Touched through Blood and Dust

I set the trap knowing that some of them could sense us. Even see our essence, in the form of dust, under specific lighting. But no one ever told me about the things she could do…


“Hello?” she called out from the threshold. “I’m here about the ad on Craigslist.” Slowly, she walked through the living room and into the kitchen. She stopped in front of the window.

Moving only her hand and arm, she pulled a cell phone out of her jeans back pocket and read aloud from a bluish screen. “Roommate wanted. Female. Twenty-one to twenty-eight. I’m twenty-five, female, five-eleven. Employed. No parties. No smoking. No overnight visitors. Showings from nine to five. Walk in. Door is open.” She shook her head, put the phone back in her pocket and continued staring at the window. 

I did nothing. Just watched her, thinking, She’s so lovely. Such perfect black eyes—

“You know,” she cocked her head towards the sunrays that leaked through the glass. “When I first saw this ad, I thought it was the job of a well-meaning and well-misguided vigilante taunting a mad killer. Time with the words convinced me that the beast behind the carnage was just overconfident; desperate. But you know what never crossed my mind? That this kind of butchery could have been the work of a female.”

I was so enthralled by the sound of her voice, by the way her hair fell around her neck, by those perfect eyes that I didn’t sense the energy shift until it was too late.

“Stupid,” she said, reaching through light and dust and grabbing hold of my essence.

The spell was subtle and unbalancing. I tried to focus, to drift away from her. But her hand was squeezing my center. My heart was beating against her open palm. Solidification was going to hurt, but I had to warn her. My chest spread around her wrist. The pain gave force to my scream. “Behind you!”

With her left hand still inside my chest, she turned towards the front door and fired a small gun at the fanged woman who was rushing into the kitchen.

The bullets made small crimson dots between the woman’s eyes. My hammer was slower to get to her forehead, but it got to it in time to turn the small dots into a hole big enough for death to enter and stay.  

Before the blood loss and energy drain claimed my consciousness, I felt the hand of the black-eyed witch pressed against my left breast. Her magic mended flesh and bone with hot power that made my entire body want to melt under her touch. 

 
photo by Kelsey Hannah

32 comments:

  1. You wicked wicked, thing, drawing me in like that, this reads like the start of an awesome book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite partial to the start of "awesome." ;-D

      Delete
  2. I didn't even know a new one was up! This is great, Magaly. Visual and Scrumptious. Bloody, too, which you know I approve of. Nicely written

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've had Oliver in my mind, so the inspiration for this particular bit of scrumptious bloodiness might have come from you. ;-D

      Delete
  3. It's kind of cool for me, that I can't really tell who is a villain or a hero, or if there is a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that thought. Very much...

      Delete
  4. Oh, lovely! That's a lot of blood, death and hammers to get out of a pretty picture. Very entertaining and I love how you always see the darkness in the light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only the hottest (and creepiest) of us will always find the dark bit in the blinding, scourging, skin cancer giving *cough* light. Ha! I just made myself giggle.

      Delete
  5. Yum. *daydreams a bit and then remembers why I'm here* Oh, ah, right. Entrancing! *grins* Delightfully woven in only a (relatively) few words. This is causing the Muse to rant at me that we must practice with vignettes more.

    -your (slightly drooling) Artful White Fox. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might send a letter to your Muse, telling her that I have a contract with my Muse. She told me I have to write and share a bit of fiction or poetry or creative nonfiction every week. If I don't she gets to annoy me until one of us gives in. It works.

      Delete
  6. Wow, freaky imagination.
    thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "freaky imagination" the Muse approves... and grins freakishly. ;-D

      Delete
  7. And now you owe her ! Well done Magaly
    "big enough for death to enter amd stay"
    Good old Thanatos , combined with alot of Eros
    Cheers mate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanatos and Eros sitting on a tree,
      K I L L I N G baddies
      and sharing a kiss! ♪ ♫ ♪

      Delete
  8. That is a tantalizing bit with a fair amount of potential!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "potential" is one of my Muse's favorite words. She loves particularly loves to use the adverbial form of the word, as in, "potentially murderous, potentially bloody, potentially painful to others..." and such. ;-D

      Delete
  9. EEHhhhehhehheh :) :) I wants some black eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black eyes seem to be the thing of the day. ;-D

      Delete
  10. I really liked this one, but I wasn't clear on who lived and who died..?

    For LGBT lit month I have ordered a recent Swedish fantasy trilogy from the library and will hopefully get it soon.

    I started reading AlmaMia the other night after a few glasses of Cuba Libre. I thought it would be fitting but it just didn't work at all... Drinking and reading has never worked for me :) So I'm starting over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a second (and most likely third) bit to this story. Things shall be clear then. Right now, I suspect that no one is quite sure who is going to make it out of this...

      I can't wait to read the Swedish fantasy trilogy (sounds kinky, lol!).

      AlmaMia's tale might not be the best story to combine with alcohol. You might start slapping random people...

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure how to feel about the fact that adding my nationality to something automatically makes it sound kinky... :)

      Delete
    3. It could sound soothing, too, like in Swedish massage. :-D

      Delete
  11. You certainly captured the flavour of the age old struggle between the dark and the light. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting thought, Ms. Jinksy.

      Delete
  12. This looks very intriguing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad... let's see if they give us a bit more. ;-)

      Delete
  13. Very, very, very good!!!! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, gracias, very, very, very much!!!! ;-D

      Delete
  14. At this point, I am locked within the back story, and I'm not yet sure who I want to see survive! Enticing in so many walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, your comment has made my Muse ridiculously happy!

      Delete
  15. As soon as I read Craig's List I shivered!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many things are creepy, creepy, scary about that site...

      Delete