I Saw Red Ribbons and Mallets, So I Wrote

I wonder if I will ever adopt a specific approach (or writing order) when it comes to storytelling. As of right now, I doubt it very much. Sometimes I start at the beginning. But often, like in the case of “The Dark Place” and “Risqué,” a flash of the ending is what inspires me to write the story.

Yesterday, I was talking to a friend who is writing a piece of high fantasy. She finds herself wanting to jump forward to, let’s say, chapter 28 without writing chapter 13. I told her that it happens. Wishing upon Earth and Bone, my work in progress, is a good example. I knew the beginning, the middle and the end of the story… I sat down to write the beginning, and the first 3,000 words on my screen composed a middle chapter. I’ve been writing towards the beginning and the end ever since.

I always jot down a loose plot—I like a bit of order in the huge chaos of my writing madness—but I rarely follow a straight line. I start writing a tale, enjoy watching as it take its own shape, and get to the true ending at the same time my characters do.

What’s your approach, my Wicked Luvs: heel-to-toe, heel-to-toe on a straight line or a wild dance that makes perfect sense to you and your muse? 

“Organized Chaos” by Tyler Schmeling

15 comments:

  1. It is interesting reading about different people's approaches to writing. At one point in my life, about 3 years ago, I always started at the end. I knew where I wanted to go, I just wasn't sure how to get there. Then I sat down and sketched/introduced my leading woman (most often), and then the light posts came out from the fog one by one to light my way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very low percentage of my stories have male leads. I never really thought about that. How curious...

      Delete
  2. Happens to me all the time. It's part of the reason I have such a difficult time actually completing a story - my mind jumps ahead or behind and the in-between parts become more difficult than they're worth. My muse doesn't *want* to get my characters from point A to point C through point B... she wants to skip point B altogether because A and C are more interesting and more fun to write. Blegh!

    -Fox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might work on 5 things at the same time, and approach each from a different angle, but I always have to finish them. I get frustrated if I don't. It's a good thing most of the time, not so much when I need to go to bed.

      Delete
  3. The only way that I can solve a maze (of any sort) is to start at the designated end & move backwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I've never tried that. I will start from the end next time. And see how it feels. The Little Princess might enjoy it, too. ;-)

      Delete
  4. I take the rule that if it's boring to write, it's probably boring to read and edit accordingly. Knowing another writer who wants to get straight to the good stuff, I suggested you hold it out like a doggy treat, and reward yourself when you get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My treats are usually the sexy scenes and the action scenes. Yum!

      Delete
  5. I really don't write, except blogs intermittently... But I just sit, think, I've got nothing to say, and then write anyway, and try to tie it it something (eg party post, Sunshine blog award - cough, cough-I'll get there promise)... I actually love to write, but just short things I guess, and I admire writers, their craft, prowess at spelling LOL, and commitment.... But I can tell you, chaos is definitely me, the only time I feel like my head is in order is when I am creating art, I sorta like that, I like things to be ordered around me because inside my head is often like a freaky ride at a theme park... Lucky for me I like theme parks ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your theme park brain is full of colors and extra exciting fun. I could spend days in there. Well, I have. Yes, and it's awesome. I shall get the year-long pass!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Let the rooms begin the fun, then ;-F

      Delete
    2. That was supposed to be a happy face at the end, lol!

      Delete
  7. LOL! Sure Magaly ;o) LOL!

    ReplyDelete