In a Good Place…

I woke up exhausted. Yesterday’s workout did a number on me. Sometimes, I forget that my right shoulder and I are a tad crippled. But my rotator cuff howled a red-hot throbbing reminder.

So I gave me and my sore shoulder the day off from writing… and planned to nap for an indecent amount of time. Then, as I was beginning to fall asleep, the Muse whispered in my ear: “The scene doesn’t work because you insist on killing Character X. He must live, Wicked Witch Writer.”

I jumped out of bed—really, my Wicked Luvs, I went from lying down to standing up in one graceful jump (my mind’s eye is quite generous). I powered up my laptop, and wrote for hours…

2,928 words later, a character I almost killed saved my tale. He also showed me that I might be the storyteller, but those who populate the worlds I write into existence are the story-makers.

By the way, I’m pretty sure I’m totally in love with a character I almost murdered. I hope things don’t get too awkward between us. I mean, Its not like wrote his head off or anything…

Yes, Im off to bed before this bit of sweet delirium gets out hand. The Muse is already snoring. 
I love when the Muse and I are in a good place.
I also love this spot in the woods; a lot.

22 comments:

  1. You do have a bit of a habit when it comes to killing off cool characters don't you :D....How is Sweet tooth doing anyway? XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for the insistence of muses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days that wild lady and I need to exchange some words. And she won't be the only one doing the talking.

      Delete
  3. Don't u just love it when the unexpected happens???I can imagine the ideas flowing from your head... Maybe the pain played a part in it? Gave u time to rest... and the magic happened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what? I didn't think of that. It is possible that I was in so much pain that the part of my brain that controls my stubbornness (a huge part) had to submit for a while. Curious...

      Delete
    2. I have learned EVERYTHING plays a part no matter how small it may seem.... :-)

      Delete
  4. I know how you feel. There are days I want to kill the one I love. Fortunately, for all of us, we just write another chapter to the story.

    Life mimics art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not just obedience to the muse but nearly 3,000 words!
    It sounds inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Muse gets really loud around these parts. It's listen or pull your hair out... I like my hair ;-)

      Delete
  6. Goodness, it is a wonder that you sleep at all. Inspiration keeps seeking your attention. Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I wonder about my sleeping habits, too...

      Delete
  7. Oh, I understand this a lot. Especially when they savagely poke you out of sleep, making demands like truculent toddlers, or pointing out huge torn holes in the plot and (bless 'em) offer a solution. How did this extra burst of writing help the shoulder? I hope it's healing; we all suffer for our Muse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what they say about writers and schizophrenics...

      The shoulder is on fire. I had another long day today. And my head won't stop. Perhaps, a little later, after another hot shower and some boring reading, the body and the mind will give in...

      Delete
  8. What a gorgeous spot in the woods ;o) I am happy you and your muse are in a good place ;o) Big Hugs and take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that place. I particularly enjoy the fact that it is really close to the house.

      Thanks for the big hug. I needed one of those .-)

      Delete
  9. Such bursts of inspiration are the best. Happy writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed. I treasure them, even after they leave me half-delicious ;-)

      Delete
  10. How awesome! Your muse is so smart! Love how she helped this story and the twist she threw at you sounds like it worked! Great picture too! Best of luck!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a capricious (but often helpful) one. She can decide to take over at rather unfortunate times, but we need to take what we can get, right?

      Thanks for the good wishes!

      Delete