Learning from What Others Have Done and Taking One’s Own Advice

And by “One” I mean “Me.”

The last few weeks have been full of wee bits of weirdness: I started a Facebook Page and a Pinterest account—which I knew I didn’t need—just to show someone—who I knew wasn’t listening—that creating an online presence is not such a simple task; I was very curt with someone I care about because this person tried to guilt me into a relationship with an individual I purposely pushed out of my life; a person who professed undying dislike for me tried to lurk back in my good graces—all flashy grins and happy giggles—as if the ugly words had never been said; I keep on dreaming about riding a bicycle up a very steep West Virginia hill and when I can no longer pedal the bike sprouts wings…

I’m no dream oracle, but I pay attention to my subconscious. I’ve been finding a lot of stuff piled up on my plate lately, some out of my control. So what do we do when life give us things we can’t change or get rid of? We do something with the things we can control, find a way to dance with the ones that follow another’s tune, and then we fly to freedom.

So, let’s fly, my Wicked Luvs…  

Twenty-Eight Witchy Tales and Three Poems about Creepy Love Blooming Howls, the short story collection I’ve been working on for the last few months, was supposed to be published in spring. I’m not feeling the date. The stories are dark and delicious and put me in a Halloween sort of mine. I’ve decided to skip the spring publication, and let that body of tales sprout in October. And yes, the subtitle is correct: All Hallow’s Eve will bring “Twenty-Eight Witchy Tales and Three Poems about Creepy Love.” (Gina, don’t strangle me *cough*).

Flying Down Pagan Culture Memory Lane, Exercising and a Daily Selfie – April is my birthday month—I will be 37-years-young, my Wicked Luvs!—and I want to do something I need to do, something I used to do, and something new… yes, all together. I want to have a little fun. Just for me fun, which you get to watch and even join if you like. I will read my blog from the beginning (this I need to do), exercise every day in April and run a race on the first of May (I used to do this when I was in the Marine Corps), and I’ll take a daily selfie (the new bit).

Practicing the Art of Blurbing – When I told you that I joined the Blogging from A to Z April 2014 challenge, I also said that I had no clue what I was going to do for the event. Well, I’ve decided to blurb 26 of my short stories. If you’ve ever written a blurb, then you know it isn’t the easiest thing to do. Practice doesn’t always make perfect, but doing it a lot sure makes us better.

Witches in Fiction Flies to October and Say Farewell to All Hallow’s Grim – Because of events I can’t officially share yet, 2015 might be the first of many very busy months for me. I knew about it last August; in fact, I was supposed to tell you that I was going to consolidate Witches in Fiction and All Hallow’s Grim. But I, um… forgot. Better late than never, right? Unless we are talking about an undesirable visit, in which case “never” is perfect. Sorry. Got distracted there… Anyhoo, we must say farewell to All Hallow’s Grim, but don’t despair. We can just take our beloved grimness and bring it to Witches in Fiction, which will now take place in October. 

Facebook Page and Pinterest Experiment – Although the person who I had in mind when I started my Facebook Page and Pinterest account experiment didn’t quite take advantage of my research, the investigation was not a failure. Here are the oversimplified results: in almost 30 days no new persons visited the sources (Pagan Culture or MagalyGuerrero.com) by following a link they found on the page or on Pinterest. My conclusion: if you have enough time, and enjoy the process, by all means, plaster your stuff all over the web. It can’t hurt. However, if time is an issue and enjoyment isn’t happening, then choose wisely. Yes, I’ll delete both accounts soon… but you already knew that.    

Creepy Delicious Bit – This post was supposed to go up earlier this morning. But last night, I was enthralled by two episodes of Law & Order: Criminal Intent and ended up oversleeping. Then, a few hours ago, I stopped by Enchanted Moon Mojo, and read, “Learning from others’ mistakes is always helpful. So please choose wisely. Lest people thing you have rocks in your head.” By itself, this might say little to you. But you see, my Wicked Luvs, right before reading Snowy’s post Eliora and I were discussing the importance of learning by doing, and how valuable it is to learn from what others have done. I don’t know, I just love the bit of witchy synchronicity between friends.

Spring Is Coming Even if the Night Isn’t All that Dark or Full of Terrors – I’m just sayin’. Don’t believe me? Well, then look at my dieffenbachia unfurl. 


40 comments:

  1. My dearest Magaly...why would I ever want to throttle you?...I never worry about things I can't control, and lets face it...you are and will always be WAY out of anyone's control lol :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Throttle sounds so much cooler than strangle you. And probably not. Unless I was trying to eat your ice cream, in which case who knows. *CWS*

      Delete
  2. Just wanted to let you know I love you ... that is all

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such lovely newness to the unfurling green :) I pretty much use my Pinterest page as a bulletin board. It's where I pin things I wan to reference later, but don't have the umption to download to a flashdrive. I don't actually visit anyone else's page. Now I'm curious about 2015. I slap that flashy grin off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every now and then a good slap is the way to go. And a kick.

