Thieving Piles of Non-Imaginative Dung

The other day, I shared this quote:
“Leo took a deep breath, and sang. ‘She was burned by blind hate, then reborn out of the fire. Her charm and darkness keeps me safe; my haunting slayer, my sweet, my dire.’

I moaned and swayed as Leo chanted the lines that had awakened my mythical powers. I summoned the memory of the first evening my magic had manifested. I was seventeen, Leo’s voice streaming out of my stereo, my hands touching all the places that had been warmed by the sound of his words. Eight years ago, my mirror and every glass item in my room had exploded when I did.” ~ Pre-Chaos (WIP)

Because quoting my work in progress can be as satisfying as exploding mirrors… almost ;-)

A Wicked Darling left a comment, asking, “Dear heart, are you not worried of idea or story thieving? Since I timidly joined FB, I am concerned for many of my creative talents. This has concerned me more and more as I (simple northern crone) has seen reproduction after reproduction, even the slightest, but still...... Just a wonder? Xoxo”

 I said that “A nasty thief (a leech)might be able to steal a quote (or three), but they can’t get inside my head and tell the story the way I will tell it. I used to be afraid of sharing, but now I refuse to stop being me just because our world breeds a bit of scum. I will do what makes me happy and will share my progress (I find it inspiring), and if some low life, pile of non-imaginative dung reaches for something that belongs to me... well, they will have to live with the fact that they are less than yesterday’s putrid garbage after it was eaten by the dog and vomited in the gutter.

...um, I might feel a bit strong about the topic LOL”

A Wicked Darling who started blogging very recently, told me, “You make me want to be brave. I’m thinking about publishing part of one of my stories on my blog. Maybe all of it, as soon as see what is safe to show to people.”

I sent her Rhissanna’s comment: “Mr N [another writer] and I have similar worries [plagiarists’ nasty habits]. I’m ok with passages and extracts, it’s putting out a synopsis we won’t do.”

I think the latter is excellent advice for writers who share their work online. I’ve shared quotes, blurbs, web serials… and I love doing it. I know it’s not completely safe—there are people out there who wouldn’t recognize ethics if it kicked them in the teeth and called them nasty names.

I’ve had a few of my things stolen. It hurts and infuriates me every time. Will that keep me from sharing my writings online? Nope; the thrill of reading that someone enjoys something I wrote is a lot more powerful than any emotion a plagiarist might evoke in me.

Still, I’m careful with what I publish online. I never forget that the price of exposure is exactly that—I’m exposed… to the encouragement that comes from great people and to the malice that oozes from thieving piles of non-imaginative dung.

Your thoughts, my Wicked Luvs…

Carnival of Bones by SunshineShelle
Her heart is exposed, but she isn’t afraid of having a good time…

20 comments:

  1. I'm terrible...I think I've shared a whole book full of poems I've written over the years....but then I never intended writing as a profession. I write and give Blessings and Prayers freely, but if I were to try writing a story, I would probably be more careful and release in snippets like you do :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm... Maybe you should put all those poems in a book and let the world have a blast ;-D

      Delete
  2. You know I'm terror stricken by the whole thing, LOL. I feel like I have a bunch of things burbling in me, but yes, I'm scared of things getting stolen too (among other things). These baby steps I'm taking into the world of writing feel very, very big to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing publicly is not for the fainthearted... We don't only have to worry about the fact that someone might just explode and tell us that our stuff sucks (very publicly), but there are also those who will steal the fruit of our muses' sweet. Not cool. Yet, the alternative is even more uncool, methinks.

      Delete
  3. I love that you are not thwarted by the soulless from sharing your talent and views. You are braver than most of us though. We all have to weigh the costs of our endeavors. As I have said, I have see my "arting" copied and when younger was offended. Now I can finally see that either of two things are happening.....the first is they like it and wanted to try it, the second is they are lazy and just took my idea. Either way, my original can never be duplicated because theirs does not have my heart in it. It's all good. Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my bravery is more than half bullheadedness. I can't stand the thought of other people's meanness and lack of ethics dictating the way I do my thing. Screw them quite royally, I say. And, like a wise soul out there mentioned, "my original can never be duplicated because theirs does not have my heart in it. It's all good."

