Spring, Dead Things, and a Gleeful Muse in The Waste Land

She has spent the last two weeks conjuring flashes of eerie tales set in springtide. Every story comes with pretty flowers, sunshine, laughter… and dead things. The stories are daunting, but the tone of her thinking shows her skipping around the plot, humming happily, crunching bone and giggling at flighty ghosts. She is sort of loony—we both know this and are okay with it—but this behavior is way beyond much, even for her.

When her nuttiness shrieked too loud for my mind’s comfort, I tried to figure out why all the dead things kept on popping up, and why she seems to be so immensely gleeful about it. The answer came to me after I replied to a friend’s Tweet: “This wet dirt trembles, shifts and sighs little screams as it births its way towards spring,” I said.

The words took me (and the Muse) to “The Waste Land”:

April is the cruellest month, breeding 
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing     
Memory and desire, stirring…
          
That corpse you planted last year in your garden,      
Has it begun to sprout? Will it bloom this year?         
Or has the sudden frost disturbed its bed?      

The Muse seems to have stayed longer than I did with T.S. Eliot. Now she’s back… only interested in writing about dead things stirring and breeding… about corpses sprouting out of the dirt… about dancing around in blissful bone bouquets.

She’s weird like that, my Muse. And I’m glad. For her creative lunacy seems to shine on everything it touches… and that hot, silvery, glow leaves us clad in our kind of normal.

Creepy Springby Placker
via

16 comments:

  1. I love getting muddy and watching new life sprout from the soil this time of year...I think Spring is my favourite season :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just waiting for the dirt to defrost... after that, I shall jump and dance around in the delicious mud! ;-D

      Delete
  2. " corpses sprouting out of the dirt" love that! Change dirt to winter and I'll pose for the photo!
    No breeding Miss April! you have novels to pen! xoxoDebi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm penning! I'm penning! *looks extremely anxious about the fact that she has been penning too many things at once*

      Delete
  3. Well, it is Spring. Dead things are resuscitated. A particular favorite are Rembrandt tulips. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed. I hope the plants I left in containers outside get the memo. I do love Rembrandt tulips, too!

      Delete
  4. You had me at Dead Things. "corpses" and "dead land" my, my, my. I need to get my bow and katana stuff. I love killing zombies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I need to rephrase something I wrote a bit ago. It's not "Happy Pat with an Ax" I need to write, but "Bow, Katana, Zombies and Stuff"

      Delete
  5. Love me some T S Eliot. The first poet to show me words weren't just about the story, they were about the magic! That bright low-level sunlight pokes around the dusty folds of our brain. Some people spring clean, but that's not my fever of choice. I make things, write things. I can't wait to see what you've done with all this vernal inspiration. And, to quote the man, "if you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over your head? Then swim a little deeper and see what happens! That's my motto. Actually, I just made that up, but it should certainly be someone's motto.

      Delete
  6. Doing my happy dance ;o) Your muse is back ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And she's feeling extra freaking wicked! ;-D

      Delete
  7. Ahh what normal lunacy... you & muse, swimming together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspected that. Then I was convinced when I saw a few girls and their dollies. ;-D

      Delete
  8. I loved the quotes, especially the one from "Unreal City"! They're wonderful! I'm delighted your Muse is active and celebrating Spring - there's nothing better than a cheerful muse. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A happy Magaly Muse writes deliciously creepy yum, so yes, there is nothing better. ;-)

      Delete