Growing Ivy in a Piano

I had scheduled a different post for today… Then Tess Kincaid flashed flirty toes on piano keys, and I felt an intense urge to share a quote from Pre-Chaos, one of my works in progress:

“Standing in front of my kitchen sink, with Eme still glowering at me from one of his shoulders, Leo Drake looked like the statue of a wide-eyed twenty-first century Goth deity. ‘What is this place?’

‘I call it a kitchen,’ I said, but Leo’s doubtful expression told me that my sarcastic nonchalance wasn’t going to cut it. I didn’t entertain much, so I wasn’t used to his reaction. In two years, no one but Sweettooth had been in my home. I followed Leo’s eyes, and guessed that after seeing Old Tori’s weathered exterior, most people would assume that the inside of my house matched its dilapidated façade.

‘And this is just a flowerpot, right?’ Leo ran a hand over the side of the red mahogany piano, which Sweettooth and I had upcycled into a planter. It housed a Canary Island ivy plant whose vines had claimed every inch of my kitchen’s south wall, except the glass window behind the sink.”

The photo made me think of simple magic… of playful love… and of instruments that do more than what they were created to do…
via Magpie Tales, for Mag 205

28 comments:

  1. And obviously they're playing Fats Waller. Like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in1eK3x1PBI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, a piano planter sounds gorgeous!
    Love the image :)

    I hope you're having a lovely day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can almosr taste the hands of the grandmother clock melting , Magally ...cheerio

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this scene, and I find that image to be very sexy! ;-)~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Sexy!" was the first thing I said when I saw the photo. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Love the Photo! I thought this was you up to your tantalizing tricks again! xoDebi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Imaginative and original; well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice. "and of instruments that do more than what they were created to do…" I'm with you on that! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! Now i need a piano to house a huge ivy in my appartment! I think my husband will evict me, but that would be ok, because i would sleep in a bed of black and white keys and ivy leaves...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you can bring the piano in one key at a time, lol!

      Delete
  9. & now I'm wondering how to waterproof a piano......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both the words and the image are gorgeous! Vivacity frozen in a moment. So many questions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great image!!! Very playful and sexy! Love your words! Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "playful and sexy," indeed... great minds and all. ;-D

      Delete
  12. It'd take some watering but a piano planter in my back garden sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we can figure out an irrigation system that will leave the whole thing sounding like a dream. ;-D

      Delete
  13. Thoroughly enjoyed your little preview...thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh totally awesome! I agree the picture is truly sexy!

    ReplyDelete