More than Curls and Bones

Since I started traveling into the dreams of some of the characters who live inside my Writer’s head, I’ve seen wonderful things, dreadful things, uncanny things… and I’ve met people whose actions have made me wish for a glimpse of their death under my veil.

Last night, I visited the dream of a character I didn’t particularly like. I went in wanting to see her at her worst. I had never met her, but I resented the fact that my Writer had turned me into a murdered darling in order to write some wild girl’s story.


When I entered the dim room in her dream, AlmaMia Cienfuegos lay on her right side in a small bed, with a yellow sheet covering her from toe to neck. Her body trembled slightly under the thin fabric.

Puny and frail, I thought, all dark curls and shaky bones.

My eyes focused on a spot where the sheet seemed to be sticking to AlmaMia’s skin. I squinted, and saw something oozing through the sheet.

“Crap marring The Veil,” I swore through my teeth, realizing the girl was bleeding.

AlmaMia’s eyes popped open and stared at me. “You aren’t Soledad,” she said in Spanish. In dreams, I could understand and speak all tongues.

“You can see me?” I didn’t know what else to say. Most dreamers couldn’t see me or hear me. And if they did, their dreams would shape me into someone the dreamer had seen in the waking world.

“You’re standing right there,” AlmaMia said. “Of course I can see you. I’ve never been blind. Are you blind? Is that why you’re wearing that red rag over your eyes?”

“No.” I touched my veil. “I’m not blind, I…” My voice trailed off. “AlmaMia?” I said. But she didn’t answer. Her dark eyes were set on something behind me. I followed her gaze and saw Soledad, AlmaMia’s older sister, walking slowly towards the bed. Soledad was looking right through me. I was turning around towards AlmaMia, saying, “She can’t see—” when the child’s wet scream cut my words.

I wanted to scream too, but my vocal cords were made mute by what I was seeing: Soledad was standing in front of AlmaMia with a bizarre grin curving up the corners of her thin lips; and AlmaMia was looking at her sister and bleeding out of her eyes, nose, ears, and out of her scream-widened mouth. 


I was yanked out of the dream. When I opened my eyes, Ebon was watching me with huge worried eyes that didn’t belong on the face of any ordinary dog. One of his large front paws was pressed firmly against my chest. I could hear his tail thumping the floor, a nervous habit he couldn’t always control.  

“You were crying,” he said. “Thought I should wake you. Are you all right, Red?” He licked tears off my face.

“Yeah,” I said, in a voice so thick that I almost choked on the word. “Thanks.”

“You were saying ‘blood’ over and over.” Ebon removed his paw from my chest and lowered his head. “Then you started thrashing. Are you sure everything is all right?”

I shook my head. “She saw me, Ebon. And we spoke.”

“I didn’t know she had crossed The Veil,” he said.

“She hasn’t,” I said. “AlmaMia Cienfuegos is alive.”

“Son of a feral cat,” Ebon growled and bared his teeth.

I nodded slowly, feeling as spooked as Ebon looked angry. I couldn’t get my head around a child who felt at ease talking to a murdered darling, but hemorrhaged and screamed at the sight of her sister. 

posted by Red Veiled

           
Jack Skellington and Zero concept artwork from The Nightmare Before Christmas
via

http://www.magalyguerrero.com/p/almamia-cienfuegos.html
AlmaMia Cienfuegos and Other Stories, available at Amazon

25 comments:

  1. Oooh! Layers. Like an onion (and heck, but those things will make you cry...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Layers make the world interesting. And onion add complexity to a stew... even the tears help.

      Delete
  2. Alma Mia has the ability to profoundly affect beings of every walk of life and death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AlmaMia seems determined to touch the world... even if she has never planned it so. Let's see how it goes.

      Delete
  3. Holy hell in a handbasket. Love the tie-in, bringing Red into AlmaMia's dreams. Can't wait to read more! Soon! *crooked grin*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you mean by "bringing Red into AlmaMia's dreams," lady Fox? Since my Writer killed me, I've been the one bringing myself places.

      So, who's in your dream? *crooked (non-Soledad creepy) grin*

      Delete
    2. Ah, forgive my misapprehension, lovely Red. Let me amend: Can't wait to see what other dreams you find yourself in.

      My dream is a whole other handbasket... most often gently cradled in the pale cold hands of my own Muse. *wink*

      Delete
    3. No, I apologize. It's just that this is a sensitive topic for me. I love my Writer, but the woman killed me, you know?

      "gently cradled in the pale cold hands of [your] own Muse" sound... nice. *swallows*

      Delete
    4. But you look so marvelous dead, Red :)

      Delete
    5. I think she does, too!

      Delete
  4. So, R.V., if you can walk into dreams, can you also affect what goes on in them? &, if you can, can you walk into Soledad's & pop her a few times?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, want to see what Red would do she could affect the environment around Soledad or the girl herself. I wonder, wonder, wonder...

      Delete
    2. Ms. Petoskystone, the idea of entering Soledad's dreams makes me wince a little. Such a strange girl... I might fly by one of these days. Very quickly, but who knows what might drop on her head while I'm around.

      Delete
  5. Artist's mind is never resting... I loved the dream in a dream where Ebon talked to you.. such a caring creature.
    Are you scared of such dreams?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Red Veiled's world, Ebon can speak. But if you are asking me, in most situations, I only get scared of dangerous dreams that seem to have been created from disturbing memories... And yes, sometimes I have those. I think we all do...

      Delete
  6. I am now wondering if Red has a bigger heart than she would let on XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the moment, I'm expecting anything from Red. I think her heart is huge, indeed, and big hearts and enormous memories. I do hope she doesn't hold a grudge... for long. *cough*

      Delete
  7. All I can say is WOW! I can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect you are going to get "more" at least once a week. *wink, wink*

      Delete
  8. Magaly, this was an amazing read! I love Ebon ;o) And, I love all the different things going on! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect Ebon will lead us through many tales. I love him, too. ;-)

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. "Just wow" always works around this parts. ;-)

      Delete
  10. Wow, :o

    I would love to have a canine familiar, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all would! ♥

      Okay, maybe just you and me... and a few others. ;-)

      Delete