Logic? What Logic?

Thirteen months of reading, writing and dreaming dark fiction… and every now and again, trying to come up with art for Darcy’s Artful Readers Club. Okay, thirteen minus one month… It’s just that I dislike the number that comes before thirteen, and I’m all for changing the things that hurt no one but make me happier than I already am… so I fudged the number.

The first book I picked for my December Artful Readers Club entry was Krampus. That lasted about three weeks. I love BROM’s retelling of the Yule Lord’s tale, but not enough to make it my last ARC bit for 2013. I tried Visions of Sugar Plums, but nah… Stephanie Plum always rocks, but I was too immersed in my own Thorn in Red to think about getting all arty with someone else’s story. So I told myself, You silly witchy writer woman, why not review your own book? 

I did it… 
              …I liked it
                                  …and here it is:

the experimental blurb
Mattalina Thorn gets a red dress hoodie and an ax.
Bran Van Dyke has a book and a quest.
She reads and he plots.
They kiss. They love. They kill.
Matt and Bran choose to live the tale that changes all Story Realms...

the review
Sixteen-year-old Mattalina Thorn grows up believing that she is one third of a typical 21st century family. Her mother, Angeles Thorn, leaves the military to start a life coaching and security agency with Mattalina’s aunt, Jena Thorn, after the latter decides that she no longer wants to be a counselor for the wealthy. All is perfect for Mattalina… Until right before her seventeenth birthday, when someone takes a knife to Aunt Jena’s face and no one is telling Mattalina why.

Bran Van Dyke knows he is different from most eighteen-year-olds. While other boys his age graduate from high school, play sports and perhaps flirt, Bran is training to become the protector of the family to whom the Van Dykes owe their freedom. He likes his role in life… And when he gets reacquainted with the youngest—and most excitable—of the Thorns, Bran goes from liking his role to absolutely loving it.

But in war, love and Stories things are rarely what they seem… In Thorn in Red, typical becomes uncanny very quickly: reality is crafted by imagination tradition uses fresh and deadly methods to preserve the old ways Matt and Bran enter a realm where life and progress depend on death, on the reshaping of ancient lore, and on the heart of a couple of teenagers.      
     
the final thoughts
The “experimental blurb” was a cute idea, but it might be too vague to awaken readers’ interest. I enjoy the neck-braking pace of the story. Yet, I should probably rethink my selfish-Aries-ways, and remember that other people might feel overwhelmed by action that never stops. All in all, I love Thorn in Red. Then again, my opinion might be a tad biased. *cough, cough, cough and cough*

My thirteenth (minus 1) entry for the Artful Readers Club is a quote from Thorn in Red and the photograph of the doorway that inspired “Flashed Back,” the sixth chapter in the novella:
She who knows her own story tries to change it.
Endings and goodbyes hurt like death;
death kills change.
Lies for love save lives dangerously.
Logically, love never conquers all.
“Logic? What logic?”
says Love as it eats Never with a piece of birthday cake.

…plus Mattalina’s Ax and Butterscotch necklace, created by my imagination and crafted to life by the talented hands of Eliora. If you love it, enter this giveaway before December 29th, 2013, at 10:13 pm EST, for the chance to win it. Read on, my Wicked Luvs, and bring stories to life ;-)
 

If anyone calls the ellipsis police, I’m doomed…

31 comments:

  1. I bought "Thorn in Roses" haven't read it YET! So I don't want you to spoil it for me...and I didn't enter cause I hate disappointment, I love meeting you, but you must wait for ME! Not as quick as you, OLDER!, I will say, if it's half the story the last one was! You continue to enchant this reader! xoxoDebi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can read this post without fear of spoilers, dear Prudence. It won't ruin the story. In fact, I think I will polish the "review" and make it the novella's blurb.

      Delete
  2. I love your review, it's much better than the one I did on Amazon, but in the end the fact is I love "Thorn In Red" it has become guilty pleasure, when I'm board, upset, mad as hell, it all fades away when I read "Thorn" and selfishly I hope there will be more Matt & Bran adventures to come:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your review is MUCH better to me. I love knowing how much you love this characters, and feel very happy telling you that your very delicious "selfishness" might be satisfied soon. ;-D

      Delete
  3. I have had dreams that have involved many of the scenes and some of the characters from Thorn in Red....for the past 2 nights, ever since I read it. I loved every moment of both times I read it. I will now let the others in my household have a chance to read it as well. Thanks for your review. You see the reader and the writer agree but see things from different perspectives. Ain't life grand????????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing a little dance as I wait to read what the rest of the family has to say about Thorn in Red. It's always sooo exciting.