      Delete
  4. I was thinking at least four different things while reading this, but now I'm stuck on you publishing and getting married the same month...
    Oh, and your birthday coming up! If I had been traveling to NYC I would totally drop by and celebrate with you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just imagine the wildness...

      So much going on this year. So very much...

      Delete
  5. okay . . . what's a blurb?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A blurb is a very short summary. If we were speaking of novels, it would be the bit on the back of the book.

      Delete
  6. I'm so confused? Pinterest is like an online magazine to me. I pin things I like now and then. I've tried to keep up with all your sites, but thankfully you lead me to the correct place everytime.
    Okay...getting married? When? April birthday ! Running May1st, well keep running north and celebrate mine on the long weekend in May!
    I love how we all have so much in common, than not. No matter the decade differences. Now that is Wickedly Lovely! xoxoDebi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone was trying to use Pinterest, Instagram or a site like it to promote an online business. I wasn't sure that it would work, considering the person in question current online presence, so I wanted to see for myself.

      My Piano Man and I are getting hitched (I love that word, lol) in June. My birthday is April 5th. So, you were born on May 1st? A Beltane baby! How sexy. ;-D

      Delete
    2. Well congratulations! June! Wow! not much time! Nope.....May 21st 5:30 am on the cusp....
      half normal, half not! Shhhhhh. :)

      Delete
    3. Ooh! Your birthday is the day after mine! (See what I did there?) And congratulations! :) A June bride!

      Delete
    4. Hahaha! I do indeed. April babies are very clever.

      Delete
    5. Hitched in June and birthday in April ;o) Big Smiles ;o)

      Delete
  7. You've certainly got a lot on your plate. The blurb idea is clever and I'm sure will end up being a really productive and worthwhile exercise. A blurb blog fest for writers might be really beneficial.

    I never check stats for anything, so I have no idea what's going on when it comes to my social media and traffic from links, etc. I really live in my own, self-indulgent, little bubble world when it comes to the internet. I'm completely clueless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be a good exercise, too: I can't take forever, it can't long, and I'll be blurbing stories I know well. Let's see how it goes.

      Until not that long ago, I didn't even know we could look at stats. Then one day I clicked on something, then on something else and saw it. Now I check every once in a while... 'cause I'm like a cat. ;-)

      Delete
  8. You know I have a lot of time on my hands but putting up pictures on another site just seems such a waste of time. For me. Same for Facebook and whatever else there is out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the same for me. At least at the moment. I find no pleasure in it and it doesn't do anything for me, so I'll leave it for those who love it.

      Delete
  9. The A-Z challenge is a little daunting. And my blog isn't very big. I'm evoking whale and minnow references here. But I'll certainly read those blurbles. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. Even thinking of it feels a bit overwhelming. I'm pretty sure I'll follow the challenge in a very creative way... I shall email them, so they don't confuse my creativity with cheating. *cough*

      Delete
  10. It's weird but I love Pinterest because I use it like a file cabinet of all sorts of things that I either want to cook, or try or envy or enjoy. It's there but I don't have to organize it and I love it.
    As to you being a multitasker and maniac in the doing..............nuff said. Thanks for the ear, the knowledge sharing and the caring. So much love, Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Jonquil and you use Pinterest for very similar purposes. I think that if I was a knitter (or someone capable of truly following cooking recipes) I would use it with the same idea in mind. It works for that.

      "Multitasker and Maniac" I LIKE it!

      Delete
  11. I love reading your words and blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You do have a busy year planned, it's great to plan ahead.
    So many exciting things happening.
    I'm looking forward to reading your blurbs.

    Have a lovely day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to the blurbs, too. Let's hope all goes well. *fingers crossed*

      Delete
  13. Do you ever just sit and breathe??? Just wondering ;o) It has been a wild couple of weeks for me too! "Ray" e-mailed! Two massive ravens came to our house! I cried! It was such an overwhelming feeling in me! We have never had ravens out our house before! This was the same day Ray e-mailed! Uggg!! Who knows?
    Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must email me and give me all details! What a wondrous day you had. I bet you were all giggles and dance. ;-D

      Delete
    2. I will e-mail soon, promise ;o)

      Delete
  14. Oh, your wedding present, I was hoping to buy at the stone festival in August. Do you mind if your pressie is a little late???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, I'm deliriously happy just knowing that you thought about us!

      Delete
  15. One more thing! My mom's birthday is in June ;o) June 28th ;o) She turns 75 this year ;o) Two very special things happening in June this year ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you guys lived closer, we could cook something yummy for her birthday. 75-years-young, what a delight!

      Delete
  16. Blurring? blurbing? I think that's what I do if I drink too much wine! Well miss Wicked, you have a full dance card girl, start pedalling :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure you aren't the only on, lol!
      I shall pedal on!

      Delete