Camp Cute, Creepy and (Quite Conveniently) Remote

Her conscious mind is unsafe for my kind. She’s continuously plotting, editing, letting ideas fight each other to the death for the right to be developed; any darling can be easily murdered if entering my Writer’s head while she’s awake. I only visit her dreams.

Her current dream was very vivid. She lay on the thin mattress of a bed made of plastic, glass and metal. The headboard was an enormous dome-like tunnel, which arched around my Writer’s upper body and hips. There were cables coming out of the tunnel. I bent over for a better look inside. My Writer’s arms were crossed over her stomach. Her eyes were closed. And the cables, which dangled from one side of the bed, were attached to earmuffs that made my Writer look like a curly-haired metallic version of Princess Leia with a tan.

This is different, I thought. What’s all that banging noise?

I let go of the physical form that allowed me to see my Writer in the waking world, and jumped into her dream.


I landed on a large field were typed words flew through the air. The disembodied voice of a man said something about diabetes and owls. Random faces, one with red buttons for eyes, flashed in and out of existence. At the center of it all, fast asleep in a frilly coffin, lay a vampire.

She was cuddling a little doll that seemed ragged from centuries of daytime sleeping. The doll’s eyes were staring at me as if keeping watch over her mistress. There was also a humanoid skull in the coffin; probably from the previous occupant.

The dream was too odd. Not in content, my Writer dreams of beautiful things, which other people might consider nightmares. It was the setting that made the dream uncanny. It looked unfinished.

“Maybe she’s dreaming of a new story,” I said in a low voice.

The words annoyed me. She murdered me because she wanted to spend more time working on AlmaMia Cienfuegos and Thorn in Red novels. How can she be creating a new character right in front of me? What does this vampire have that I don’t?

“What makes you so special?” I said, my fingers hovering over the vampire’s cotton candy hair. “Why would my—” I choked on the rest of the question. For when my fingertips touched the vampire, I was sucked by cold and brightness.


I popped into being in a lightless, musty shack, in the middle of a circle of grinning girls.

“Call me stupid and strangle me with my own veil,” I said before I could stop the words. My Writer had been awake. I had just gotten myself trapped in the dream of a vampire I knew nothing about. And it seemed that a small bunch of the bloodsucker’s little minions were now eying me with expectant hungry looks in their sweet faces.

One of them slid a few inches closer to me, and smiled showing tiny fangs. “I am Drusilla,” she said. “I have no arms for squeezing, but I like making people happy. I can find a way to strangle you with your veil, if that would make you smile.”

“Or I can have some of my friends eat your nose and your throat,” said a blonde teenage girl who had worms, snails, spiders and butterflies crawling around her face and neck. “Then you could be friends with Roseblood’s dolly. It would be no trouble at all.”

“Clare’s right,” Roseblood said, snuggling her skeletal doll and smiling at me. “The night we got to camp, Mistress Claudia told us that the spreading of glee and gloom is the main mission of every girl who steps, slithers or is banished into Camp Cute, Creepy and (Quite Conveniently) Remote.”

I said nothing. Just smiled, trying not to spook the mad little monsters. After all, I had to stay at their camp until the vampire left her coffin and showed me a way out.  
  
posted by Red Veiled

there will be more
Camp Cute, Creepy and (Quite Conveniently) Remote
a lot more; next week

Claudia the Sleeping Vampire, by Rhissanna
(I borrowed the descriptions of Clausia, her doll and skull from the artist)
 
Drusilla, by Little Gothic Horrors (left)
Creepy Crawly Clare, by Paint Myself Pretty (middle)
Gothic Girl with Doll (aka Roseblood), by SunshineShelle(right)

http://new.inlinkz.com/luwpview.php?id=394125
click on the grinning frog to hop to the May Monsters Madness stronghold

42 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost kept on going, but I figured manageable chunks would be best. I'm nearly dying to see what those three sweeties (and their Mistress) get up to.

      Delete
  2. Cute little monster girls...Loved your camp story :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they gorgeous? I can't look at them without grinning, especially Drusilla; there is just something about those cute wee fangs. ;-)

      Delete
    2. She is cute :) Come on, she even has a cute bow in her hair!