      Delete
  4. the exact emotions that I struggle with daily in my choices on what to release what not to and what to keep writing....its our vulnerable side we expose when we do this, it is not easy but it shows that we keep growing forward....and yes I worry at times too for I am human, as evolved as I want to be I still have all the human moments of wondering what the malicious ones will ooze with, must be the little evil in me thats says ok then here I go being vulnerable so let's see just how ugly you can be and I do it anyway.......the stolen stuff well I have seen my photos and other things displayed on other pages and such too, most run when you confront them others get ugly, truth is there is alot more of it that happens but goes unseen, connections unmade I figure it is what it is, some things are easier to let go of for me than others......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, sometimes I wonder how people can sleep at night knowing that they pilfered a piece of someone's soul. The bastards...

      Delete
  5. I am not a writer, but as an Artisan I, too have had my designs and ideas appropriated.

    I am so very tired of hearing "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" - like flattery is a good thing. It is by definition insincere.

    With nothing that I can do about it, I console myself with my Dear Husband's reminder that people may approximate my work but they can never duplicate. The originality lives and dies with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one needs "flattery" at that price.

      Your dear husband is very wise, and I totally agree with him. I think Oma Linda does, too ;-)

      Delete
  6. That is one of the nicest things I've heard in a long time: "You make me want to be brave." What a wonderful compliment. Soak it up, Magaly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Ms Misantropia you and I feel the same. Those words made me so happy that I printed them out, and plan to pin it to a cork board (I will buy it on Saturday, and soak it up for always ;-).

      Delete
  7. I've two thoughts on the matter. First, as Rhissanna said, our work is put up in segments and there are no outlines. Even Mabel Bunt, who has had lots of chapters put up is just the tip of the Iceberg. From here, I should confess to those reading, you'll be receiving progress reports, excerpts, and small doses, but as we've reached the meat of the story where all the good ideas start to come out...we're holding that back for self-publication. Share, don't share everything is my feeling on the matter. Everyone needs a little mystique.

    Secondly? What exposes you, also protects you. If someone did lift from Mabel Bunt, or was stupid enough to steal Alma Mia, we'd all know. We're readers and writers and friends. Sharing a little is like putting a stamp on things...see this? It's mine. So direct, cut and paste plagiarism would be foolish on a thief's part. But ideas? Those are harder to protect. Show care, show some, don't show all.

    As always, a wonderful Post Magaly. Thank you for putting the debate forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you, my beloved Narrator, said something that is always in my mind but I forgot to mention. The fact that my writing is so public gives me some power over it--people know my style. Yep, exposure comes with its shield. Good times ;-)

      Delete
  8. I agree with everything you have said! It's like me with my art. My sister-in-law has said, you should put a water mark infront of your art. I don't want to do that. I guess it's the chance you have to take, when being on the internet! Keeping being you ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as we can keep being us together, my friend. You know I love your earth, happy go lucky style. Perhaps because it's so similar to mine. Big hugs!

      Delete
  9. I suppose that if someone wants to steal writing, she or he will do it in any way, even if online is not available.
    What to do? We live in the age of information being accessible like never before. You cannot hide, and you cannot be afraid of each and everyone/thing. If sharing ideas, writing inspires you, then it is a right thing for you. Be happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a difficult thing to approach. We can try to be as safe as possible, but in the end... well, we have to follow the way that makes us happy. My way is described by one of my favorite quotes from The Thirteenth Tale: “silence is not a natural environment for stories. They need words. Without them they grown pale, sicken and die. And then they haunt you.”

      I will voice my tales :-D

      Delete
  10. Thank you so much for bringing up the subject in the first place, Magaly. There's been a lot of discussion between myself and Mr N as to what to do with our original work, aside from any issues from shared authorship. We're anxious about pushing our fictional babies into the stream, like some baby in a basket, but if we keep them at home, they'll never be seen. Like you, I think the risk of exposure is worth it, for the benefits that come from writers and readers sharing work. Before the internet, there weren't many venues for writers; now we have the world as our library and we can share work, find new writers, new readers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is exactly that, Rhissanna. We either bring our world-children out to the world, or leave them home to the company of... um, well, themselves. I don't quite like that alternative, so I guess we'll show them off while keeping an eye on dangerous eyes.

      Delete