Blood Is the New Gold


Laila Flynn walked into Wildwoods Emergency Clinic wishing she had stopped by her apartment first. She had visited DeeAnn Bridges, her employee, every night since she was attacked at Laila’s shop.

And today is extra special, Laila thought. It was Saint Patrick’s Day and having to spend the holiday in the hospital had to be tough on the young Irish woman. Still, she should have changed out of the crimson jacket, top hat and stiletto ankle boots she wore to the Saint Patrick’s Day in Red party.

Every eye in the waiting room was on her. Laila was four-foot one, and her head was visual proof of the intellectual massiveness housed in her frontal lobe. She almost understood the half-concealed glances she often got from strangers—an unusually short, extra curvy woman with blazing-red hair seemed to attract people’s attention. Still, the blatant gawking annoyed her.

An older lady and a little girl holding a green cup stared particularly hard.

“Prettiest red Bratz ever,” the little girl said.

“Miranda!” The lady pulled on the girl’s sleeve, and the child dropped the cup.

Seeing that the little girl was about to cry, Laila smiled at the lady, and said, “It’s all right, ma’am,” before winking at the child. “I’ve heard those dolls are very pretty.” She picked up the cup and extended it towards the lady.

The girl reached for the cup, but the woman jerked her back by the arm.

“Mommy that hurt,” the little girl said, rubbing the spot.

The woman grabbed the girl by the shoulders. “What have I told you about staying away from strangers? Strange people are dangerous.”

“But—”

“Your granny is right, sweetie.” Laila spoke to the child, but her smirk was fixed on the woman’s hard eyes. “You can’t tell what ugly things crawl around a person’s mind just by looking at her face. Sometimes…” She paused when she noticed blood on the girl’s arm.

The woman had scratched her. Girl and mother seemed to have missed it. The girl was giggling, while absentmindedly smearing the blood on the pale skin of her arm.

“Mommy is not my granny. I was a late surprise. Tell her, Mommy. Tell her I was a surprise.”

The woman opened her mouth, but closed it when Laila pulled a napkin out of her bag and pointed at the girl’s bleeding arm.

“Thank you,” the woman said, her voice shaky and her eyes wide. “I’m so very sorry. I wasn’t trying to—”

“Miss Flynn, I didn’t know you were here.”

Laila turned towards DeeAnn’s voice, glad to see she felt well enough to grin. “Only you can smile after being… so sick.” She was going to say stabbed, but the little girl was still looking at her. “I thought you were supposed to be here until Wednesday.”

“I was,” DeeAnn said, “but Mom went Irish on the doctors and of course they lost.”

Laila looked around, but didn’t see Mrs. Bridges. “Is she getting your stuff? I should go give her a hand.”

She put my things on a wheelchair and took them to the car.” DeeAnn rolled her eyes. “I got three miserable stitches, but Mom is treating me like I just had a heart replacement. She told me to wait in the room, but I’ll meet her outside and give her more reasons to fuss. She’ll like it.”

“All right,” Laila shook her head and laughed. “Let’s go wait. I’ll make sure to say how your behavior is breaking your poor mother’s heart, and you should be ashamed of yourself.” Out of the corner of her eye, Laila saw the woman nudge the little girl.

“Um, excuse me,” the little girl said. “Thanks so very much for the napkin, Miss.”

“You’re so very welcome.” Laila smiled at the suddenly shy child.

Mother and daughter smiled back at Laila.

As Laila and DeeAnn headed for the door, the little girl screamed, “Look, Mommy.” She sounded ecstatic. “I found a gold coin in my napkin. Lucky, lucky, lucky!”

The joy springing out of the girl made Laila grin. And the warm energy produced by the natural power of someone else’s happiness deepened the liquid red of her shoes. 

please come back Friday,
which is the second part of this story
and my contribution to Oma Linda’s Hues of Oz

via

32 comments:

  1. Oooo - a Leprechaun! I didn't get it until the very end :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, the moment I read this, I wanted to go: "Ooo, ooo, ooo!" lol

      Delete
  2. Hehehehe. Hope to see more of this leprechaun soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your wish is my command, m'lady. Hehehe.

      Delete
  3. Stand Applause! Love this! I wish that everytime my mother scratched me with her claws..( 50's pointed claws) the blood turned to gold coins! I could have runaway rich!
    I truly love this story.....and will be thrilled for More Please! xoDebi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch to the scratching, not to the rich. ;-)
      On Friday, you shall be thrilled again!

      Delete
    2. I can use all the THRILL I can get ! Can't wait! xo

      Delete
  4. Ohh! Lovely! What a wonderful idea, that the aura of happiness, the raw emotion, should be a fuel for other creatures. And I see what you did. One post, two events! That's clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our emotions are so powerful--the good and the bad ones. I like the idea of the great ones turning into something precious and tangible.

      "One post, two events!" indeed. It occurred to me, the moment come up with the idea. Yes, I can be a bit lazy, um... clever!

      Delete
  5. Interesting - both Blood and Gold run in veins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That thought left me with a wonderful visual...

      Delete
  6. Oh, I love that the story will continue in Hues of Oz, Magaly! It's like two favourite TV shows doing a crossover episode. Great idea!

    And the title is brilliant!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very excited about Friday. Laila Flynn came to me about five years ago, just when I was starting to write fiction. It is kind of nice to see her face again, and to follow her story. ;-)

      And I like the titles, too. A lot!

      Delete
  7. How lovely the story is! I wish I had red hair! I used color my hair with henna for that purpose :) I shall start again!
    Emotions do fill us and others! Hope to read more of your writing soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red hair seems to invite mystery and passion. I bet you look great in red hair, with your complexion. I hope you share a picture!

      Delete
  8. Oh. MY. GODDESS . I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. *claps delightedly* Adorable! Laila reminds me of my grandmother, the sort of person who can put you in your place with a few gracious words, and leave you wondering what the hell just happened...

    So.... more forthcoming? :D

    -Fox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like my Laila and your grandmother might have known each other and discuss strategies, lol!

      You shall get more, tomorrow. ;-D

      Delete
  10. Fantastic! I love this ;o) I have to go look for my gold coin ;o) Can't wait to read more ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you found a pot full of gold coins!

      Delete
  11. see what I get for typing all day and missing out on this story????? Of course you have once again, blurred lines and filled in spaces. I love this. I am excited to get "more please", Oliver style. Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm very happy you liked it, Oma. I'm extra excited about tomorrow's part, for Hues of Oz. I had such fun writing it and wondering how you would like it.

      Delete
  12. I just hope you are saving these for publication!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, indeed! I will polish it, expand it, and then send it out to the world with a few friends for company. ;-)

      Delete
  13. Perhaps she is of the wee magical folk, I will keep reading to discover more

    ReplyDelete
  14. How many favorites am I allowed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can love the all, m'love! ;-D

      Delete
  15. I was brought up with the traditional green leprechaun stories but I can really take to Laila in fetching red outfit and shoes. Come to think of it all the old stories were of male leprechauns, maybe they are green and the ladies sport the fashionable red? Looking forward to hearing and learning more of Laila.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished rereading the three tales I've already written. I really like where she's going in this next one...

      Delete
    2. P.S. If you follow this link, you can read more of Laila: http://magalyguerrero.com/web-serials-stories/

      Delete