Passion (of the Zombie) Fruit

About a month ago, I gave up the fight against a pest that was attacking my passion fruit vine, and just went ahead and uprooted the plant. I took the soil out of the house, cut the plant and bagged the pieces—I didn’t want the disease to affect my other green babies.

Then I realized what day it was (no tree-cutting day, according to my Grandmother). I grabbed the root out of the trash, scrubbed it and placed it in water… A week went by and nothing. I thought the poor thing was done for, but the little green lady wasn’t having any of it; three days later, I saw the first bit of green popping out of the root.

Here is Miss Passion (of the Zombie) Fruit, three weeks after her death by shears…

…and this is a month after she rose (with some help) out of the trash, and sprouted.

It might be too soon to tell—let’s hope it isn’t—but I think the pest is gone. I’m not sure what the thing was, but it was eating the leaves… I tried pruning and it moved to the stalk… I chopped and chopped and chopped, but nothing helped. After I pulled the plant out of the soil, I noticed that the filmy thing went all the way to the roots. It was the reason why I threw it out.

Wondering what changed things? I’m guessing pure desperation and a bit of good luck. I didn’t add anything to the water, but the new leaves look healthy. Fingers crossed, right?

Oh, and I had to show you these cherimoya seeds. They look black (and smell suspiciously funky) while they are fresh. But I love the burnt honey color they adopt after they dry.  I want to do something crafty with them; any ideas, my Wicked Luvs? 

24 comments:

  1. So happy that your little Zombie :) is feeling better and is looking good too!!! I'm not sure what I would do with the seeds... but knowing you, you'll come up with something truly unexpected and magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such a mind-reader. I think I've figured out what to do with the pretty seeds! ;-D

      Delete
  2. Resurrected and looking all cheery and greeny - well done Magaly! I just love the fresh green of the fruit's leaves!
    Hmm... the first thing came to my mind - make a necklace of the seeds, you can color them or add glitter... or cover with transpartent nail polish so they keep the color intact. OR you can stick the seeds to some jar to make a candle jar :) Well, you know better I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A candle jar? That sounds wonderful!

      Delete
  3. That's a happy looking zombie. Did it have something white, stringy and fungus-y, maybe? Very diluted listerine is supposed to help with that; it works on mildewed roses. Pretty seeds? Do they rattle? You could add them to a jar or gourd, for a musical sound. How about inside a long cardboard tube stuck with thumb tacks, as a rain stick? Glue them to a styrene ball, for a tactile, decorative orb?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The film looked like a wet spiderweb. Never seen it before. It's gone now and it didn't get any of the other plants. So I'm happy.

      Decorative orb! You rocketh very mucho.

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a wonderful resurrection! What wonderful work nature does! With, perhaps a little loving help from your grandmother from the Summerland?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I just saw my grandmother grinning at your comment. Or maybe it's just my own grin, projecting... ;-D

      Delete
  5. You did the right thing by cleaning it off.. Next time u see pests get Bayer Rose and Flower Systemic
    comes in granule form... its a great fertilizer as well. dang, u have a great green thumb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never used anything artificial on my plants. But if things get bad in the future, I would certainly take a look-see.

      Delete
  6. bare rooting it and washing it off seems to have done the trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems sometimes we must treat the root of the problem... literally.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you saved her, she's blooming marvelous!

    I'd never heard of cherimoya before, but if you can manage to make holes without destroying the seeds, I think some jewellery would be perfect. THIS shop has some lovely seed pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She seems to vibrate with green joy. I talk to her for a long while this morning--trying to figure out if she minded a little weed growing in her pot (she seems okay with it). She does look happy.

      I looked into Semillas, what a lovely site! And I searched some other sites like it and I'm all excited now. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. My pots are thawed out and ready, but the envy I have for Gina's and Yours Blooming Beauties! Ileaves my impotent.........now you bring them back from the dead....try and deal with that Prudence!
    As long as Green is flourishing somewhere ..is a good thing! Right Martha?
    xoDebi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've been lusting after Gina's yard, Stacy's yard and pretty much everybody's yards, so we have something in common. You can come here and whisper sweet nothings to my plants any time you want. *wink, wink*

      "Martha," LOL!

      Delete
  9. I think this little plant lady is kin to Red Veiled. Neither would allow you to end them. Hmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, I didn't think of that. You are so right! I seems that my darlings refuse to die. And I'm happy for it. :D

      Delete
  10. Looks like she is doing well! Must have been the extreme pruning that helped ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "extreme pruning" made me laugh. It was extreme, all right!

      Delete
  11. Hurray for the zombie tree. I'm sure you willed it better! My fingers are crossed. As I'm reading backwards I won't say anything about the seeds as I would be of no help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I have this extremely vivid picture of you reading backwards... ;-D

      Delete
  12. Great post ;o) So happy your little one is doing well ;o) Lots of love! You did her a good scrubbing ;o) Maybe the filmy thing was moisture, mold?
    The seeds are beautiful! I would want to look at them all day. Maybe on a picture frame?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might have been some kind of weird mold. I've never seen it before. It looked like some clear, but very thin, snot--I know, pretty. Yuck! But it's gone now...

      A picture frame. Yay!

      Delete