Stories of Love over the Camouflaged Rainbow

A few years ago, I wrote a story about two people discovering their love for each other. I’m pretty sure that it is the only bit of contemporary romance I’ve ever written. I played with the story for a long time because something felt… not quite right. I couldn’t feel any real chemistry between my protagonists.

I reread and rewrote the story, played with a few things: point of view, setting, roles… nothing seemed to work. Then I changed the gender of one of my protagonists. I let the story sit for a while. I revisited the tale not too long ago, and was happy because I finally saw the love.

I plan to split the story in 3 very short sections, and share them as part of my contribution to the LGBT Month April reading event, hosted by Fighting Dreamer and Laura Plus Books. I will also read and review at least three books. You, too, can join the fun; all you need “to do is post one thing about LGBT or read one LGBT book.”

A couple of friends, who joined the event (Debi and Kestril *cough*), asked for suggestions. These are some titles I’ve read and liked and a few I plan to read:
1. Annie on My Mindby Nancy Garden
2.Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz *
3. Kissing the Witch: Old Tales in New Skins by Emma Donoghue
4. Landing by Emma Donoghue
5.Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides *
6. Oranges Are Not the Only Fruitby Jeanette Winterson
7. Rainbow Boys by Alex Sanchez
8. Rainbow High by Alex Sanchez
9. Rainbow Road by Alex Sanchez
10. Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown
11.The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller *
12.Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan *
13. The Well of Lonelinessby Radclyffe Hall
* Books I’ve yet to read

I have added some recommendations...
Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx
Sexing the Cherry by Jeanette Winterson
Weightby Jeanette Winterson 
Written on the Body by Jeanette Winterson

15 comments:

  1. I used to live in Middlesex, and it's not as exotic as it sounds. Jeanette Winterson is much more entertaining than a suburb of London and she's absolutely right about the oranges. There's peaches, too. (Does that sound smutty?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had lived in Middlesex. Just so that I could tell complete strangers, "I lived in Middlesex, you?" For these same reasons, I would love to be Granny Weatherwax's neighbor. Can you imagine telling people, "Oh yes, I live in Bad Ass, Lancre"? Too cool.

      And not, there is nothing smutty about oranges, or peaches, or cream...

      Delete
    2. You could live in Bald Knob, Arkansas. Apparently, people do.

      Delete
    3. Oranges, peaches, cream! LOL! You're making me blush! LOL!

      Delete
    4. Yep. Mhm. Totally blushing, too. Nah!

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a great challenge.
    I did an essay on Jeanette Winterson's books once long ago, when I was at Uni taking English and Gender Studies. Oranges are not the only fruit, Written on the Body (super interesting narrative voice btw), Powerbook, Sexing the Cherry. They all have queer themes and they are all great.
    I haven't read anything recent of her's, but I've been looking for an excuse. Maybe this is it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just added Written on the Body, Weight and Sexing the Cherry (what an awesome title!) to my list. I quite love this kind of manipulation. ;-D

    And yes, I believe this is the best excuse, ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huge help and excellent influence to keep life sparkleING ! Thank,you once again! I hate getting stale!
    See you there! xoDebi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting stale reads like if might not smell good. So thank goodness!

      Delete
  5. Sexing the cherry??? Mmm what can I say LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great to see you highlighting these books. Two of my CPs write GLBT, and I love it when someone supports that niche. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm... I was just thinking that I've never thought about LGBTQ books as a niche. More like an umbrella genre...

      Delete