Best Gods-Full Urban Fantasy I’ve ever Read... and Stuff

-         American Gods by Neil Gaiman (1. Best gods-full urban fantasy I’ve ever read)
-         The Book Thief by Markus Suzak (2. It made me cry on the bus… for hours)
-         City of Beasts by Isabel Allende
-         Devil May Cry by Sherrilyn Kenyon
-         Earth (The Book): A Visitor’s Guide to the Human Race by Jon Stewart (3. Hahaha!)
-         Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman
-         Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
-         His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (4. I adore the books; the movie not so much)
-         I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett
-         Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke
-         King of the Murgos by David Eddings
-         Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel (5. I want to cook every recipe in the book)
-         Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
-         New Spring by Robert Jordan (6. My favorite book in The Wheel of Time series)
-         One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez
-         Practical Magic by Alice Huffman (7. The book and the movie are both yummy!) 
-         Quiroga, The Decapitated Chicken” (8. One of the stories that inspired me to write)
-         Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown
-         Swallowing Darkness by Laurell K. Hamilton
-         The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (9. My favorite quote in a novel)
-         Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett
-         Valley of Silence by Nora Roberts
-         Wicked by Gregory Maguire (10. A socio-political book club’s green-skinned dream)
-         Xero, Writing in the Dark
-         You Suck by Christopher Moore
-         The Zebra Storyteller by Spencer Holst (11. The first Z title that came to mind)

Was it very weird to start reading a list with no introduction? Just wondering… In case you are as curious as yours truly, those are the 26 bits about me—from A to Z—required by an award nomination I received from My Moonlit Path (thank you, Autumn!). The info in parentheses, from 1 to 11, fulfils the second award. No, my Wicked Luvs, I’m not lazy. I’m crafty.  

I’m forwarding these awards to Narrator, the mastermind dwelling at The Narrator’s Study. He has been hibernating (or procrastinating with purpose) for way too long. Why am I nominating only one person? Well, because I’m feeling a tad lazy, um… I mean, extra crafty! *cough, cough, cough*

      
 “Persephone Rising” by Shannon Valentine and “Spring” by SunshineShelle, respectively
You think Old Man Winter is getting the message?
I hope so. All this snow is getting ridiculous... Let me add some bunnies for emphasis.

Thanks again, Autumn Earthsong. You rocketh very mucho ;-)

24 comments:

  1. Outside the Bones by Lyn Di Orio needs to be on this list. You turned me on to that book, prima.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we only had more Os, primo. ;-D

      Delete
  2. Have you every read Charles de Lint? If not you should look into his books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I discovered Charles de Lint through Memory and Dream about 15 years ago. It was love at first read. Then I read everything I found by him. His books are some of those I read and reread and reread again. What's your favorite title by him?

      Oh, I was quite taken by his essay on Cultural Appropriation, too.

      Delete
  3. My middle daughter got me into Gaiman.. I am reading American Gods, and it is unbelievable... I love how he develops his characters... also have Anansi Boys awaiting... You have a great list there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WoooHooo! Another Gaiman-addict-to-be! Can't wait until you finish American Gods and tell me what you think. And Anansi Boys is delicious!! After that, you can delight in The Ocean at the End of the Lane, The Graveyard Book and all the rest of his yumminess. ;-D

      Delete
  4. Great List! Two more books go on MY must read list thanks to FB friends! Keep passing on the Spring! time Joy! xoDebi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never have too many books in your to-be-read pile. So add, add, add and read on! Goodness knows I will. ;-D

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the awards, Magaly! The only book on the list that I've read is (of course) Rubyfruit Jungle. But I intend to read American Gods hopefully sometime soon. Maybe this decade?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, gracias. I have a feeling you'll enjoy American Gods. By the way, have you finished Moby-Dick yet?

      Delete
  6. Sí, grandes joyas de la literatura, mi favorito es Como agua para chocolate de Laura Esquivel !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura Esquivel es fabulosa. Y Como agua para chocoloate es uno de mis favoritos de ella. La película también me encanata!

      Delete
  7. A very compelling list it is.
    I am reading daily but wish life gave me more hours in each day.

    It is interesting to see what works have perhaps influenced you in even a small way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I ever get a wish, it will probably be more time: to read, to write, to experience, to learn...

      I think one of the most wonderful things to read other people's blogs (and online interaction) is to see what touches their lives and how the information gets consumed if at all. Constant learning. ;-)

      Delete
  8. Are all those books about gods and mythos? I've heard of a few of them, but haven't read any. (But I'm not a gods/mythos/angels fan.) I hope you coax Narrator from his hibernation cave. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They aren't, Lexa. I need to confess that I pasted the wrong title (it was supposed to be "One Shot, Three Kills," as in awards, book list and getting Narrator out of hiding, lol). It was scheduled, and by the time I saw the title it was too late.

      The only book that might fit your description, and in a very non-traditional sense, is Good Omens. But it's more "Paradise Lost" gone wild than anything else. I think I remember you saying that you enjoy hearing/reading about myths from other cultures, well, it doesn't get better than American Gods and One Hundred Years of Solitude. These two novels present myth and godly things in ways, well... you have to read them. Pure yum!

      Delete
    2. Now, see, there's a fair dose of personal pride in being SO lazy that I can inspire others to do work. Thank you, Magaly for nominating me (And making me DO something to interrupt all this wonderful doing-nothing). Humor aside, it was both crafty and kind and I'll do my best to have something up very soon. As for my procrastination..."Procrastination with purpose" belongs on a T-shirt. I'll be using that. Thanks again!

      Delete
    3. "Inspirational Laziness" and "Procrastination with purpose," two T-shirts, lol!

      I'm glad to see you out of your cave. I'm dying to know what's happening with my favorite people from long ago (yes, I'm talking about Mabel).

      Yay! for craftiness ;-D

      Delete
    4. Mabel is chugging along. I have that long-delayed teaser ready, but she's a big girl, even in a corset. I'm going to announce on the Study soon, however, that Rhissa and I have FINISHED something. So, that's been my focus lately. Clearing it up, editing and such. The plan is to release this new thing(See me teasing?) in Book One, Two, Three format. But Mabel isn't forgotten. She's just bigger than I thought. Thank you for the Nomination. I did need something to post and posting editing reports that amounted to "Not done! Kill me!" seemed the wrong way to go. The award doesn't come with a cash prize, by chance? No?

      Delete
    5. I can't wait to see Mabel in all her published glory! Of course there is money in the award, I'm saving it to by Mabel's tale. (I typed "tail" first, lol).

      Delete
  9. Congratulations and now that I've tracked this to its source, thanks, Magaly! Thank you a bunch! Mr N nominated me for each of my current blogs. Now I have to write three blog posts...

    (Oh, nice book list, BTW!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the awards Magaly ;o)

    ReplyDelete