Two Boys Kissing

I didn’t know what I was expecting from Two Boys Kissing. Teenage romance, love met by all kinds of obstacles, young lives trying to survive society’s demands, perhaps a little pain. I got that… and so much more. David Levithan’s novel grabbed me by the heart and mind, filled me with wonderful emotions and terrible realizations. Then this writer shook, shook, shook everything until the experience was almost too much for my witchy soul.

And when I was nearing the final chapters, when I thought I couldn’t take one more scene of such realistic fiction, the story let me breathe again… The narrators—and, my Wicked Luvs, the narrators of Two Boys Kissingare a story in themselves—told me that I couldn’t (shouldn’t!) let myself explode into tiny useless pieces. It just wasn’t going to happen… too many others gave everything they had (everything they were) just so I could be here, being free being me. And I, too, would be responsible for helping to build a foundation for those who will come after me. 

Two Boys Kissing will speak to the hearts of those who have lived (and sometimes just existed)on the fringes of society. And it will sing to the soul of those of us who already decided (or want) to step into the middle of the dance floor to celebrate life while listening to the music of our choosing… even if our actions (our living) is not so well received by others.

David Levithan wrote a novel that reminds the reader to never forget yesterday, to appreciate today, and to hope live for a much better tomorrow. Here is my favorite quote:

“There is something… about all the things that dancing can unlock… When it works, that freedom doesn’t stop when the last song is played. You take it with you. You use it for bigger things.

You notice when it’s taken away.”
and see what other bloggers are adding to their LGBT Month reading, this week.

18 comments:

  1. This is on my *want to read* list ...thanks for the review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Do let me know how you like it. It left me all full of good things. The last bit and the author's note are priceless, both for readers and for writers.

      Delete
  2. I've added it to my "too hot to be outside" summer reading list. Great thanks, my darling girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "too hot to be outside" reading. That's awesome!

      Delete
  3. Very excited to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sold me! On the LIST! Thank you Miss smarty Pants! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WoooHooo! Reading with a partner is extra delicious. ;-D

      Delete
  5. And that is why I went out dancing at clubs... not for the guys (or girls! lol) but for the music and the dancing, so I could lose my way in a crowded trance for just enough hours to find myself again. Dammit, Magaly, now I have to add ANOTHER book to my reading list! At this rate, I'll have to live forever just to get through them all.

    ...I don't know what I'm bitching about. That is no bad fate. :D
    -your Artful White Fox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dancing does wicked good things to the soul. And when a lot of people do it together, the amount of energy raised by the act is palpable. Dance on!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for posting this great review, I'm definitely keen to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! If you do pick it up, I hope you truly enjoy it. ;-)

      Delete
  7. Aww, Two Boys Kissing sounds wonderful. I really can't wait to get to it.

    Btw, don't forget to enter the links of your LGBT posts to the rafflecopter so you can win! (you can enter once a day)
    http://nijiclovers.blogspot.com/2014/04/lgbt-month-kick-offgiveaway-2014-ya.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very special treat with words in it.

      Delete
  8. Sounds excellent! I love the quote ;o) Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an excellent book. If you get to read it, I bet you'll like the author's note...

      Delete
  9. It is so intense sometimes, but the lyrical prose and premise make up for that for me! Thanks so much for the review...

    Trix, vitajex(at)Aol(Dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Intense" is a great word to describe Two Boys Kissing. I found myself feeling extra sad and elated and upset and so many other things as I read.

      Delete