You Should Dance When I Die, 2014

You should dance when I die
because you loved me and you knew me.

You should wear my favorite colors:
black and red.
It’ll be okay to cry when you miss me too much,
but the tears should dry as you spin,
laugh and dance for me.

You won’t kill flowers for my Summerland Party.
You should remember that cut flowers made me sad.
But you should bring potted daisies to brighten the place;
pink happy ones to the right of my urn,
and red wild ones to the left of me.

You should keep some of my ashes,
but spread most of my physical remains in the woods.
You should know I’ll want to be trees, soil, flowers…
I’ll want to coat a stone, an old log, a new seed…
I’ll want to be Nature… earth food…

I will, in death, still want to be me.

You should play my favorite music; loud.
At the universe you might shake your fist.
Sometimes you might shout,
“Why did you have to take my love?”
And you might be fucking mad at the world,
angry at me,
at everything…
                              
But you should still dance when I die
because you’ll remember that I lived.

***

In 37-Years Wicked, I said that although my birthday was in April, my Piano Man and I planned to celebrate the anniversary of my birth today. Well, we will be celebrating as you read this. I shall tell you about all the delightful debauchery in a future entry. This post is for something else…

Every year, around my birthday or close to All Hallow’s Eve, I update the list of my last wishes. In 2011, I wrote “You’ll Dance When I Die.” 2012 left the list mostly unchanged. 2013 was a very difficult year, but it was a time for teachings given and lessons learned. The events of the last few years have made me less demanding—changed “you will” for “you should”—it seems that time and experience are experts at showing the heart and head that pushing those we love will get us stressed… asking should get us loved.

My Summerland Party List is growing:
1. Pelo suelto, by Gloria Trevi
4. Home, by Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros

The last song should give my soul at least 13 seconds of silence… and many muffled giggles.

Many—never a witchy person, for most of us embrace the entire Circle of Life—have asked me why I share such grim bits around a happy time. The answer is clear, and very witchy: the scary loses its power over us when we bring it into the light and discuss it with cake and coffee (or tea).

Read you tomorrow, my Wicked Luvs. Today is for brownies, roasted chicken, Sweeney Todd, presents from my Piano Man and the Little Princess… and for letting those who love me spoil me until my blissful giggles-cackles-snorts coat everything around me.


over at Imaginary Garden with Real Toads

43 comments:

  1. Celebrate well! Good wishes for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Great wishes to you (and your studio) too!

      Delete
  2. I love that, it is very beautiful, I love the idea of a funeral being a celebration of someone's life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm crossing my fingers for it.

      Delete
  3. We cannot celebrate Life, with out inviting Death to the party.


    Was your label "You Should Die When I Die" intentional or Freudian, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true, my dear Lori. Death is the only companion we should know will always be with us.

      Freud is being a scoundrel again.

      Delete
  4. Cut flowers make me sad too. A life-affirming poem about death!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cut flowers has always made me think of mutilation. Never a pleasant thought...

      Delete
  5. Your Learning! Cheers! Carry On! xoDebi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful and amazing...I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was reading your poem and saying to myself: "I've read this before, I know I have. Or this is one hell of a déja vu". Then I finished reading and it all made sense.

    My list has alot in common with yours, though mine includes things like: "You should drink to my complete loss of health and you may cry drunken tears that will evaporate on your cheek from high alcohol content."

    Happy celebration day, you big, bad, beautiful you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should suggest some Bailey's Irish Cream to my list. ;-D

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday! Wonderful last wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Celebrate all that is wonderful with those you love xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a wonderful unbirthday, with chicken and brownies! I love the poem, it's full of you and resonates with your own wild self. Updating a list of final wishes is a good idea! We don't know when we're going; it's wise to have prepared something, so everyone left to organise the last party knows what the hell to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, one of these days I will try to put together a post with the things I listed 10 years ago and compare them to what I consider important today. Wow. It seems that two different people wrote them. And perhaps, it's true...

      Delete
  11. Have fun celebrating, and thank you or giving my mind something to ponder over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. Do tell me what came out of the pondering...

      Delete
  12. So beautiful, Magaly. You always open my eyes to new ways of seeing. Enjoy this day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it, Francie. It was lovely and loud with laughter. As it should be. Thanks for the wishes. ;-)

      Delete
  13. I love that poem! I keep trying to tell my husband, who is terrified of dying, that it's only the first step in a journey to someplace else, someplace wonderful, but he just can't overcome his fears and thinks my embracing death as a part of life is morbid. Poor guy. Anyway, have a happy celebration!

    Blessings,

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't help but feel a terrible sadness at the idea of someone who lives afraid of death. Poor man, your love. To be afraid of the only thing that will always get us in the end. *ouch*

      Blessings right back at you. And lively hugs to your husband. ♥

      Delete
  14. The poem is brilliant! Enjoy your day of wild and wonderful shenanigans!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surronded by wild and wonderful shenanigans. Then I ate it all, lol!

      Delete
  15. Your lines are interesting and profound and 'style is the man' isn't it?...enjoy to your fill..wish happy moments to you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "style is the man," indeed. And the woman, too. :-D

      Delete
  16. May this celebration be bright and delightful! Dance and dance and eat and drink, enjoy!
    Blessings to your family Magaly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delightful. Watched movies, ate everything in sight, got my feet and back rubbed, ate some more... like I said, delightful! *hehehe*

      Delete
  17. I know you'll have a wonderful day with the people you love.

    Your poem is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, dear Winter Moon. It was glorious and happy. Thank you.

      Delete
  18. You do know that your eccentricities entitle you to claim descent from British aristocracy don't you :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me, always walking around the world embracing all the things that make sense to my soul and make my heart happy. ;-D

      Delete
  19. hubs think it grim but I did a funeral paper on how I'd like it and it is quite similar to yours :)

    I think death should be celebrated just as birth and love and marriage among others. hugs and many happy returns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The idea of dying is a little grim, I guess. But I will be never be able to figure out why people treat something so natural in such a way...

      Hugs right back at you!

      Delete
  20. Beautiful! I love this ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you because I love it, too. *giggles*

      Delete