White Is for Witching and Bloom Is for Spring

I’m nothing but smiles… and wicked grins… fine, so a few cackles have also shimmied their way into the blissful mixt, but in the end I’m mostly smiles and wicked grins.

Before you become a hairball in curiosity’s gullet, let me show you these beauties:

They are an early birthday present from BookGirl—thanks so much, my lady. You’ve made a witchy woman happy, happy, happy! (It’s extra-super-special when said thrice).

I don’t know much about the stone (must investigate!), but BookGirl told me that it is “a nitches Witches Stone from [her] local beach.” (the short investigation has offered evidence which suggests that I cant read, lol!). It’s the color of bone with a hole in the center. Yes, I already adore it. Then there is a first edition of White Is for Witching. The title left my eyes wide and my brain wanting, and the description of the tale left my heart doing eager reader happy dances:

“Miranda is at home—homesick, home sick ...”

As a child, Miranda Silver developed pica, a rare eating disorder that causes its victims to consume nonedible substances. The death of her mother when Miranda is sixteen exacerbates her condition; nothing, however, satisfies a strange hunger passed down through the women in her family. And then there’s the family house in Dover, England, converted to a bed-and-breakfast by Miranda’s father. Dover has long been known for its hostility toward outsiders. But the Silver House manifests a more conscious malice toward strangers, dispatching those visitors it despises. Enraged by the constant stream of foreign staff and guests, the house finally unleashes its most destructive power.

With distinct originality and grace, and an extraordinary gift for making the fantastic believable, Helen Oyeyemi spins the politics of family and nation into a riveting and unforgettable mystery.

Our dear Miss Pepper didn’t want to feel left out, so she, too, gave me an early birthday present. Isn’t this the most precious bloom? She looks very proud of it.

And my Piano Man showed me that Nature’s wild children refuse to be outshown by their potted counterparts. It’s not quite a jungle out there—yet!—but look at these enthusiastic babies, rising out of Old Man Winter’s grip to be admired by passersby.
Yep, I’m grinning like a lunatic wild Witch drunk on waxing Moon and crescent Spring! What are you up to, my Wicked Luvs? Whats blooming around your bit of the universe?

29 comments:

  1. Oooo, I've never heard of *nitches stone* but we have similar stones like in the picture on the beaches here in NC. And your pepper plant ... Oo la la!! We have some forsythia, and azaleas coming out and the dogwood trees are blooming too. Happy early birthday!! Hope it's a grwat one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I must lurk around your blog to see if I find pics of those lovely blooms!

      And go ahead, laugh at my reading skills--it was a Witches Stone, and I, um... misread, lol!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely surprise! I want to know more ( as usual) about this dealious book and Stone!!
    Magaly, Magaly, Magaly, how does your garden grow? ( hocus Pocus of course! )
    xoDebi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "hocus pocus" with lots of focus, m'luv!

      Delete
  3. Magaly -you need to read your email I just sent you regarding the stone, then feel free to copy and paste it here!!!!! lol!!!

    Glad, glad, glad you are happy, happy, happy!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok.....I can't wait for you to read the email.....it's the obsessive compulsive side of my nature..... for everyone else reading this post, it's not a nitches stone - it's a Witches Stone!!!!!!! I have sent full and embarrassed apologies to my dear Magaly, who will share more about it's true name and nature when she has read said email I'm sure !!!!

      Delete
    2. Hahaha! Now we'll always have a story for this lovely Witches Stone. I collect them! How cool is that? I was even telling me Piano Man, "Loot and holey stone (Witches Stone) that is actually called something else." I was all giggly thinking it was something different. Now I'm delighted because I got a book, a stone and a story!!!!

      Delete
  4. Well lookee what goodies with which you have been gifted. Love it all. Happy almost birthday............Oma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy almost birthday to you, too!

      Delete
  5. What wonderful gifts. That book looks interesting. I adore the title! And the cover art!

    Such a sweet, wee flower on your potted plant! It's autumn here, so no blooming, although the heat has been hanging on for all its worth this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite taken by the title, too! I can't wait to start traveling into the story... maybe I'll read it to the pepper plant. ;-D

      Delete
  6. We call the stone the Stone of the Goddess.

    What lovely gifts! Happy almost birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds (and looks!) like your birthday will indeed be Magalycious this year. ;) As for the stone, it looks like an agate or a jasper worn into a natural Hag Stone (my heritage's name for it). But that's just the rock nerd in me refusing to take a backseat to the coolness of the rest of it. And I can't see the stone very well in the photo. Lol.

    Happy Early Birthday, Magaly! May it be filled with love, light, and brilliant surprises to make a Witchy Writer grin. A lot.
    -your Artful White Fox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that this Holey Stone (my heritage's name for it *hehehe*) needs her own post. I love when a gift keeps on giving. ;-D

      Delete
  8. I love your goodies! So much fun! "White Is For Witching" looks really cool! Happy Early Birthday ;o) Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a delicious book. I said I was going to wait a bit to read it, but I might have cheated a little... *cough*

      Delete
  9. Possibly the best gift you can get Magaly! Happy for you and it is so nic eof your friend to think of your birthday and do this present.
    The little white flower is cute and soon yu wil get some more of them! Spring is sprining everywhere! Here the trees are in bloom: purple, red, pink, white! My garden is a little abandoned this year, but I have some green onions and fennela nd aloe vera there! Also the curry tree is blossoming to and spreading its sweet fragrance, especially in the night! I shall post the pics soon.
    Have a wonderful day! Sending blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can never go wrong with a book and a stone in this house. I'm still grinning like a loon!

      I think, my darling, that your soil garden needs to give you a break. You are growing the most important flower EVER!

      Delete
    2. First of all... sorry, I noticed how many typos I did in my comment!
      Second. books and stones make one happy. I always have them on my "coffee" table :)
      Third... oh yea, the flower is blooming and getting stronger day by day :) It will be then a tiny pepper :) hehe

      Delete
    3. Is the little flower starting to kick your ribs? Fewer than three months to go. India, get ready!

      Delete
  10. Oh, what a fabulous gift! The book sounds wonderful and dear me, yes, you need an adder stone. (witch's stone, snake egg, hag stone; the names vary). I keep mine on my keyring. I'd say where I got it but there's huge signs, in three languages, threatening arrest for people who take them. The pepper tree put up a very sweet little flower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we need to have a Stone Blog Party, ha!

      Delete
  11. *wink* The whole world is celebrating Magaly's getting Stoned for her birthday ! !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I got hammered for the Winter Solstice, it was only fitting to get Stoned for my birthday. :D

      Delete
  12. What a lovely package you've received.
    I'm intrigued by that book.

    *Laughing at Eliora's comment*

    Have a lovely day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Eliora just got coffee all over my keyboard, LOL!

      Delete
  13. Just popped in to wish you a great birthday, dear Magaly!
    I hope it 's full of love and mischief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One more day (okay a few hours) being 36! Then, pure 37 wickedness after that. Mischief sounds like a good plan. ;-D

      Delete