A Hat Full of Sky and a Head Full of, Um… Well, Yourself

“It’s always surprising to be reminded that while you’re watching and thinking about people, all knowing and superior, they’re watching and thinking about you, right back at you.” ~ A Hat Full of Sky

I believe in those words. I’m an Aries, a witchy woman and a Marine. For those who might not know why I’m pointing this out, I should explain that this triad of traits easily suggests that my level of narcissistic self-love can reach unheard of heights.

Yep, my Wicked Luvs, I’ve always known I’m freaking awesome. And because my haughtiness doesn’t diminish my intelligence, I know that if I feel this way about moi, it is quite possible—if not certain—that many other people know the same exact thing about themselves.

So… because your brains are huge and delicious (watch out for zombies *cough*), you are probably asking yourself, Um, Wicked Witch Writer, where are you going with this? I’m so glad you ask, my Wicked Darling Luvs, for I, indeed, have a point. This morning, I woke up to this email:

“Hi Miss Magely. Let me introduce myself, my name is [insert name of writer here]. I’m the author of [insert name of YA series here]. I noticed your very active readers like YA fiction with complex conflicts. I have followers, but can’t get them to participate. I’m linking my blog and would be grateful if you share the links with your blog followers. Facebook? Twitter? I would be happy to do the same for you, if you are interested.”

I should tell you, my Wicked Luvs, that I have no idea who this person is. This individual has never commented on a post here or at my writing site. I haven’t even seen the name around. And I’m not surprised, considering the content of this email.

I replied to the writer with the quote at the beginning of the post, and a little more:

Dear [insert name of writer here],

Because we are both writers and bloggers, I’m replying to your message with a quote from Terry Pratchett, perhaps my favorite builder of worlds: “It’s always surprising to be reminded that while you’re watching and thinking about people, all knowing and superior, they’re watching and thinking about you, right back at you.”

Once I finish my coffee and do a bit of fiction writing, I will add a post to the quote. Read it, if you have the time. I highly suggest leaving a comment as well.

I’m sure you already know this (Pratchett said it best), but I will explain the reasons behind my suggestion anyway: Above all, readers are also people. People like to talk about things they like with other people they like. Many times they don’t even have to like the people; just find what they say interesting enough. And I am people—most of the time—so I should know about this *grin*.
         
I went on to say that I hoped the writer took the reply as it was meant: a bit of insight with a tad of Magalyness in it. I also added that blogging and sharing (and in this digital age, writer and authors relationships) are a two-way street. At least, I think so.

What do you think about the topic, my Wicked Luvs? 
And why do people continue to misspell my name!
*grin, don’t growl. And cackle; yes, cackling is yummy*
 via

30 comments:

  1. Now if he had asked for advice on how to better interact with his own followers, this could have been the start of a lovely new friendship...but....asking you to spam/encourage your followers with his stuff is a bit cheeky......and misspelling your name is just lazy. Maybe that is why his followers don't interact so much? CWS XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or even it this individual would have visited a few times, gotten to know the people who visit here, and then ask for help... but these weird kind of exchanges have always made me raise a brow.

      Delete
  2. What Gins said! and don't share us with others! or else*****. xoxoDebi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I promise to keep you all to myself. And if you share me... well, if they are nice and gentle, maybe. :-D

      Delete
  3. Exactly, Gina!. There are ways to alienate people from first contact. This one was a master-stroke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Some of us seem to forget that the easiest way to learn is to observe and participate.

      Delete
  4. Uh.........I wouldn't even say lazy, I would say disrespectful. When you ask someone for something, best make sure that you have all the basic info correct beforehand, but then as you said "our brains are huge and delicious". Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this was a bit much...

      Delete
  5. Hello dear Magaly,

    Hmm...how cheeky!!
    I recently received an email from someone asking if I could promote their craft fair. I just ignored her. Now I wish my brain was as sharp and witchy as yours, then she would most definitely have received a reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people have no common sense. And respect, in their mind, must be something that happens to other people.

      Delete
  6. From this email, I am not sure what this author expects from their readers. Does s/he expect them to interact by discussing his/her works? Or do they define 'participation' as interacting with the writer as regards personal interests?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what? Now that you mention it, I have no idea... Now I'm curious...

