Of the Muse, Narcissism, Melted Witches and Wintry Sunshine

When Leeanne, from Can We Have a New Witch Ours Melted, gave us an award (thank you so much!), the Muse and I decided to use the opportunity to explore an issue that is ever-present in our minds.

Four years ago, we had a discussion that resulted in a contract. I said, “Muse, you seem to like this fiction thing. Go ahead, write some tales. See how you like it. If nothing comes out of it after five years, then it’s quite all right to change tactics.” The contract dictated that the following would be accomplished before spring 2015:

1. Publish something we—the Muse and I—are proud of, and which touches others… the greater amount of “others”getting touched the better.

2. Five months later, I amended the contract to say: “Muse, you need to focus! Yes, it’s nice to be creatively wild, but we won’t finish a thing if we don’t keep at it.”

3. In 2012, the Muse and I accidentally fulfilled the first bit of our contract—we are both very proud of AlmaMia Cienfuegos (even if the tale was birthed ahead of time).

4. After AlmaMia, the contract was amended again: “Muse, we need to find a way to work on two worlds at the same time. Pre-Chaos was supposed to get here before AlmaMia. We both knew that, so stop making faces and write on!”

5. I started writing Thorn in Red… and published it in 2013

6. “Muse,” I said, “what’s going on?”

7. “No idea, Wicked Writer. I got lost way back when you published AlmaMia before Pre-Chaosand blamed me for your lack of focus. Now Thorn in Red.

8. “Oh,” I said, trying not to look at the Muse, but it’s really hard when she lives in my head. “I guess we’ll just keep at it.”

9. “Sure,” said the Muse. “We should focus on AlmaMia, and continue Pre-Chaos after we are done with Wishing upon Earth and Bone.”

10. “Um… Muse? I was thinking we could work mainly on AlmaMia, but dedicate a few hours to Pre-ChaosThorn in Red and to the stories that will probably burst out of my eyeballs if I don’t outline them soon.” I paused to give her time to digest. “Unless you can’t do it. I would understand if you couldn’t do it. No one is—”

11. “I can do anything, Witch. I live in the universe of your head, where anything can happen… and probably will.”

As you might’ve of noticed, the contract has gotten a little out of hand. But something remains unchanged: the Muse can do anything she puts her mind to. And whatever she can do, I can do better. 

So, my Wicked Luvs, how does your Muse take her narcissism? My Muse and I prefer ours in a cup of hot French vanilla coffee, with many spoons of hard work, a pinch of mostly realistic expectations and a lot of sunshine. ;-)
Little Writer’s Muse by Minzile... because she was just too cute not to share!

Again, thanks very much for the sunshine, Leeanna. The rules say that I have to share 11 facts about me, and I just did. I also have to nominate 10 deserving bloggers. Well… I can’t stand even numbers, so I’ll follow Leeanna’s lead and go for a threesome:
         
2. SunshineShelle *giggles, I couldn’t help myself*

Spread the warm light, my Wicked Luvs. Unless you don’t do the award thing, in which case we can just sit here, staring at each other, looking and feeling terribly awkward…

24 comments:

  1. I don't have a muse, I have two ID's constantly trying to make themselves heard to my Superego. (I have a weak Ego, like most ill people). One of my ID's wants to scream, fight, write, drink, fuck, sew, plant, dance, run and is always about to explode. The other ID just wants to hide, cry and get lulled to sleep in strong arms. Making any kind of contract with these two is absolutely impossible. I can introduce an idea and let all three of us bounce it of each other, and what comes out might be total mush, stinking shit, or beautiful music. It's crap shoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe, one day ID one and ID two will find common grounds. Maybe a dark place (or a bright one) where they can do it hiding under the sheets. I bet your Superego is eternally exhausted...

      Delete
    2. I was just thinking that your first ID has probably been whispering to my own Id these days...

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you and your Muse are keeping each other in line :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We try, we try... and sometimes we fail. But we are lucky. There is always a friend who nudges (or kick) us back into the path. ;-D

      Delete
  3. I was going to say..."my muse is extremely well mannered and never pushy...", but then I realised ...she cracks the whip every time, and I jump to whatever medium she requires to get the "OOOW!" out of my head lol...*hangs head in shame* :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first step is recognizing that you're being controlled. The next is giving her what she wants, for resistance is futile, lol!

      Delete
  4. “I can do anything, Witch. I live in the universe of your head, where anything can happen… and probably will.”

    No truer word has ever been spoken, I really like the way your muse thinks :)

    My muse is a stubborn one. We can only get on with the more creative and enjoyable tasks of photographing stock and creating chaos, when all the mundane, everyday chores are complete.

    I'm honoured that you chose to share this wonderful award with me, thank you so much dear Magaly.

    I can't wait to get started on my post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Few things are more wonderful than a muse with character (or with many characters). I wish mine was a bit less erratic at times. But I would probably be very unhappy if that wish became true. I kind of enjoy our surprise-full life. ;-D

      Delete
  5. Aw you are so sweet! LOL, sometimes my muse offers me sweets to follow down the path it leads me. Other times my muse is about as gentle as Melisande Shahrisai *snort*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a well known fact that my sweetness is legendary. My Dad started spreading the rumor when I was born, then I picked it up and moved it forward. ;-D

      Muses are grand. It seems that they always manage to kick us just when we need it. Then they come up with something sweet to make it better.

      Delete
  6. When my muse wants to get going, there is nothing stopping her! I can't even talk! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet your muse has pretty, shiny black feathers! Who can say no to that?

      Delete
  7. I love the art piece ;o) Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the mixture, the tone and the impishness of the little much. Totally cute.

      Delete
  8. Sometimes my muse is yelling at me, and I'm like no, gotta finish this job, and sometimes she sulks, says nothing, actually she can be a bitch like that, sometimes I think it's just me, pretending to have a muse but just chatting to my lonely arsed self at my desk LOL... I accept your award, not sure if my partner Ms Muse has yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could also be the muse chatting to herself and you are just there listening and painting. Yep, I'm sure of it. I hope your muse likes the sunshine. ;-D

      Delete
    2. She does... But me, well, I sort of balance her with the dark ;)

      Delete
    3. We have agreed, we accept your aware :D Stay tuned

      Delete
    4. I'm so glad you guys had that conversation. My muse, today, told me that I need to clean the house. I don't like when she start sounding crazy like that, lol!

      Delete
    5. Clean the house? Are you sure that this is your Muse?

      Delete
    6. Um... it could be Señor OCD talking, lol!

      Delete
  9. Muse likes Venti Vanilla Soy Lattes.

    ReplyDelete