Unveiled

This takes place after “Camp Cute, Creepy (and Quite Conveniently) Remote
But it can be read without having enjoyed part I.

All sentient creatures dream, but not equally.

Most slumbering humans are puppets of fear, self-imposed limitations and lack of imagination. But creatures suckled by myth, fantasy and creativity dream a different story. A vampire, for instance, doesn’t doubt the instincts that guide her dreams. She embraces the fluidity of the world at hand, and is rewarded with the power to control almost everything within the dream setting.

Since I started writing my own story, I’ve had no issues getting in and out of dreams concocted by humans. And I always avoid the fully conscious brain; while awake and aware, all minds have the power of creation, change and death over my kind.

I’m particularly careful around my Writer. Her dreams are wild and dangerous. Awake, the woman—and the number of works in progress evolving in her head—can be murder.     

Earlier, I entered her mind thinking she was sleeping. Now I’m paying for the mistake. I’m trapped in a mold-covered shack being scrutinized by three unnerving children: Drusilla, an armless vampire; Clare, a girl with bugs crawling all over her; and Roseblood, a blue-eyed kid with rosy lips holding a skeletal doll dressed in pink.  


After a scream shook the small shack and probably the entire campground, I ran for the door. I didn’t see her move, but Drusilla and her wee-fanged grin were standing between the exit and me.

“Made vampires awake screaming with pain and desperation,” Drusilla said. “You can blink already, Miss Red. I promise Mistress Claudia will be her usual sweet self as soon as she remembers that she is not asphyxiating. She is harmless after that; unless someone sings the K song.”

“The K song?” I said, hoping that finding out the title of the song was the key out of the dream. Vampires are all about traps, riddles and other people’s blood.

“Yes, the K song.” Drusilla had a haunted look in her red button eyes.

“Killing Me Softly, by The Fugees?”

“No, Miss Red.”

“Kiss This, by Aaron Tippin?”

“No, Miss Red.”

“Kiss with a Fist, by Florence + The Machine!” I yelled, thinking, Yes, this is it.

“No, Miss Red.” Drusilla swallowed. “It is too painful for us.” With her chin, she pointed towards a corner where Clare and her bugs tried to soothe Roseblood. The pale child was trembling so violently that her skeletal doll rattled in her arms. “We never say it aloud.” Drusilla lowered her voice. “I do not want to believe it, Miss Red. But the history of Camp Cute, Creepy and (Quite Conveniently) Remote says the K song was often sung around campfires and at the beach.” 

“Kumbaya?” I whispered. And I knew it was the right title, and the wrong thing to say. Not because Drusilla began to fade. Or because Clare’s bugs fell off one by one and vanished before hitting the floor. Not even because Roseblood flashed fangs too long to fit in a child’s mouth and let out a hiss that bristled every hair on my forearms. I knew it because everything outside the shack had gone completely quiet.

Total silence while inside the dream of a work in progress is a disturbing reality. Inaction is death to a character. It could mean that my Writer decided that the story of this vampire was not good enough to be developed. If that was the case, she would just stop writing the tale. And the girls and I would be forever stuck in the dream of a character murdered without even becoming a darling.

Fed by panic and will to survive, I walked around Drusilla’s translucent shape and pulled the door open. There was only darkness. I turned around to tell the girls to stay back. They were gone.

The shack had changed into a large room with walls covered in lace. A vampire with cheeks flushed to match her pink, glossy lips slept in a coffin. The creepy eyes of her doll were on me.

Before I jumped into the chaos of my Writer’s conscious mind, I saw the vampire leap out of her coffin with arms stretched out towards me.


I crashed face first on loose soil. Hands too large and strong to belong to the delicate vampire I had seen in the coffin lifted me by the shoulders, turned me around and smacked me back into the ground before straddling my hips.

I kicked, trying to break her balance. Her body wouldnt budge. When physical force seemed not to work, I chanted in my mind, This is a dream. I am the twenty-eighth Red in the Circle of Birth and Death. Born to see brutality, to seek justice, to rescue souls, to fight—

The vampire slapped her hands hard against my cheeks, scrambling my thoughts. “Take the kiss,” she said with pink lips that told lies of love and eternal beauty. “Accept the kiss. Change for me.” She ripped off my veil and forced me to look at her.

Without the filter of my veil, I saw the face of the vampire’s fears: discolored bone under rotting flesh, madness oozing out of eyeballs about to fall out of their sockets.

“I am Red Veiled,” I shouted, striking the vampires throat with the heel of my hand. Something cracked. She raised her hands to her throat. I pushed her to the left, and rolled to the right.

Unveiled, I saw a carnival of death, life and destruction in my Writer’s conscious mind. I tried to picture the home I shared with Ebon, my best friend. Visualized his strong black wings wrapped around me. But what I saw was AlmaMia wailing for two dead girls who hanged from a mango tree, and Mattalina Thorn trying to keep her aunt’s face from melting away.

There was so much noise; some of it coming out of my mouth.
  
I closed my eyes. My mind filled with Ebon’s scent, with his voice, his touch… and I screamed, “I am Red Veiled, reborn to fight for my own life!”

I tried to repeat the cry, but my lips had been covered by the mouth of another. One I had desired and dreamed of, but never tasted before.

I stopped struggling.