      Delete
  7. How long until "maggalyness" makes it into the dictionary?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just burst into laughter. We all know that when "magalyness" makes it to dictionary, it will only have on "g". LOL!

      Delete
    2. Oh, it won't be long. I'm sure of it.

      Delete
  8. It sounds like he is more interested in quantity over quality. Does he call any of his followers by name when he posts anything. Is he just posting something and then sitting back? He does need to remember that followers are readers. Is his blog totally about self promotion? He needs to give them some mind candy at least every once in a while. He could learn a lot just by following YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LIKES "mind candy"! Lots and lots of it!

      Delete
  9. First he spells your name wrong, then wants you to get your loyal reader/friends to follow him/his work/blog. I don't think so. If this person is reading this reply, if you want your reader/followers to interact with then you have to interact with them. If the make a comment on a post then reply to it, if they have a blog follow it and try to respond to a post they make every now and then. Magaly did not just get all these follower/readers/friends overnight she earned them, by getting to know us and interacting with us not by someone else telling us to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you, my dear Ash, have said it. I feel blessed because I enjoy learning about other people, reading about their lives (in fiction and reality). I wonder if this person doesn't quite like people...

      Delete
  10. At least this person misspelled your name as "Mage-ly"... perhaps since you're such a word magician, they just got really excited...
    >_>
    <_<
    Or perhaps like everyone above mentions, just cheeky and/or lazy. Ah well. Hopefully this author will learn from this little... faux pas *ahem...* and try actual interaction with their readers instead of soliciting other authors... "Lets's pimp each other and see if you can work your magic for ME." Um, no.
    Also, perhaps double checking that one is spelling the name correctly of the person one is begging help from might be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Lori are too funny. While I was venting earlier, she told me, "At least [this person] called you a mage." Too hilarious.

      Delete
  11. That's it, if they can spell your name wrong and request your friends/followers/dysfunctional OCD stalkers (whoops that last one may just be me) are just going to embrace them and their craft because they can herd individual super smart sexy gorgeous ultra talented dudes that gather here, like brainless (though still cute and frankly if you find them sexy, get help) sheep... Well doesn't work that way, commodities are on the stock market, you buy and sell them... Very different to people, thinking people too, you have to just read feedback and comments on your posts (what's your name again, Magilly?) to realise we who comment here are those of principle, capable of decision making, generous, part of a, well, can I say 'coven of like minded who would/could never be traded/shared. This dude should join the convo, work hard at getting the loyality you can now enjoy (Magalie?) it is pretty insulting that someone would consider people so dumb arse they could be used as cards in a game of grab. I'm off for a shower, makes me feel dirty... Not in a good way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My enormous delicious brain can't stop giggling.
      Signed,
      Magalycious.

      Delete
  12. Surely surely that people watch us the way we watch them. I can't help thinking about it now! That's ineteresting. Obviously, leading a dialogue/monologue with your readers is important, also because we are in the age of technology. Can you even imagine suppose, Goffma,n having conversations with about 300-400 people through sending them letters across the globe? :) Oh, that way he wouldn't have had time to write all his wonderful compositions,hehe, and lost so much time in waiting their replies...
    My tasty brain thinks that the author who sent an e-mail isa lucky one, because you replied him and gave valuable hint. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm thinking of writers from the olden days keeping correspondence with a bunch of their readers (300-400) and can't stop giggling. Thanks for the humor, Anna!

      Delete
  13. It almost seems as though this came from an author who (and let's face it, all of us writers have these moments every now and then) separates him/herself from the readership. It takes a reader to be a writer, and we should consider ourselves part of their community, not look at them as fans of ours. It's one thing starting a dialogue, even leading it, but you have to be *part* of the conversation in order to participate.

    -your Artful White Fox. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot is lost when we separate the world--writing or otherwise--in "us" and "them" groups. So yes, I agree.

      Delete
  14. I would never ask anyone, for anything, if I haven't at least followed their blog and commented! And, to spell your name wrong!! Ugggg!! What is your name again? LOL! Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Ms. Super Hot Stuff with Words to Write, for you. ;-D

      Delete