Writing in the Middle of the River

In Why Would a Girl Follow a Boy into the Woods? I shared that I’m halfway through NaNoWriMo 2013. My dear new writer friend, Narrator, congratulated me, and said, “That’s kind of like being in the middle of a river. Can’t go back, must go forward or it’s just going to wash you down stream.”

The comment stayed with me… for yesterday was one of those days when I had to swim in AlmaMia’s world while dying to aim my strokes in a different direction. I stuck with Wishing upon Earth and Bone—yay stubbornness!—even if my heart was wondering about Luna Bravo, Leonardo Drake, Sweetooth, Wendi, J.D. the Butcher, Ele, Eme… Pre-Chaos.

Before I say more, I must point out that I’m very glad to be doing NaNoWriMo; not so much for me, but because the venture persuaded my beloved Kestril to start fleshing out a novel that has been in her mind for some time. After you read it, you’ll see why I’m so excited.

So, if NaNoWriMo-ing is so wonderful, why am I almost sure that I won’t participate in it next year? Easy: what keeps me interested in storytelling (and in writing fast and excitedly) is the fact that I get to switch back and forth between worlds. I love spending a couple of days in the woods of El Monte with AlmaMia, the voices of the Caribbean land, the dead… and then flying to Pre-Chaos, New York, to combat flesheaters and delight in the magic of the Mythica Stones.

I enjoy the freedom of being able to stop in the middle of the river, relishing in the caresses (or gentle smacks) of the current on my skin, while I decide if I want to swim to the other side—at the same speed I had been maintaining—or just backstroke forward while wondering if I want to take a detour (or have a drink with a friend). *Wow, that’s a monster of a sentence, isn’t it? And nope, I am not editing it.*

And this is not about deadlines and speed; if I couldn’t follow routines and meet deadlines, I would starve to death. I’m not sure what it is, exactly. I guess, I just like doing my own thing, in my own way, at my own pace… Does that make any sense to you, my Wicked Luvs?
“1930s typists in a swimming pool with a Royal No.5 (aka The Flatbed) typewriter.”
 
via 
I can’t stop giggling at this image ;-) 

10 comments:

  1. Aw, thank you for the mention, Magaly. And I completely agree with the enjoyment of switching stories. Why stay in one tale when you can have as many as you want. But NaNo is really positive and it's good that so many people are using it to fuel their Muses. Still, I hope your NaNo this year goes well. Keep paddling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paddling and kicking forward, I'm way too bullheaded to be left behind... And yes, NaNo is positive and then some, especially for writers who have problems sticking to a schedule (my usual quota is 1,300 words a day 5-6 days a week, so it is helping me see that I can add a few hundred words without dying). Paddle, paddle ;-D

      Delete
  2. I think your previous post, about writing when it's a flow and writing when it's like squeezing reluctant blood, is absolutely true. Possibly the best things about NaNo are that people are doing this together, there's a real feeling of swimming in the same stream (to continue the metaphor) and that it's a focused time to do it. We have permission, if you like, to do this. However, like anything with a deadline, and I'm with Douglas Adams on those, it does bring a feeling of resentment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've said it (and Douglas Adams, of course)! I think "resentment" is the word. I don't like feeling like I'm being forced to do something. Mind you, that I would be doing the same thing anyway; I just hate someone (or something telling me to do it). It is a weird feeling, but I wonder if AlmaMia feels like I'm pushing her around... When I write this fast--without giving her (us) a break, I feel like I am.

      Delete
  3. Bet those typists aren't about to get their hair wet. Good thing you don't have the same problem :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The anxiety of being surrounded by the stuff and dreading having it touch one's hair... the torture! I write, um... swim underwater ;-D

      Delete
  4. I agree with you totally ;o) It's like me, when I paint! I could have 5 paintings at one time going on or sometimes, I have to walk away and go outside and play ;o) LOL! I like doing my thing ;o) That image is so cute!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing like the freedom of dancing with one's art at the pace we want and when we want. I know that it is not always possible--sometimes I have to meet deadlines that put my nose in the same manuscript until it's done--but I will enjoy when I can. LOL

      And yes, I thought that image was perfect. I want the typewriter, too!

      Delete