      I'm happy you love it. I do, too. And maybe the pace is just right ;-D

      Delete
  4. I feel I've missed out, since I have never heard of Thorn in Red, but I certainly want to read it. Since I feel most books move too slowly for me, I am confident this is just the thing I need to read now that the excitement of the holidays are nearly over.

    As always, I find your art refreshing. I was glad to read that "never" was eaten, since it's often used in such a negative context.

    Happy New Year, dear Magaly. I'm going to miss our monthly adventures together. It's been a fun time and I'll still be back often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the Thorn in Red and hunger more Matt and Bran. They are fun characters with deliciously dark ways.

      I, too, was happy to see "never" all eaten up. Some things should just be put where they belong ;-)

      May your New Year be full of wonder!

      Delete
  5. Hahahaha...shameless self pimpage!!!! But having had the honour of reading the finished piece already, I can happily recommend this mind blowing rampage of a story. Fabulous characters and wonderful twists :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame? What's that? Hehehe. I wanted to do the other books, but for some reason I was feeling way to full of myself LOL. Sometimes, we just have to let our whims be ;-D

      Delete
  6. Waiting for my new charger so that the Kindle lives once more......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WoooHooo!
      May you get some lightening, too.

      Delete
  7. I'm going to download it to my Kindle after this comment. Such a talented lady you are, Megaly...and such fun to "know!" Thanks for your wonderful reviews throughout the year...I look forward to seeing more of you popping up on the "successful new author" circuit!! Happy Holidays and hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the reading, Abby J. I reread my own stuff quite a bit, and must say that Thorn in Red might be the one I reread the most, and just for the mere pleasure of it. Such fun characters in an enchanted world.

      Holiday hugs to you and yours!

      Delete
  8. Great review Magaly ;o))) You are so cute!! Once I figure out what happened with my computer, I will be reading your story ;o) Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like all genres, though, mostly enjoy a fast paced read and Thorn in Red sounds about my speed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you give it a go... and let me know how you like it ;-)

      Delete
  10. I like the experimental-but-not blurb. I wish you and your family a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy and prosperous 2014 right back at you!

      Delete
  11. I like when authors go back and review their own work. Neil Gaiman does a run through like that in the foreword to 'Fragile Things'.

    I was wondering: Did you get the card I sent you?

    Have a wonderful New Year's Eve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, isn't it? I forgot. Now I'm more excited about rereading Fragile Things!

      I received my card. thanks a million! I've been trying to figure out the numbers lol. I guess I might as well give up and ask you what they mean. *sigh*

      Have a great 2014. I hope your mind is clear for all the decisions that must be made.

      Delete
    2. They are Advent numbers :) We light one candle each of the four Sundays leading up to Jul. You can see my Advent candle holder in my final challenge post.

      You can tie them around candles next year, or put them on the tree - or just do whatever you want with them!

      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  12. Sounds like a fascinating read. Have a lovely Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whom better than ourselves to critique us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a lovely exercise, even if most of us aren't that great at it. I've gotten less terrible with practice, methinks.

      Delete
  14. Not knowing that you were a published writer I found your post doubly interesting to read. Enjoyed all the read, as I always do with your posts, though sadly for royalties I am not a reader of the genre. I liked the 'blurb' though I can see that the review would be more acceptable to most people. I hope you use the artwork which is great. As for reviewing your own book …… well, I've always said, if you want to read a good book, read one of your own.
    I was sorry to miss the last two or three months of the year's reviewing, but life most definitely got in the way and there was no time at all for reading. So let's hope that Darcy has something good in mind for 2014

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew that about "reading one of your own." It makes perfect sense.

      We shall delight in each other's readings in 2014, too. I will be reading a lot of historical fiction and non-fiction (doing research for my next novel), so I think you might like those a bit. I'm currently reading A People's History of the United States: 1492 to Present, by Howard Zinn, and have founded it quite enjoyable and disturbingly interesting.

      Delete
  15. An interesting exercise, the self review. Not one I'd be brave enough to undergo myself. Editing my work is hard enough, but asking myself what I thought of it? I'd only hurt my own feelings. Still, it was a fine post and fun to read. Happy 13th month to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it effective. Not easy though. I've found myself trying to justify, um... my own shortcomings. Weird, isn't it? But after a few re-readings, I get start accepting that in order to get closer to pure yum, I have to admit that this and that could be better, or at least different.

      Happy 13th month to you, too. Hehehe.

      Delete