Five Years of Pagan Culture

Time is very telling; perhaps because its passing gives us the opportunity to observe, experience, and if we are very lucky, time also offers us the chance to live and learn while having fun wisely.

Last May 1st marked five years of Pagan Culture. I’m not surprised to see the blog continuing forward and strong—I mean, let’s face it, my heart and brain will never run out of things to talk about—still, I often find myself pleasantly startled by how my blogging approach and style have evolved until claiming a shape that serves its motives. And mine, of course.

Take the blog tagline as an example. It morphed from “Everyday life through the eyes of an Eclectic Pagan,” to Everyday life through the eyes of a dark fiction writer.” The first description was the whole truth about the blog in 2009, but the second is all me and the blog at the present time.

I started Pagan Culture because I wanted to show people glimpses into the everyday life of a real witchy person. I was getting annoyed by how some parts of society saw Witches, and by how many fiction writers portrayed what they believed were real witches. You can see young-little-blogger-me testing the waters in “Paganism in Fiction,” a post published in late June 2009.

A bit earlier that same June, I wrote “Dilemmas, Decisions and Bridges,” sharing a quote that explained the very tip of what I’ve always wanted this blog to become: “I want Pagan Culture to be a place where people read about an Eclectic Witch who writes, works, loves, dances, runs…”

Two months later, “Religious Justice, Dreams, Fiction Writing… Help!” shows me going half mad while considering the idea of a wall between storytelling and spirituality. Then came October, the month I took a wee (Nac Mac Feegle) strong hammer to that bloody wall and started “Following My Eclectic Pagan Bliss” and put fiction writing on the backburner in order to save the world using the weapons provided to me by the might of the most scholarly approach and…

…if you have been reading Pagan Culture for more than a few months, you already know that although I’ve been dancing to the witchy drum of my choosing, the tune has changed quite a few times since 2009. And I love that, for stagnation is the scum of the universe.

The blog I started to show others a bit about my witchy life and Paganism in fiction has become “the place where I write about words, and where friends get together to discuss all the wicked fun things that make life worth living… We also devour unsavory topics, social—and sometimes rather personal—issues that can make a soul want to smack stupidity on the back of the head and kick it while it twitches on the ground. But we do it all with a gentle grin on our faces…”

I re-read the above sentences often, my Luvs. They show what Pagan Culture is: living words, delicious friends (if you are a zombie, this doesn’t mean you can eat anyone!), fun bits, not so fun tads, some fun smiting of the stupidity virus, fun while teaching each other how to treat each other better…

Speaking of better and of fun and of healthy Aries-Witchy-Caribbean-Marine-Narcissism, guess what my Piano Man and Little Princess got me for my unbirthday? Okay, guess no more!
I shrieked like a deliriously happy banshee when I saw that we are going to BookCon. I thought my Piano Man would be busy with work and I didn’t want to go by myself—he totally surprised me. Then came Unikitty and Friday Lavender (more on the latter later) and the squealing resumed. And you can probably imagine my grin when my eyeballs landed on my new illustrated copy of Stardust by Neil Gaiman, and Tales from the Crypt Presents a Twisted, Sick, Unauthorized, Goofy Parody! Diary of a Stinky Dead Kid by Papercutz.
And that, my Wicked Luvs, is a glimpse into the unbirthday of a witchy dark fiction writer: books, creepy unicorns, sweets, stardust... and magical happiness because those who love her also get her.

…because…
“Everything Is AWESOME!!!”
Happy 5 Year Blogoversary, my Wicked Luvs!
Let’s continue growing something together ;-)

38 comments:

  1. Wow!Just read about BookCon, so delicious! May be you can say Hi to my sis after the event who is in Manhattan too... :)
    No, seriously, your little family knows what you like, so sweet of them to organize it for you :) Those books look yumm too!
    And hey, Bailey's is also yumm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is delicious, indeed! I haven't touched the Bailey's yet, can you believe it? But it won't be long. ;-)

      Is your sister visiting?

      Delete
    2. Happy Blogoversary! ( how I didn't even write this in the previous comment?!)
      No, I cannot Magaly! My Mom once kept a bottle for me when me and D were visiting them for New Year :) Mom knows what her child needs. Hehe.
      I don't know I shall ask her :) You know we are so close relatives that hardly know what is' going on each others' lives! I suppose she has to start a blog too...

