Walk with Purpose, Kiss Change on the Lips, Hunt for Balance…

Adelina Soto Thomas—the author of Mid-Stride Moxie!—wrote a blog post that discusses the ways in which diversity, individuality, culture, personal choice and other factors in her life might have led some members of our witchy community to label her a “Bad Pagan.” After reading the reasons behind the you-are-not-so-awesome label, I laughed and told Adelina that if she was bad, then I was most certainly rotten.

Her post has been pacing around my brain housing group for days… You see, my Wicked Luvs, the question of what makes a good Witch or a bad Pagan or simply a decent human being is one often poked, fought over, slapped around… explored by those of the witchy persuasion. Many of us share similar beliefs and practice them in equivalent ways:

Words have power. Darkness is as beautiful, powerful and necessary as light. My pentacle is fire, water, earth, air, and spirit dancing together in the circle of life. Good invites better and bad summons destruction. Magic is as benevolent or evil as its intent and outcome; it is wild energy that can be twisted and changed. ~ “Witch, Wiccan – Tomato, Potato

But in the end witchy people are usually as different as fire and water. Let me share an example. My best friend has the blackest thumb in the history of gardening. Without trying, she was able to murder a plant that had been nursed by her father for over 60 years. The same witchy woman has a gift when it comes reading to the stars. She can deduce things from the sun, the moon, the planets and their dances with each other that always leave me in awe. She is a Witch.

On my part, I can only tell you that the sun, the moon and the planets are there. I feel the pull of the moon, but most of the time I can’t tell where the friskiness came from until after the deed is done. However, unlike my friend, I can garden in my sleep. Plants love me and I adore them back. My favorite witchy librarian used to tell me, “Even your toes are green, Fireball!” I am a Witch.

We are so very different, my best friend and me. And time has taught us that those differences might be the ingredients making our friendship stronger (and so much fun). We complement each other. I am fire and she is water. Together we walk with purpose, kiss change on the lips, hunt for balance and make delightfully strong magic: we are Witches.

Fly over to Adelina’s blog. Her examples of what might have made her a “bad Pagan” are quite enlightening (and freaking hilarious at times). And please, my Luvs, do tell me, what would you say makes a good/bad Witch, Pagan, human being?

Fire and Water, via Mobile Toones

17 comments:

  1. Wow, very interesting! I am still to find my skill, I am searching, trying not to be impatient, and to learn slowly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the searching is most of the fun. And we stop having fun at being ourselves when we come to the erroneous conclusion that we already know everything.

      Delete
  2. Honesty. If you are living the life you profess then you are being the best you can be. As long as you are being true to YOU it matters not how others see YOU. They would be better at being themselves if they focussed more on THEMSELVES and spent less time trying to mould others into THEIR perception of what is "GOOD" or "PROPER"....and that was way to serious a comment for Saturday morning :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should start a Serious Saturday meme, just to annoy you. I can't believe you still sending me just blurry snaps of that precious doll. You are a terrible Witch, did I tell you that? And a fun, fun, fun one, too. But still, I shall think about the Serious Saturday (to Torture Gina) meme.

      And yes, being true to ourselves is the only way of truly being good. For it doesn't quite matter what others think, expect or dictate we should be. We are only us.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed the post, both Adelina's and yours. I'm not a pagan or a Christian. I'm a hybrid. Are there good hybrids or bad hybrids? I have no idea. In just accept that the Great Mother is calling us all whether we are Pagan, Jewish, Anglican, Catholic, Humanist, Muslim etc.,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hybrids and eclectics are the very best in my book. The more we explore, the more information we have; especially if we focus on exploring what works for us.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for letting us know about this great post -- I agree with her completely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you're very welcome. I'm happy you flew out there to join the discussion. Wisdom is so delicious when is brimming with wisdom and good old mirth. ;-)

      Delete
  5. I have defied description (at least polite description) since I was a child. As I have aged, I also increasingly defy being judged or pigeon-holed by ANYONE.

    I LIKE who I am, no explanations, no apologies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judge Not! Less Ye be Judged! Is what I say and that stone throwing, lass house, without sin thing as well!
    Each must be different to bring more power! Cause I say so! I'm old and I know!
    I'm still quoting stagnation is the scum of the universe! Now you throw " kiss Chang on the lips" know wonder my kisser is wore out!
    xoxoDebi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we can start a collection of by the seat of our pants phrases. May your kisser regain its energy. ;-D

      Delete
  7. I haven't read Adelina's post yet but I'm looking forward to it. This very topic is the reason I don't identify myself as anything in terms of spirituality or sub-culture... I hate having to follow the "rules". It's so ironic that even in groups clearly outside the mainstream, there is still a need by some to impose strict conventions on others. It seems to be a form of insecurity. Needing others to conform in order to validate themselves and their choices. If no one is being hurt, then live and let live, I say! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a couple months, I'm writing a series of posts on the topic of why and when I started calling myself witchy. I'm totally tagging this response. For I agree. But I'm in the middle, too. I love words and symbols; they make communication a wonderful dance... and some relationships a nightmarish struggle, it seems.

      "If no one is being hurt, then live and let live," indeed. And dance, all is yummier when there is dancing. ;-)

      Delete
  8. I think your friend is adorable ;o) Loved her blog post! I guess I'm a bad witch too ;o)
    I hate using the words good and bad. I think if you are true to yourself, that's what matters ;o)
    Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems this world is full of witchy baddies!

      Delete
  9. My mom was called a witch since her teenage ages! She had (and has) big brown eyes, and can look at you intensly at times (when she wishes so). Also because so many young lads used to like her, others envied her and called her a witch. It gave her so much charm in my eyes! :) My witchy mommy. But that was just a name, no big reason behind.
    Tags and labels we people like a lot. It is like I wrote a post some time ago about stereotypes that all the witches need a black cat.
    I commente din yoru friend's blog, I am sure she found loads of support now from so many "bad" and "good" witchy dears:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big brown eyes that enchant. I can almost see that penetrating gaze...

      Black cats are so very misunderstood. And they are so pretty.

      Delete