Thorn in Red, the Story that Lived

When I first shared Thorn in Red, I described it as “an accident.” Rewriting the story, over and over, pushed me to accept that my initial assessment was wrong; I needed Thorn in Red. It was something Dumbledore said in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince that helped me reach that conclusion: “Age is foolish and forgetful when it underestimates youth.”

Let me explain…

My superego spent considerable time telling me things like:
- “This character is only seventeen. She shouldn’t do this…” (so I made her older)
- “Other characters in this genre wouldn’t act like this…” (so I modified their actions)
- “Readers might be too shocked by the rather uncanny happenings…” (so I turned it trendy)
And there was a lot more, my Wicked Darlings. So much, that by the time I finished butchering Thorn in Red into what my superego thought the story should be, the tale read unnatural and dull—my Muse and I were completely disgusted (and a bit ashamed). We edited the damage.   

The madness didn’t stop there…

A few weeks ago, some writer friends and I were discussing pricing. Almost everyone involved in the conversation suggested that I was underpricing AlmaMia Cienfuegos and Other Stories. Someone said, “I avoid buying $0.99 books. Most sell for that little because they have little to offer. Just try selling the story for $1.99 for a couple of days, maybe a week,” he said. “I bet more people will read it. If it doesn’t work, it was just a failed experiment. No one loses.”

I pondered for a while, and convinced myself to give the idea a try…

Last night, I decided to raise the price of AlmaMia Cienfuegos and Other Stories to $1.99. And as I write this post, Thorn in Red costs the same amount.

I didn’t sleep well…

The first thing I did, this morning, was change AlmaMia Cienfuegos and Other Stories back to $0.99. As soon as Amazon lets me, I will set the price of Thorn in Red to match AlmaMia’s.

You might laugh at my reasons… Nah, not you—we get along so well because we embrace our nutty bliss, don’t we? But laughing is a wonderful thing, so if what I’m getting ready to tell you makes you roar, just throw your head back, gobble up the mirth and consider its yumminess my Winter Solstice present to you.

Wondering what I’m talking about? Well, while I was trying to get some rest, I dreamed about Dumbledore’s words *I’m totally grinning right now*. He didn’t say the exact thing I quoted above, but a modified version concocted by a Muse raging with indignation: foolishness can dress up as common sense, just to trick you (and by “you” the Muse means “me”) into believing that you are doing something that is not only right but that doing so also makes you happy. And that, my Wicked Luvs, is a lot of doo-doo; because the price change made me unhappy, extremely verbose *cough, cough* and left me a tad mortified.

At the moment, Thorn in Red is available at Amazon for $1.99 (and mislabeled as “Juvenile Fiction”). You can be totally hardcore and get the ebook now, if you like… However, if you wait a few hours, you will be able to purchase the dark young adult fantasy tale for $0.99.  

So… How is your day going?
Did you get your copy yet?

Edited - 12/21/13 - Thorn in Red is $0.99.
Hope you delight in the tale. Spread the word. Grin often.
My day, um... night just got way better ;-)

Mattalina Thorn gets a red dress hoodie and an ax.
Bran Van Dyke has a book and a quest.
She reads and he plots.
They kiss. They love. They kill.
Matt and Bran choose to live the tale that changes all Story Realms...

25 comments:

  1. I'm really liking that necklace......Also, irritated with myself for making a rookie mistake: kept chocolate in the over a minute too long & the batch seized. Did finally admit to myself that, while November hung around forever, Dec. didn't. So, my few little packages will wait until next Friday to be mailed....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't wrapped presents yet. Or sent cards. Or pretty much done anything... December is a mess.

      Delete
  2. Love the cover Magaly, as you know I'll be buying it asap regardless of price :) Happy Yule!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it wonderful? Shelle did such an amazing job. And she did it fast, too. Always amazing. Hope you like the revisions and additions. Can't wait to read your review *cough, cough*

      Delete
  3. Never to busy for something fab to read! I'm on a roll, I thank Gina for my new awareness and now I have many wonderful tales to venture off toooooooo! Stop second guessing! The first (thought is the correct one!) is the true one.....
    Must run.....eggnog loaf to finish and ducking nerf bullets! Huge Hugs! xoDebi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina is a bundle of awesome. I wonder what she's up to, today... I hope she isn't sick again.

      Eggnog loaf sounds yummy!

      Delete
  4. As soon as SM lets me open my new paperwhite.....it's mine. So I guess that kinda means, your work will be my Christmas day present. Who could ask for anything better? Not I said the Happy Oma.
    I hope you and your beloveds enjoy your celebration of Solstice and look towards the coming back of the sun with anticipation. much love and new light, Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New reader and new tale, what a treat! You need to tell me all about your new gadget, m'luv. I might have to follow your steps... Hugs!

      Delete
  5. Stunning cover and it sounds interesting. I'll check out the link.

    Happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelle is amazing., isn't she? And wait until you see the necklace she used as a model. I love it.

      Delete
  6. What Honest, beautiful Sharing . . THANK YOU. By the time i read your post (6:29PM) your stories were .99 - (I rushed, thinking i could purchase at the higher price . . but, NOPE - you had already gifted us. I look forward to reading your work.
    Love, Illumination, Inspiration and JOY to YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! I hope you enjoy the reading. I would love to hear about it.

      And honest is better, and so much less complicated lol

      Delete
  7. Couldn't wait for Christmas. Happy Solstice to ME!!! Purchased, glass of wine in hand, now I'm off to read. Oh and don't feel bad, I'm not ready for the holiday either. Haven't send a card or wrapped a present. Finally got some decorating done today.

    Hugs and blessings to you and yours.
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know what? Wine and a little Thorn in Red sounds yummy to me. I might have to copy your style. ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's two in the morning, I can't sleep, and now the bed is getting crowded. Mattalina, Bran, Angeles, Jena, and Kassia are great company for an insomniac.

    Shelle's cover art is as gorgeous in greyscale on my old Kindle as it is in vibrant color on my PC. I just HAD to get out of bed to let you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a really huge bed!

      Shelle's cover is magnificent. And my Kindle Keyboard is black and white, too, and wow! that little ax shines just as bright.

      Delete
  10. Oh yes, my love. I just read this post, rushed to Amazon and made my purchase of "Thorn in Red", and returned to tell you I AM SO EXCITED!!! Honey, I hope you sell millions. This is such a wonderful story, and told extremely well. Wishing you a blessed solstice, my love. Mina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! I hope you enjoy the reading and tell everyone about it. *cough, cough*

      Delete
  11. I do love that cover!
    I'll get my daughter's Kindle registered on my Amazon very soon.
    I'm excited about reading this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelle has a way to make the shiny even shinier, doesn't she?
      I'm excited about you reading, too. Hope it's great fun for you!

      Delete
  12. 'Twas my honor to read it. It was a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Magaly, I was going to buy your book, but it says I have to have kindle? The other book I won off of you, I didn't need kindle. Let me know what to do, please ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, I'm not sure. You should be able to read it with your Kindle App for PC. Did you get a new computer? If you did, then you have to download the application again.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Magaly, I will check ;o)

      Delete