On the Summer Solstice They Birth Rainbows

The Archer shot the tenth Sunbird
behind Mythology’s back.

His nine brothers had already gone out,
cooling as they neared the ground,
screaming through
whistling winds,
losing grit and losing shape and losing…

Their un-birth covered the soil with to-be-forgotten ash.

The tenth Sunbird dived from the heavens ablaze—
rays raging hot daring flares.

“No unwelcomed arrow makes me kneel.
Hear you me, shepherd of blinded wool,
I rather go nova with a self-willed splash!”

The Sunbird’s spirit heated the Ocean’s deep,
creating a wave of salty mist.
Mist came steadied with love,
Love joined hands and kissed lips and rose;
the Ocean warmed the Sunbird back into the sky.

At dawn, the Sunbird shines
sparkly kisses on his lover.
At dusk, the Ocean hums
and waves for his lover above.

On the Summer Solstice they birth rainbows. 

to celebrate romantic love in all its shapes, cultures, forms, colors...
and to wish everyone the happiest of all Summer Solstices 
(inspired by The Time of the Ten Suns in Chinese Mythology)

Tequila Sunrise, by Robin Mead Designs

20 comments:

  1. Wooow its so beautiful..that is fine with me..I live it..!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. ...they are the prettiest. I'm sure...

      Delete
  3. Mythology and poetry - they do go hand in hand! I love the intro stanza!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mythology and words share a never ending romance, don't they?

      Delete
  4. This is gorgeous! I am unfamiliar with this myth and you have told it so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are several versions of the myth, but my favorite one has always been the one where the tenth sun refuses to coward.

      Delete
  5. Oh. how lovely. I love me a creation myth and this is a pretty one, full of lust and fire and even a happy ending. (Mind out of the gutter!). You know, your poetry now is very bridal, very Song of Solomon-y and full of summery, fiery love. I'm very happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "'Tis love that makes" me lusty. Hehehe. (Mind out of the gutter!). My words seem to be spilling out with all kinds of bits of me. I like. And I'm happy for me, too. So gracias!

      Delete
  6. Your title is perfection. Thanks for the beautiful poem and happy solstice wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warm and happy Solstice wishes to you too, Sherry!

      Delete
  7. This is so beautiful ;o)
    Happy Summer Solstice ;o)
    Big Hugs ;o)
    P.S. Did you get my necklace yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you think so, Stacy. I hope you had a great Summer Solstice celebration. Guess what? I dreamed your Mom's roses bloomed!

      You already know the answer to the question. ;-)

      Delete
  8. I love the "loosing" line and the one after...thank you so much for bringing this Chinese myth to the challenge...your telling of it is fluid and beautiful!! Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for a great challenge, Hannah. It made me miss old Chinese myths, so after I was done with the poem I spent a few hours reading a bunch of them. It was magical.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful words to bring sunshine and rainbows into my heart :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the thought of sunshine and rainbows in your heart make my day, Ash-Lynn. I hope things are getting better at home...

      Delete
  10. Beautifuuly written, Magaly
    You write such interesting 'stuff' in a variety of ways.
    You have a way with words - it is a gift ~ Eddie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Words seem to like me and I love them back. I suspect our relationship will be a rather lasting one. So I'm very happy to know you think we have a way with each other.

      Delete