Vida Winter said that “there can be no secrets in a house where there are children.” I wonder if she knows that the same is true of a life where there are Witches.
I’m not one to hide my emotions… But every now and then my brain buries feelings in the secret catacombs of the subconscious, in order to allow me to work. Writing becomes a difficult activity when the body is being shaken by sobs.
These last few days, witchy friends have said, “You sound down” and “I’ve been feeling your sadness, what’s wrong?” and “Is everything okay? I dreamed you were crying,” and “I’m here if you need to talk. Or if you don’t. Just know I’m here,” and my faerie godwitch—who has never been known for her tactful ways, I mean, she likes to keep it real—said, “You sounded a bit down… [if it’s about] your brother we can hug and carry on.” My little brother would have liked that. He liked keeping it real…
13 Facts about Me
1. February has been full of memories about my little brother. Almost a year since…
2. So I started writing about siblings
3. The stories are dark, and soothing, and scary, and they make me cry… a lot
4. I often talk to my little brother’s ashes
5. Sometimes I argue with him
6. I’ve yelled at him, “Why didn’t you step on the brakes, you butthead!”
7. I’m crying now, glaring at his ashes, whispering, “Butthead.”
8. I just smiled at the thought of what he would say if he could see me now
9. My little brother used to tell me, “You love me because I’m so good-looking.”
10. I used to laugh, and say, “Butthead!”
11. Whenever I called my little brother butthead, he would cackle and flash a wild grin
12. I would watch the bright cackle-grin on his face, and think, You’ll live forever…
13. I don’t think that anymore. I know it.
I’ve yet to name the main character in the short stories about siblings. I’ve considered Margarita del Sol (daisy of the sun), after seeing “Jump for Joy” by SunshineShelle, a painting that puts a grin on my face.
Isn’t it wondrous how the simplest things in life have the power to bring light and warmth into an otherwise cold and dark winter? Thanks for the award nomination, Marietta, you’re welcome to lurk around here as much as you like.
I want to forward this award to anyone who needs an extra bit of sunshine in their lives. If you accept the award, do email me a link of the place where you shared it—magalyguerrero(at)live(dot)com—I would love to stop by your cyber-home and see you shine in the dark. ;-)