When Leeanne, from Can We Have a New Witch Ours Melted, gave us an award (thank you so much!), the Muse and I decided to use the opportunity to explore an issue that is ever-present in our minds.
Four years ago, we had a discussion that resulted in a contract. I said, “Muse, you seem to like this fiction thing. Go ahead, write some tales. See how you like it. If nothing comes out of it after five years, then it’s quite all right to change tactics.” The contract dictated that the following would be accomplished before spring 2015:
1. Publish something we—the Muse and I—are proud of, and which touches others… the greater amount of “others”getting touched the better.
2. Five months later, I amended the contract to say: “Muse, you need to focus! Yes, it’s nice to be creatively wild, but we won’t finish a thing if we don’t keep at it.”
3. In 2012, the Muse and I accidentally fulfilled the first bit of our contract—we are both very proud of AlmaMia Cienfuegos (even if the tale was birthed ahead of time).
4. After AlmaMia, the contract was amended again: “Muse, we need to find a way to work on two worlds at the same time. Pre-Chaos was supposed to get here before AlmaMia. We both knew that, so stop making faces and write on!”
5. I started writing Thorn in Red… and published it in 2013
6. “Muse,” I said, “what’s going on?”
7. “No idea, Wicked Writer. I got lost way back when you published AlmaMia before Pre-Chaosand blamed me for your lack of focus. Now Thorn in Red.”
8. “Oh,” I said, trying not to look at the Muse, but it’s really hard when she lives in my head. “I guess we’ll just keep at it.”
9. “Sure,” said the Muse. “We should focus on AlmaMia, and continue Pre-Chaos after we are done with Wishing upon Earth and Bone.”
10. “Um… Muse? I was thinking we could work mainly on AlmaMia, but dedicate a few hours to Pre-Chaos, Thorn in Red and to the stories that will probably burst out of my eyeballs if I don’t outline them soon.” I paused to give her time to digest. “Unless you can’t do it. I would understand if you couldn’t do it. No one is—”
11. “I can do anything, Witch. I live in the universe of your head, where anything can happen… and probably will.”
As you might’ve of noticed, the contract has gotten a little out of hand. But something remains unchanged: the Muse can do anything she puts her mind to. And whatever she can do, I can do better.
Little Writer’s Muse by Minzile... because she was just too cute not to share!
Again, thanks very much for the sunshine, Leeanna. The rules say that I have to share 11 facts about me, and I just did. I also have to nominate 10 deserving bloggers. Well… I can’t stand even numbers, so I’ll follow Leeanna’s lead and go for a threesome:
2. SunshineShelle *giggles, I couldn’t help myself*
3. Winter Moon