Powerful in Spirit

A couple of weeks ago, Dana McKinney introduced me to her “Faerie Wings.” When I finished the first reading, I felt like flying, dancing, soaring… I knew I had to share the joy of her words. After reading the poem several times, I found myself wanting to know more about the witchy woman behind the poetry. I give you “Faerie Wings,” followed by a bit about Dana:

Faerie Wings
Do not offer me the gift of wings,
Those were a gift unto myself ages ago.
Do not presume to teach me flight,
For that lesson was self-taught in youth.
Do not warn me of curse’d skies and darken’d clouds,
That may hinder my cathartic soaring.
I am more powerful in spirit than you may know,
Welcoming the challenges set before me.
Keep your unneeded offerings and admonitions,
Giving me in their stead uplifting love and passion.
Be not only the gentle breeze beneath my wings,
Be too my companion on starry nights and breathless flights.
Soar skyclad with me beneath a halo’d moon,
And know our love will forever keep us aloft.

I was born and raised in southeast Oklahoma, having lived here all my life. I have 3 sons who are my pride and joy. I’ve been employed as a Family Support Worker/Parent Educator for the past 12+ years.

But who am I really? I am a book nerd and quite the grammar Nazi. I’ve been collecting books since I was a teen and have amassed a collection of well over 1,500 books. I love to write, but haven’t had much time for it this past year. I’m looking forward to getting back to it. With some encouragement and positive critiques, I’d love to write on a daily basis.

I am a Pagan Atheist Witch. That may or may not make sense to others, but it’s who I am. It’s my own personal identity. After all, my perception of myself is most important.

I love good wine, artsy type films, foreign languages, and want with all my heart to be standing beneath the Eiffel Tower on my 50th birthday. 
***

“Faerie Wings” can also be found on BookRix. And you can follow, friend (and harass Dana for more delicious poetry) on Facebook. She will be keeping an eye on this post, so feel free to address your comments and faerie-dust covered questions to the lady with the wings.
Snow Faerie by Greg Spalenka
when I saw the strength in this colors, I knew I had to pair the poem with the painting

30 comments:

  1. Dana, you have enchanted my heart. I have just read your words, aloud, to a friend. My friend listened, and then offered the words back to me. So sweetly appropriate to share with someone who cares. Please accept my encouragement for your writing.- such a powerful voice. Thank you.

    And, Magaly - brilliant pairing with Greg Spalenka's art. Thank you, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read Dana's poem over and over. I might print it and put it somewhere where I can see it often. It's wonderful to see so much love for freedom, self and adventure.

      Delete
  2. Lovey, lovey, word sparked visions :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second your sparked visions.

      Delete
  3. Such beautiful imagery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am beyond elated at the compliments and encouragement! I'm pleased that I could touch each of you, and know that you feel elated, liberated, and enchanted by my words. Thank you! Thank you!

    Much love!
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are just giving back a bit of what you've offered, methinks. :-)

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful poem! It lifts my spirits! Take care, both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel quite uplifted, too!

      Delete
  6. Such beautiful and inspiring words!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't make you want to run outside and just enjoy everything?

      Delete
    2. Um... "Doesn't it make you..."

      Delete
    3. Yes, Yes it does!!!

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much, Fundy and Ash-Lynn!! My heart is overflowing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dana, the imagery is hauntingly enchanting. Such a beautiful piece! Magaly, Lorelei is right... The artwork was a perfect choice. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some things dance better with the right partner... some people, too. Hehehe.

      Delete
  9. And the dance has been given new wings.....thank you Dana. I adore what your heart gave to you to write. Brava, Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping she blesses us with more word-yum... soon!

      Delete
  10. I'm always reading your posts, but I very rarely comment, I have to say, I absolutely love the poem, but the painting you shared is so truly gorgeous that I can't stop looking at it and loving all the details and colors used. I love art, and painting is my passion so I always have a special appreciation for it, I love color.

    The poem inspires me as well, and it really makes me want to paint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see the colors that come out of your inspiration!

      Delete
  11. So much strength in your words Dana. Your confident soaring is positively contagious :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "confident soaring is positively contagious" I LIKE that!

      Delete
  12. That is certainly a perfect pairing, both are beautiful and powerful in equal measure :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved that picture, had to look him up - and then ADORED 'Art Heart'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see "Karma"? I'm positively in love with it.

      Delete
  14. Beautiful words! Love the poem and I love that piece of art!
    Magaly, I wanted to tell you, when I was meditating last night, you came to me! I was flying over a beautiful, luscious forest. The greens were so gorgeous. When I stopped, I landed on a hill side, looking down at these magnificent trees. You, and your piano man were beside me. You were wearing a lilac color. I think it was a dress. Your beautiful hair was blowing in the wind. Your Princess was in front of the both of you and she handed you a beautiful, large bouquet of lavender flowers ;o)
    When you turned to me, you had the biggest smile on your face and some chocolate on your mouth! I guess you were enjoying some chocolate, before I got there! LOL!
    Don't know what it meant, but I had to share with you ;o)
    Big Hugs, Stacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lavender, chocolate, my Piano Man, the Little Princess and my Crow Goddess? I'm sure it means we were in paradise! I can almost imagine the grin on my face all smeared with chocolate, lol. And yum!

      Delete
  15. ~Thank you all for your sweet, inspiring words. For far too long now my Muses have been silent, but once again, I can feel them stirring, wishing to sing/write/create. Love has a funny way of doing that. I wish you all days filled with Love, Laughter, Light, and Magick. Namaste!~

    ReplyDelete