      Delete
  2. Well, Bloggy Twin, congratulations on your 5th anniversary! I stumbled over your blog in my early days and was fascinated and then I lost you. :( I think you reappeared on my radar as a fellow guest at some blog party, while we sipped champagne cocktails and nibbles langoustines. (At least, that's what happens in my head at a blog party). It's always good here, fascinating and worthwhile and controversial and welcoming. Like a scary Aunt who gives you candy. Ohhh to going to BookCon. Ooooh to the illustrated Stardust (you lucky, lucky lucky... I should make a doll based on Vess's image of Yvaine) and ooooh to Unbirthdays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought everybody walked around blog parties drinking sparklies in cute glasses and stuff, don't they? By the end of the party I'm usually sipping from the bottle.

      Delete
  3. Happy anniversary!

    (Your thingy is still not in the mail. I retrieved it from the Kitty, but... life is busy, and I am lazy. You know how that goes.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally sympathize. I just packed a bunch of stuff I had to mailed some time back. I'm blaming it all on my tooth.

      Delete
  4. Oh! So many gorgeous treats and surprises, and Bookcon - brilliant!

    Today is the four year anniversary of my Etsy Shop,
    so there'll be a little celebration via my blog soon.

    Have a lovely day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Blogoversary by the way :)

      Delete
    2. Yay, for your upcoming anniversary! I might have to buy myself certain flowery purse I've been eying, to celebrate... ;-D

      Delete
  5. And nothing and no one is more uniquely awesomer than you :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all extremely uniquely awesomest in our own way. It's just that my way it's so much yummier and more modest. ;-D

      Delete
  6. I always love your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always extremely wonderful to have those we love know us so well that they know exactly what makes us tick. Loving on Stardust(so Jealous).

    I have a handful of online Witchy women who inspired me in the early days, and I am very happy and lucky to have become friends with a few of them as well; I'm even luckier that one of them is you and that in my recent past you were there for me when I need you. I am better for knowing/reading you Magaly.

    Happy Blogoversary!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm all giggles and smiles. ;-D

      Delete
  8. Happy Blogoversary! And BookCon! OH MY! Enjoy your celebration and make happy memories. Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall enjoy and probably blabber about it afterwards! ♥

      Delete
  9. Now that you have jolted my stuffy memory, BookCon, and the little Edward Scissorfingers is when I found You? Oh fiddle de daw! Happy blog overspray , many more! Party On! xoxoDebi
    Laughing out loud with Epiphany.." stagnation is the scum of the Universe"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true! It was with a picture of the cutest of all Edwards while I was at NY Comic Con!

      Laughing is yummy for the soul. ;-D

      Delete
  10. Happy 5th Blogoversary, Magaly -- many, many, MANY more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Debra. And happy new beginnings to you!

      Delete
  11. Awesome gifties! :) Yea for a sugar rush...book...con....book....con!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you heard my singing after I saw the receipt for the tickets "BookCon! Book Con!"

      Delete
  12. Happy wording the blogosphere my dear for 5 years. Congrats. And yes you have changed and grown. What a delight you are. You deserve all the wonderfulness that you received for the "unbirthday" and more. xoxo Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've grown because I'm full with bits of you and a few other extremely special witchy soul. I'm a lucky Witch!

      Delete
  13. Wonderful to feel so loved and understood on your unbirthday. Have a great year, Magaly!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! It is wonderful, indeed. ;-D

      Delete
  14. Happy Blogversary, indeed! Whether in a whispered hint, a crossed-out innuendo, or an outright roar, your words resonate, defend, titillate, energize, inspire, console, admonish, teach . . . I could go on, but you get the picture, which, itself, is worth a thousand words.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "...crossed-out innuendo" are the best! You are loved right back, my Lori. ♥

      Delete
  15. Happy blogoversary,Magaly! And - well - your birthday sounds like it was just the right kind of a day. So glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a perfect birthday. I'm still grinning about it. Thank you for the good wishes. Now I hope it stays like that for a while...

      Delete
  16. Happy 5 years Magaly! Many more my friend ;o) I have never heard of UniKitty. She is cute! I love that there is no negativity! Great video ;o) Big hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unikitty is a character from The LEGO Movie. She is fantastically funny, and if you watch the clip all the way to the end (or the movie) you'll see what happens to negativity that is not acknowledged. It's funny... but not pretty, lol!

      Delete
  17. Happy 5 years of blogging and belated birthday too! Your gifts look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, gracias! And I got more yummy gifts right after *wink, wink*. Thank you for that, too!

      Delete
  18. Happy blogoversary sweet witch and joyous unbirthday. I agree, stagnation is the scum of the universe, but you seem to be in no danger of the stagnation monster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall take the stagnation monster and dress him in chameleons. Let's see how he likes it, the bastard. ;-D

      Delete