Sunshine and Memories to Warm the Winter Cold

Vida Winter said that “there can be no secrets in a house where there are children.” I wonder if she knows that the same is true of a life where there are Witches.

I’m not one to hide my emotions… But every now and then my brain buries feelings in the secret catacombs of the subconscious, in order to allow me to work. Writing becomes a difficult activity when the body is being shaken by sobs.

These last few days, witchy friends have said, “You sound down” and “I’ve been feeling your sadness, what’s wrong?” and “Is everything okay? I dreamed you were crying,” and “I’m here if you need to talk. Or if you don’t. Just know I’m here,” and my faerie godwitch—who has never been known for her tactful ways, I mean, she likes to keep it real—said, “You sounded a bit down… [if it’s about] your brother we can hug and carry on.” My little brother would have liked that. He liked keeping it real…

13 Facts about Me
   1. February has been full of memories about my little brother. Almost a year since…
   2. So I started writing about siblings
   3. The stories are dark, and soothing, and scary, and they make me cry… a lot
   4. I often talk to my little brother’s ashes
   5. Sometimes I argue with him
   6. I’ve yelled at him, “Why didn’t you step on the brakes, you butthead!”
   7. I’m crying now, glaring at his ashes, whispering, “Butthead.”
   8. I just smiled at the thought of what he would say if he could see me now
   9. My little brother used to tell me, “You love me because I’m so good-looking.”
   10. I used to laugh, and say, “Butthead!”
   11. Whenever I called my little brother butthead, he would cackle and flash a wild grin
   12. I would watch the bright cackle-grin on his face, and think, You’ll live forever…
   13. I don’t think that anymore. I know it.

I’ve yet to name the main character in the short stories about siblings. I’ve considered Margarita del Sol (daisy of the sun), after seeing “Jump for Joy” by SunshineShelle, a painting that puts a grin on my face.
Isn’t it wondrous how the simplest things in life have the power to bring light and warmth into an otherwise cold and dark winter? Thanks for the award nomination, Marietta, you’re welcome to lurk around here as much as you like.

I want to forward this award to anyone who needs an extra bit of sunshine in their lives. If you accept the award, do email me a link of the place where you shared it—magalyguerrero(at)live(dot)com—I would love to stop by your cyber-home and see you shine in the dark. ;-)
awarded by Witchy Words, who got it from Lazy Days

27 comments:

  1. I like the sound of Margarita del Sol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it, too. Earthy and shiny. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I think of my own children, siblings who completely admit they enjoy tormenting each other, only to complain that they miss each other when they are someplace else. Butthead is just how some sibs say "I love you".

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally with you in the complaining bit. When he was alive, we argue all the time. About serious things, about nonsense... the same is true for me and my big brother right now. I guess it's just the way of siblings, huh?

      Delete
    2. P.S. Thanks for the hugs. ;-)

      Delete
  3. It is a Wonder that you & your brother shared such love that you miss him so. It isn't that my sisters & myself are estranged, we just have so little in common & live so far apart, that their dying would have scant impact (the same would be said of my death). (your brother might well be yelling much the same to himself: 'Brakes, dude, brakes!')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a family member (or three) about whom I feel that way. I'm not even sure what I would feel if they traveled to the Summerlands tomorrow. Weird how that works. My little brother and I were the family rebels. Always annoying the rest of the family, but happy with ourselves. I hope he is looking down on other people who need to keep their feet on the brakes. He would make a very good angel, a bit wicked, but wonderful.

      Delete
  4. This is a hard month and for you, it probably always will be even if there is sunshine. I don't know anyone who deserves their bright shining recognised as much as you, so heartfelt congratulations. Even when you're angry or down, you're still fierce like a hot little mama star. Hugs for you, and hugs for your brother, who now has all the answers to our biggest questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of my little brother knowing the answers to the biggest questions. Knowing him, he'll probably whisper a few to those of us without current access. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Loves you <3 XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because I'm good-looking, isn't it? ;-D

      Delete
  6. I adore your sibling stories. <3

    Having had 10 brothers and sisters, myself, I could tell stories for days and days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, because I like writing them. They get difficult to birth every now and then, but when I do... everything is well again.

      Ten brothers and sisters, three more and could've have your own squad!

      Delete
  7. Writing is nothing but theraputic is it not ;)

    Here's hoping the sunshine is soothing your Witchy soul - your post brought much needed light and warmth into this cold, dark winter. Thank you Magaly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing does it every time. Soothing with words in it. ;-)

      Delete
  8. Magaly, I am sending you a big sunny hug! Love you ;o) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I love you right back *holding on to my big hug*!

      Delete
  9. Ahh, I sort of feel like I've liked your brother since I saw his pic (that freaking SMILE) and he certainly seemed to have a life & personality that I can't believe doesn't exist elsewhere. So he is still around, still grinning when you call him 'butt-head' :) Lovely post Magaly, and he is a butt-head for leaving too soon, and for making you cry, but that is never going to change the deep love you have for him & the sunshine he bought x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to believe that he (probably in company of my grandmother) opened an inn in the Summerlands, with a tasty restaurant and a place where newcomers can have something strong and a dance, too. Energy doesn't disappear, it just changes... and that boy was pure energy. ;-)

      Delete
  10. You more than deserved the award. Best wishes to you as you forge forward during this difficult part of the year. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. I shall. ;-)

      Delete
  11. You are so fortunate to have a Little Brother who loved you and you he. My sister and I have never gotten along (too much alike) and now are estranged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been lucky, indeed. I've also been (still are in some cases) less than close to some relatives. We must do what we have to in order to survive, right?

      Delete
  12. I'm sorry you are feeling down, it seems to be going around right now. There aren't really any good things to say to anyone who has lost a loved one, except mourning will take the time it needs to take, and eventually there will be less pain attached to the memories.

    I wish you and Piano man a wonderful Valentine's weekend with lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so very right. We can talk about the situation, but the pain is a living thing. It seems that it only changes or goes to sleep for a while, but it always comes back to play. The memories help...

      I wish the same for you and your Cinnamon man. ♥

      Delete
  13. Oh honey, my heart just bleeds for you. I could not imagine how I would ever carry on if I lost my sister. You are a true warrior, and certainly a ray of sunshine in your own right. I love the sibling affection of sharing things like "butthead" followed immediately with loon sized grins.

    Margarita del Sol is a beautiful name and would be my top pick. And Shelle's painting is so amazing. I could look at her work all day. Such talent, both of you. Cyber hugging you tightly, my love. Mina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is probably grinning like a loon this very moment, so I'll grin right back... Shelle's work is great therapy. *hugging you right back*

      Delete