Make More than Dust

I rarely do the double posting bit… But I understand that not everyone who reads Pagan Culture happens to follow Magaly Guerrero’s Dark Fiction. And I wanted to make sure that the following words would reach as many Wicked Luvs as possible. If you’ve read the novel or happen to grab it after this, I would love to know what you think of it:


I didn’t know what I was expecting from Two Boys Kissing. Teenage romance, love met by all kinds of obstacles, young lives trying to survive society’s demands, perhaps a little pain. I got that… and so much more. David Levithan’s novel grabbed me by the heart and mind, filled me with wonderful emotions and terrible realizations. Then this writer shook, shook, shook everything until the experience was almost too much for my witchy soul.

And when I was nearing the final chapters, when I thought I couldn’t take one more scene of such realistic fiction, the story let me breathe again… The narrators—and, my Wicked Luvs, the narrators of Two Boys Kissing are a story in themselves—told me that I couldn’t (shouldn’t!) let myself explode into tiny useless pieces. It just wasn’t going to happen… too many others gave everything they had (everything they were) just so I could be here, being free being me. And I, too, would be responsible for helping to build a foundation for those who will come after me.

Two Boys Kissing will speak to the hearts of those who have lived (and sometimes just existed) on the fringes of society. And it will sing to the soul of those of us who already decided (or want) to step into the middle of the dance floor to celebrate life while listening to the music of our choosing… even if our actions (our living) is not so well received by others.

David Levithan wrote a novel that reminds the reader to never forget yesterday, to appreciate today, and to hope live for a much better tomorrow. Here are two of my favorite quotes:

“There is something… about all the things that dancing can unlock… When it works, that freedom doesn’t stop when the last song is played. You take it with you. You use it for bigger things.

You notice when it’s taken away.”

* Previously published at my Writing Site

6 comments:

  1. Oh I feel the quote! I totally agree with that statement. This novel has been getting Rave reviews and excitement spreading this planet! But NO! my book list and kindle waiting to be read stock have firmly told me NOT TO BE TEMPTed by Magaly, until I catch Up! So the voices in my head win again! but your excitement is a wonderful and true praise!!! xoDebi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can't read them all, Prudence love... at least not right away. But I know we'll try. ;-D

      Delete
  2. I'll put it on my "to read" list! Of course, that list is 10 miles long so it may be a while til it works its way to the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. I keep on adding to the neverending list... and hoping I live for 313 years or so.

      Delete
  3. And I have a new book to download. Thank you, Magaly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an intense read. Intense, intense...

      Delete