email.

      Delete