Cheese and Walnut Cassava Balls for the Winter Solstice

“Dull November brings the blast,
Then the leaves are whirling fast.”
~ Sara Coleridge
And blasting through red whirling leaves, cheerful December dances in; the bright Winter Solstice riding on its gilded tail. So… my Wicked Luvs, can you tell that I’m on yummy festive mood?

I’m not the only one drunk on holiday good spirits. Ms Misantropia is cheering, too. She even asked her blog friends, How Do You Celebrate? I can answer her question with one word: food. But I am a witchy woman of many words *cough, cough, cough* so let me elaborate.

In my heart, holidays are for decadence; to enjoy extra time with the ones we love, to delight in a rich dish (or three) and to bedeck our homes and ourselves with a few extra bits of yumminess. Laughing Vixen Lounge’s 2nd Annual Christmas a Go-Go Giveaway is offering all kinds of things to deck up the body: eye shadow, nail polish, jewelry, perfume… The giveaway goes from the 1st of December to the 15th. Yep, in time to get all sparkly for the winter holidays.

No, my Wicked Luvs, I have not forgotten about the felicity of our tummies. I’ve made some Cheese and Walnut Cassava Balls to share with you. 
Actually, um… I ate them. I was hungry. But here is the recipe *rubs happy tummy and grins*:
I know I said balls, but... I wanted one with an extra ginormous hunk of cheese, so I cheated :-( 
          Ingredients  
          - 1 lb. of cassava
          - ¼ lb. of cheddar cheese in cubes
          - ¼ cup of floor
          - 1 egg (beaten *until it screams for mercy*)
          - 1 tbsp. of butter
          - ¼ cup of milk  
          - ½ tsp. of fresh dill
          - 5 walnuts (crushed)
          - Vegetable oil (enough for deep frying the balls *grins wickedly*)
          - Water (for boiling the cassava)
- Salt

          Preparation
Peel the cassava. Boil it in water with salt. When the cassava is tender, remove it from the water and mash. Add the butter, dill and milk, and continue pureeing until all the lumps are gone. Let it cool before mixing in the walnuts. Scoop about two tablespoons of the mixture into your hand. Flatten the lump until it resembles a small, thick pancake, place a cheese cube in the middle and shape the mixture into a ball around the cheese. Dip the ball into the beaten egg, roll in the flour and get rid of the excess. Put in the fridge for about three 3 hours… Heat the oil; fry the balls until they reach that awesome golden brown that looks great on food (but absolutely creep on once light-skinned bodybuilders). Place the balls on a paper towel (unless you have an oil fetish), let them sit for a bit. Serve hot and yummy. 
* This recipe can be prepared a couple of days in advance. Just keep it frozen.
* I’m really bad about preparation time—I get distracted *sigh*—I think it took me about 4 hours (counting the chilling time).
* It yielded 7 servings of 2 balls each.
Aunt Clara’s Kitchen has a delicious Cheese-Filled Cassava Balls recipe. Its not the exact same recipe, but her pictures and instructions are way better than mine.
* Not balls were crushed during the creation of this post ;-) 

Wait! Don’t run to the kitchen yet, my Wicked Luvs. Laughing Vixen Lounge is waiting for you to stop by and enter the 2nd Annual Christmas a Go-Go Giveaway, and Ms Misantropia wants to show you how her blogger friends celebrate the winter holidays.
   
Happy December, my Luvs, let the Yuletide sweep you off your feet and fill you with mirth! 

17 comments:

  1. I'm actually going to hand this recipe about. It sounds wonderful. I think I'd make something with the stability of TNT if I tried it, but I have a sister who is always making new dishes. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you should share your cooking secrets with Old Stoody ;-D

      Delete
  2. I do not know if I have ever tried cassava. But if it has cheese I am willing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cassava, and the fact that I have to stay away from floor makes me adore it even more.

      Delete
  3. OMGss these sound delicious, Magaly !

    I think I'll make some and put them in the pocket of my jeans. That's the same area they'd end up in if I ate them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Nice to have a treat that's savoury instead of sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always need those in-between treats ;-D

      Delete
  5. I had to look up cassava because I didn't know what it was! lol Thanks for the recipe. Anything with cheese and walnuts and gets fried must be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there I was thinking I was clever when I linked the definition to the ingredients. Hm, I guess I should have linked it to the first appearance of the word...

      Delete
  6. OMG, these look so good! I've never had cassava, and I don't know if we even have it over here - but I'm dying to try them. Deep fried cheese anything is right up my alley :)
    Thanks for sharing and for linking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find some. If you don't, you can do the same with potatoes. I've done it in the past and the taste is yummy, too.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and than you for hosting. I will be there to visit everyone else in a bit ;-)

      Delete
  7. Happy December!! These look so good! I think mom and I will have to try ;o)
    Magaly, I have been hearing about the train crash in New York. I hope you and your loved ones are well!!
    Big Hugs xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you try it. I really love this treat.

      The accident happened just a few miles from where I live, but other than emotionally we were not affected. Thank you for thinking of us. Hugs, right back.

      Delete
  8. So happy everyone is well ;o)

    ReplyDelete