      Delete
  3. “I have no arms for squeezing, but I like making people happy. I can find a way to strangle you with your veil, if that would make you smile.”

    Haha. That's my girl!!!

    ❤ ❤ ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's always trying to make the world better... even it is kills it!

      Delete
  4. "I can have some of my friends eat your nose and throat" ...... can't wait to find out what happens when the vampire wakes up.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very curious about the Mistress of the camp, too. I wonder what she'll do when she finds the visitor...

      Delete
  5. I love this, and can't wait for more :)

    Such gorgeous dolls and artwork too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The girls have been saying the same thing. They can't wait to see what happens next. I mean, you get a little impatient when you want to make someone happy to death...

      And yes, their work is wonderful... I'm always inspired by their shapes and colors.

      Delete
  6. Oooo, I like this - syfy and vampires, yes please!
    And a nod to Buffy/Whedon. Cudos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect Drusilla is very happy right now. You know how she likes to make people smile and such. ;-D

      Delete
  7. Great!!! Looking forward to the next peek ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love May Monster Madness for leading me towards blogs I had no idea existed! A blog of a fellow writer, too ;) It's a lovely little story and will be looking out for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As do I. MMM brings all kinds of awesome people together!

      Glad you liked this short bit. I enjoyed writing it.; -)

      Delete
  9. Seriously, I can relate to this. lol! Nice post and fluid writing. Good luck in your endeavors, chickie.... and keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet there are massacres of ideas happening in your head all the time. And I don't mean just the ones who come out as stories... So many slaughtered darlings out there...

      Write on!

      Delete
  10. I hope you are not going to leave Red veil there, Drusilla could very easily like someone to death. :) Besides after after ODW I think she's owed something.....Can't wait to see what happens next.

    I've silently gate crashed Monster Mayhem as I missed sign up, love it if you could pay a visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red Veiled needs something awesome and relaxing to happen to her. All this going into the dreams of people who keep on almost getting her dead, um, again, can't be healthy or amusing. She's owed something, indeed especially after ODW

      Yay! Off to read your post. ;-D

      Delete
  11. Hah! This one time, at Cute and Creepy Camp... Oh my gosh, yes! Red Veiled should be more cautious (although now I want to read the adventures of the metallic space princess...) about where she ventures. Maybe she needs some poppies to make sure the Writer is asleep, before wandering abroad? I am deeply honoured that you'd include sleeping Claudia (and her sharply alert Marie doll) in this wonderful post. And WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?? (Yes, I'm shouting)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. Red Veiled should stop going places without her best friend. She she already know that life is way safer (and more fun) in the company of a naked shape shifter.

      And yelling is quite encouraged around here. I suspect your question will be answered this coming Wednesday. ;-D

      Delete
  12. What a great POV for a story! It's so unique and well done. I love the doll too. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope all this doesn't go to Red Veiled's head. *wink*

      Delete
  13. Wonderful story. Enjoyed reading. Will be back to visit again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. See you soon. ;-)

      Delete
  14. I really like the POV from your story. Very wicKED!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wicKED is a word of honor around this parts, so, yay!

      Delete
  15. Oh what a brilliantly creepy vision you have spun into a terrific (get out the marshmallows and save me a spot near the fire) creatively camp-o-licious tale... Thank you for recruiting Roseblood, I think she looks very comfortable with her cute and creepy besties, ahh, they grow up so fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roseblood was a perfect lady. And all she wants is a little blood; sometimes, skin and tissue, too, but mostly blood. ;-D

      Delete
  16. Excellent story! I can't wait for more ;o)
    Those little monster girls are so cute ;o)
    Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are cute and totally willing to make people happy. ;-)

      Delete
  17. Oow...missed this post!....(conveniently remote) lol :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That bit made me giggle, too. ;-D

      Delete
  18. I like like name 'Roseblood' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roseblood is a name that holds so many promises...

      Delete
  19. Words aren't enough :D to describe just how fantastic this is!!❤️ Sigh..

    ReplyDelete