Star Wars Rite of Passage

My father sings silly songs to me when we speak on the phone. The singing started when I was sixteen, right after I moved to the United States. I didn’t like all the noise and the lights of the city. In the Dominican Republic, night was pitch black and serenaded by the sweet and mildly creepy crawlers of the night. I missed home so much… and I had trouble falling asleep.

My Dad was a cook when I moved to the US. He rarely got home before midnight. On school nights, he would call me on the phone and sing silly songs: “La chiquitica de su papá, la chiquitica de su papa se va a dormir y a tener sueñitos bonitos. La chiquitica de su papá.” (Daddy’s little girl, daddy’s little girl is going to sleep and to have pretty dreams. Daddy’s little girl).

He might have one of the worse singing voices Ive ever heard, but his songs would always send me to bed giggling. And more often than not, I would have pretty dreams. He still sings to me when we talk on the phone. It’s our thing—tuneless father and daughter bonding that means the world to me… and to him, too, I believe.

The Little Princess and my Piano Man share a mutual love of Star Wars. They play the video games, build LEGO models, read the books, watch the movies… and they love it. I think a father and a daughter (a parent and a child) should have that kind of private bonding time, so I usually stay away when they are fighting dark evils in a galaxy far, far away…

…but a few nights ago, I leaned against the Piano, spying and grinning like a happy loon. I enjoyed watching the Little Princess and my Piano Man as they stared at the Return of the Jedi while their dinner got cold… I wondered how long it would be before the Little Princess realizes that dinner and a Star Wars movie is something special that belongs only to her and her Daddy. I can’t wait for the day when she understands just how valuable that is. He already knows, I believe.  

38 comments:

  1. What a sweet slice of your life you just shared with us. Yes that child parent bonding is quite special, I miss those special times with my daddy, our thing was fishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fishing with daddy... I can almost see you wearing a hat and great smile. ;-)

      Delete
  2. That's..that was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for Star Wars families! Fighting with the rebels, light against dark, good against bad, it's the perfect fairy tale. I'm sure they'll both grow up and look back on this as a special time; a long, time ago in a galaxy far far away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet she'll grow up sooner. ;-D

      Delete
  4. Beautiful insight into your family life. Your own Dad sounds wonderful! Did he also enjoy cooking at home? As for the noisy nights in your new home when you were 16 I had the opposite problem when I moved to the Yukon. The quiet was so absolute for the first few months (I arrived in the spring) that I rode my bike miles out to some of the creeks just to hear the water flowing. Eventually I adjusted - as you did. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While growing up, I always preferred raw fruits and vegetables. So my dad will bring a bag of apples and I would eat about 10 (no joke), while my dad and I watched old Westerns and ridiculous comedies. The good old days...

      Delete
  5. I think, no, I KNOW she already knows... kids are so darn smart, the things they will say/do at the least expected moment.. Believe me, if u know, she knew way before you two did! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will never forget the time my son when he was 7 told me he wanted to play baseball.. I was shocked since he showed no desire before.. I asked him why and he said " Dad likes baseball and I thought it might bring us closer together"... Can u believe that? a 7 yr. old telling me that?

      Delete
    2. Your son's words brought my hand to my chest...

      Delete
  6. This touches my soul, Magaly. My Father passed when I was just 15, I still miss him every day. It is memories of moments like you've described that keep him in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes indeed -- so special! I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. :) Geek culture is how our family bonds in general, but it is sweet to see my hubby bond with the kids through cooking and baking. My daughter especially loves kitchen time with dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kitchen is a very delicious bonding spot. ;-)

      Delete
  9. What a sweet thing your Father does! Mine died when I was 21 and I have so many regrets of time not spent together nor questions asked.

    Being a Star Wars junkie (as well as LOTR's & Harry Potter) I can certainly understand the thrall they are in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Star Wars, LOTR & Harry Potter? If you say Star Trek, too, I will have to claim you as family!

      Delete
  10. You and The Princess are both blessed souls. Never had a moment with my Dad that I think is worth remembering. But I had the joy you felt, when I watched Shelley and Sweet Man build villages and environments in the forest when we would go camping. We would come back the next week and they would begin again.
    Precious memories. Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you saved some pictures! It would be great to see them!

      Delete
    2. Then again, I can feel them through your words... ;-)

      Delete
  11. absolutely lovely, dear. as always, thank you for sharing.
    ~Sunfire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always very welcome. ;-)

      Delete
  12. This made me smile the whole time I was reading it, and it touched my heart. Thanks, Magaly!

    Blessings,

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so truly special! My heart is smiling! Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and when your heart smiles, my soul dances!

      Delete
  15. Nice, ours was greyhounds and racetracks, and select poems (old Shep, Blue Velvet Band, Lasca) true tales of murder and mystery (LOL repeated to my children) and Frank Frazetta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "true tales of murder and mystery"? Yum!

      Delete
  16. My sons and I did this as well. Three of us, the middle, the youngest and me, share a geeky obsession with Star Wars and anything involving Star Wars. We watch the movies (even the 3 prequels) 4 times a year. Now that the middle is gone from home, I wonder if he will remember the set days that we watched them, and will toss his copies in the player. :) We also shared gaming, and my youngest is trying to talk me into doing a Mom/Son YouTube with him where Mom and Son play and review video games together. Not sure if I will.

    Very cute picture, and an awesome time in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From generation to generation, parents and children share their "geeky obsession with Star Wars, into a galaxy far, far away. *hehehe*

      Delete
  17. It is so cute when a father and daughter bond. My oldest and her dad bond over superhero movies and music. It is so great to see them talk about it. She loves that bond with her dad. My youngest bonds with her dad with horror movies and the Walking Dead. They love the walking dead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Superheroes, music, horror movies and The Walking Dead that sounds like a party waiting to happen. ;-D

      Delete