Ebon’s wings relaxed their hold on me just a little. “You’re back, Red. You’re home. You’re here with me. I got you,” he said over and over. His mouth so close to mine that I tasted the passion fruit and pineapple candy capsules he loved so much. “Are you all here, my Red?”

His Red, I thought, and said, “I’m all here,” before kissing him back for the first time.

posted by Red Veiled


written for Magpie Tales 222

Partly inspired by this T. E. Lawrence quote: “All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.”
…and works by Rhissanna Dollmaker, Little Gothic Horrors, Paint Myself Pretty, SunshineShelle, ginormous pink lips shared by Tess Kincaid… and “Kumbaya,” the song that scared the living darkness out of Wednesday Addams in Addams Family Values.

42 comments:

  1. I knew that's why you used “Kumbaya,” :) loved this Magaly, and I love the wickedly dark dreams you dream!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wednesday is right, there is something creepy about the way her camp mates sang that song. *shivers*

      So glad you love it!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting choices of nightmares your two girls have. Now that her Veil has been torn away & discarded in another's dreamworld, can Red wear a Veil again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My jaw dropped when I saw what happened to the veil. I, too, wonder what will happen next...

      Delete
  4. Really imaginative writing, and great pictures. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, Doctor. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Your Writer is so commanding. I find myself lost in my own imaginary thoughts, with your vivid words, enticing me to sink deeper in the moment. Another rich, and thought provoking magpie, thanks for the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She provides all of us (who live in her head) with a lot of room to live, play and sometimes... well, you know.

      Delete
  6. Very fun, Magaly! I like your characters. ~ 'Most slumbering humans are puppets of fear, self-imposed limitations and lack of imagination.' ~ this is the key- phrase. Oh, how we need to dare every day trying do something new or change the way of doing regular things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Change is such a wonderful thing to play with. And if doesn't please us the first time around, we just need to change it again!

      Delete
  7. Yes, I love this vampire story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such wicked dreams you have my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wicked is a good way to put it...

      Delete
  9. Well Red definitely got more than she bargained for ....might not be quite so cocky next time you kill her lol :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect she will continue running surprises--some not very pleasant. You know how it is with kids, um... characters, they never learn until someone tries to rip their throat. *looks around to see if Red's watching*

      Delete
  10. Dear Lord, but it's a scary song. The kind of song people sing trapped in the lift...

    And this is wonderful! And I'm so stealing the name Roseblood for my next little vampire doll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it terrifying? The kind of song that makes you want to sway and sway, before just giving up and attempt to strangle yourself with your own hands.

      I think that name would purrrfect for one of your stunning rosy-cheeked dolls!

      Delete
    2. She'll get the red silk I've been hoarding and little red leather slippers, for dancing in the petal-strewn blood.

      Delete
  11. Holy Hell in a handbasket. So Red Veiled without her Veil is like Dresden with his wizard's Sight open? Interesting...

    And Ebon is adorable, just by the way. I think he's my favorite, so far, in this little saga. :D

    -Fox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red can wish, but her problems are a bit more rotten. Did you read the very beginning of Chronicles of a Murdered Darling? There you can see the difference. Oh, wait until you meet the other members of the Circle of Birth and Death. But Red doesn't complain much. She thinks White Veiled might have it worse than she does.

      Delete
  12. Made myself a coffee to settle in for this one! :D What a roller coaster! Nearly sprayed coffee across the computer screen when I laughed out loud over "Kumbaya"... Then things took a grippingly dramatic turn towards the end. BRILLIANT!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Kumbaya" seems to have that effect on must girls of deliciously creepy disposition, lol!

      I think that there will be more of these girls. I really love Drusilla's voice. And I've been wondering about what Cornelia, her ghoul friend, might look like...

      Delete
  13. Ah many pillars of wisdom here, my friend , though The Lion Sleeps Tonight .....seems we are humans are not completely harmless to the denizens of the deep , was it Nietzsche who warned against staring too deeply into the abyss ? Something about it staring back , but a soul as strong as yours has little to fear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many tales writing about and from within the abyss... I suspect the two-way staring will go on...

      Delete
  14. “Kumbaya” seems to have a similar effect on me. A writer's mind is a frightening place - wish I had a Katana. (but I can sing)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something about that song that makes the flesh want to twitch. And yes, a writer's mind is a terrifying place... full of adventures and possibilities. ;-)

      I'm pretty sure everyone wants a Katana, or maybe it's just me. I can't sing all that well. ;-(

      Delete
  15. You are one amazing writer ... 'take the kiss, accept the kiss, change for me' amazing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not Kumbaya, nooooo! LOL! ;-D

      Delete
  16. Magaly, you know you are a fantastic writer, but I have to say it again, you are a FANTASTIC writer!
    I wonder what will happen with Red next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you, dearest crow goddess! We are all waiting to see what happens next (Red most of all, I think). Maybe next week... ;-D

      Delete
  17. you took me to a anther world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that is lovely. I am happy for both of us. ;-)

      Delete
  18. Oh, truthfully transported, loved, loved, loved, I'm so not keen on that 'K' song either ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoyed the ride to no end. I suspect Red felt it as quite the experience. And that "Ke" song.... *growls*

      Delete
  19. Very much enjoyed...as always...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very glad you did... as always... *grins*

      Delete
  20. Whistles!!!!!❤️💛💚💙💜 gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeously penned Magaly :D I truly enjoyed reading this!!❤️💛💚💙💜

    ReplyDelete